Do Hybrids Have Fewer Accidents

Moving from my old SUV to the 400h took a change in driving mindset. I am more conscious of gradual starts and stops and anticipating traffic to get the best mpg out of the vehicle. It occurs to me i am also a safer driver as a result. Yes there are times when i am late, and i use the power of the 400h more aggressively, however 90% of the time im in the laid back hybrid mode of travel.

Does this translate into fewer accidents with hybrids in the real world? I am wondering if someone has empirical data to back this up or its just my imaginiation.

As a general rule, heavier vehicles should be driven more gently than a light vehicle, but I would guess that soaring fuel prices has had an effect on driving habits of many motorists. I know I have beed driving more conservatively.

However, I have been involved in an accident already! Some ignorant person backed into our RX400h at a gas station. While our RX is waiting to be repaired, we are renting a new Maxima. Nissan has set up the gearing and accelerator pedal resistance so that stepping on the gas pedal (after a complete stop) just an inch or so results in the car throwing its passengers back into their seats while spinning the tires. Dang, that acceleration shocked me the first time it happened. Gas mileage has GOT to suffer when driving that car!

I doubt theres any such data.

Agreed. But I bet some insurance company actuaries will be collecting/analyzing such data as they come in.

To me, another interesting question is whether there are increased health/injury risks when a crash occurs. I know Toyota has done its homework, but I'm curious to see the real-world data.

I would think that the purchase of a hybrid vehicle would make you think less of driving a car "softly". You should always be cautious when driving any vehicle, wether it's large or small. This is not saying that if i got a hybrid vehicle i would drive it like a maniac (by that i mean excessive use of the gas pedal, not overtaking or switching lanes constantly) just because it is assisted by an electric motor and saving gas. i think that being too cautious while trying to save gas (i.e. accelerating slowly) would be a problem because while you obviously shouldn't speed, you need to at least keep up with the flow of traffic.

:cheers:

I personally find myself driving more like a granny - but actually enjoying it.

Not always, but actually just thinking - do I really need to speed up here? I am doing 5mph over the speed limit... Let me sit back try to get the mileage back up.

I find myself driving more like a granny as well and not minding it, even more so i dont mind traffic jams as much because at least while im stuck im saving fuel. I imagine somewhere some insurance company has some prius accident history vs regularly fueled cars. Thank you all for your replies.

Semi on topic:

...even more so i dont mind traffic jams as much because at least while im stuck im saving fuel....

I have heard that idleing actually uses a significant amount of fuel. Is that true? I can see how a hybrid is efficent when idleing, becuase the electric motor is used at slow speeds. :blink:

Semi on topic:
...even more so i dont mind traffic jams as much because at least while im stuck im saving fuel....

I have heard that idleing actually uses a significant amount of fuel. Is that true? I can see how a hybrid is efficent when idleing, becuase the electric motor is used at slow speeds. :blink:

The Toyota hybrids idle much less often, compared to common vehicles, hence their fantastic city mileage.

I think that going from a gasoline car to a hybrid is less safe at first. My 400h came in 2 weeks ago, and i'll tell you; i'm still not used to it.

Personally, i find the hybrid harder to drive. I don't like the transition when the electric motor stops and the engine kicks in, i don't like how you can't hear the engine roaring when changing speeds, i don't like how it is so quiet at idling i'm not even sure if the car is on or not; i just find it harder to drive.

I feel less safe in it than any other lexus. That's just me.