Do You Like The Wood Trim Steering Wheel?

chimchim

What's your preference? My wife likes it, I hate it. She eveluates things on aesthetics, I evaluate things on functionality. The wood trim looks nice, but leather is a much better grip.

(BTW, where is the Add Poll option?)

In 1997 i leased a 1998 Ls400. It had the wood on the steering wheel. I HATED it at first since it was the first car that i owned that had it. But after a few years and when i got it on other cars i learned to love it.

now i love it!!! I'm extrememly mad that the rx400h doesn't have it. I hate the plain leather now. It feels so weird to me now. To me the leather just looks cheap.

My favorite steering wheel is the Gs430 and Rx300. The walnut on ivory leather. Love it!!

I don't really care for the color of the wood on the new Lexus models that go with the ivory interior. The wood it too yellow. Looks like the Rx300 coach that i had in 2003. I like the dark color.

I agree on the color of the 'yellow' wood, and their dark birdseye maple on the rx330 is no prize either. I dont mind the leather steering cover on the 400h, some people who wear rings have scratched the wood on thier non leather wheels.

Definitely wood.

In my opinion the leather can get scratched more easily from rings. Also the leather can absorb body oils or dirt from your hands and need to be cleaned. I like the fact that the wood can be cleaned easily and nothing "soaks in".

In my experience the wood lasts longer than the leather if your car sits in the sun too.

Tom

I agree on the color of the 'yellow' wood, and their dark birdseye maple on the rx330 is no prize either.  I dont mind the leather steering cover on the 400h, some people who wear rings have scratched the wood on thier non leather wheels.

These marks in the wood are called ring marks. When people who wear rings (unfortunatley me b/c i'm married LOL) they make these ugly dents and scratches galore in the clearcoat. It looks so horrible and there is simply no way to NOT get them unless you take the rings off etc.

Here is a picture of them on only a 2002 rx300. just imagine what they look like on a 10 year old car!! http://photos.ebizautos.com/3739/646691_20.jpg

Leather---dont like the looks of the half wood steering wheel

Thats one of the reasons I got the performance package on my RX because I really liked the leather on the wheel

I got the performance package also without wood...i perfer wood but a few family members prefer leather. The wood steering i dont mind...but on the shifter, it is really ugly with it being entirely wood. Some models of lexus come with half leather have wood shifters.

I prefer leather for better driver feel. But I don't mind the wood since it makes me feel like I'm getting something extra for my money.

Actually, I think leather costs more than wood. Wood just seems more expensive.

I love the looks of wood and the wear of leather, So wood for show and leather for go.

My wife and I both like the wood even out here in the heat of W TX.

Granted it will be slicker than leather, both will scratch, and the RX is so easy to turn (other than larger than normal radius) grip is not a big issue. Wood looks great!

Both have pros and cons.

We have a leather steering wheel on our Acura and birdseye maple wood on our 'coach' edition RX.

For looks, IMHO, you can't beat the wood. I find both equally hot in the summer but prefer leather in the East Coast Canadian Winter. You can get a better grip on it while wearing gloves. The price of gas these days, especially here, you don't let the car warm up any longer than you have to.

I just saw a 2001+ RX300 with one of those fluffy steering wheel covers today!!! how low is that?? I saw the blonde who owned the car....clueless..

who puts a $1.99 fluffy steering wheel cover on a $1500 wood/leather steering wheel, in a $43,000 car!!??

I found it amusing :chairshot:

I have leather on my RX 300 and I dislike it. The problem with leather on the steering wheel and on the gearshift is, like someone already pointed out, sweat, body oils and sun will eat the leather alive. Unless you really take care of it and clean and condition the leather, it will almost certainly degrade and crack with time. The wood, on the other hand, will look good indefinitely and help with resale value, aesthetics, etc.

I'm actually looking for a wood steering wheel to replace the leather one on my '99 RX 300, but they seem to be quite expensive. If anyone knows of a good deal on one, I would love to hear back.

I'd never had wood on the steering wheel until the RX330, and really didn't think I'd like it. But it really is a nice look, and suits the car well. I don't have any problems with grip, as the AC is on when the humidity is high. Ours is a medium-dark wood color, and my wife loves it.

I like wood grain, I owned a Explorer EB edition with black leather steering wheel and after 3 or 4 years the leather would leave black on my hands was embarassing when I would shake people hands.

It must have been cheap leather. I have a Wheelskin on my other car and I love it. Better grip, thicker grip, and it doesn't stain my hands. It's bee 15k miles so far with no cracking... and if it does I can always replace it with a new one.