Air Cond. On Ls 400

zippys

I got my first Lexus about a month ago... :D The sell told me he just had the AC recharged. It worked great, then I got into the car yesterday, and hot air. The climate temp says 69, but it feels like 169! I did the diagnostic code, and came up with 00, all systems go. I don't know if they used R-12 or what? My 400 is a 1990 with 180000...

any suggestions???

check to see if the a/c compressor is turning while the a/c is on you might have a leak or your compressor might have locked up

I don't know... Is the compressor on the drivers side? wouldn't the dreded ac light blink if it locked up?

Hello Zippys,

You are correct, if the compressor locks up, you will get a blinking light.

If you are out of freon the compressor will not turn, no blinking light.

It is on the driver's side.

Since your fan speeds are not blowing in the cabin, and I assume that is what you are referring to, and there is no code, I would start looking for a bad fuse or ac relay. Hopefully, you have an owners manual and can find the fuses and or relay. It could also be your ac control module.

My suggestion would be, if you have trouble locating the fuses, is to take it to a shop and have them give it a look.

If you are referring to the fans in front of the condensor, under the hood, they won't kick in until engine temp goes above normal. If those are the fans you are referring to, you will have to see if the compressor is turning when you turn on the ac. Right below and to the left of the battery. If it is not turning then you are out of freon and that means a leak. I am not sure if you get an error code with a bad compressor clutch. Let us know.

I got my first Lexus about a month ago... :D The sell told me he just had the AC recharged.  It worked great, then I got into the car yesterday, and hot air.  The climate temp says 69, but it feels like 169!  I did the diagnostic code, and came up with 00, all systems go.  I don't know if they used R-12 or what?  My 400 is a 1990 with 180000...

any suggestions???

I hate to tell you this but the AC in those early models had issues. I had the same issue on my '91 LS. Bite the bullet and replace it.

Sorry to be blunt, but been there done that.