Raced Yesterday

As I was headed to the local Wal-Mart yesterday, I came in comtact with an EVO who had it in for me. As we were neck and neck, a CIVIC joined the race. I took the CIVIC but couldnt overcome the EVO. My car is pretty much all show and no go. Current mods include K & N filter, body kit and 18" wheels with kuhmo tires. I believe the exhaust is stock and I installed aftermarket tips. Beautiful car but speed is a factor.

Here is the delimna.....the SC300 is automatic!

My question to you guys is, should I modify the hell out of the car or don't even think about it until I change it over to a manual shift?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

As I was headed to the local Wal-Mart yesterday, I came in comtact with an EVO who had it in for me.  As we were neck and neck, a CIVIC joined the race.  I took the CIVIC but couldnt overcome the EVO.  My car is pretty much all show and no go.  Current mods include K & N filter, body kit and 18" wheels with kuhmo tires.  I believe the exhaust is stock and I installed aftermarket tips. Beautiful car but speed is a factor.

My question to you guys is, should I modify the hell out of the car or don't even think about it until I change it over to a manual shift?

EVOs and WRXs are fast. They are 4WD. Don't expect to win easily.

Especially since the SCs are so heavy.

You ONLY have a intake as your sole "power" modification. Everything else doesn't matter. Therefore you will lose. Even if you changed over to a stick, you will still lose.

Only way, would be some form of forced induction.

As I was headed to the local Wal-Mart yesterday, I came in comtact with an EVO who had it in for me.  As we were neck and neck, a CIVIC joined the race.  I took the CIVIC but couldnt overcome the EVO.  My car is pretty much all show and no go.  Current mods include K & N filter, body kit and 18" wheels with kuhmo tires.  I believe the exhaust is stock and I installed aftermarket tips. Beautiful car but speed is a factor.

EVOs and WRXs are fast. They are 4WD. Don't expect to win easily.

Especially since the SCs are so heavy.

You ONLY have a intake as your sole "power" modification. Everything else doesn't matter. Therefore you will lose. Even if you changed over to a stick, you will still lose.

Only way, would be some form of forced induction.

get a turbo keep the auto.

Personally, I don't believe in sinking a whole helluva lot of money in a car that you are still paying on. Why add another 5-10 grand to a car that you just bought for 30 grand (which you really don't own anyway). Now, I understand everyone spends $$ on what they choose (i.e. my dogs cost 2k a piece) so I am not downing anyone for dropping $$ on a car that the bank owns. it is just not something that I would do....hence modding a 10 year old car.

With that being said, I talked to someone the other day that has an automatic pulling over 500 hp and and he said to start with a high performance tranny, then go from there. I am not looking to win any 1/4 mile runs at 10 seconds flat, but something that makes people say daaayuuummm when I zip past their little Civic.

Honestly, IMO, speed is nice and all, I mean, don't get me wrong, it is VERY nice to have the ability to "make poeple say daaayuuummm when [zipping] past their little Civics," but what the SC has that a Civic doesn't have is class and sophistication. I don't care how fast or modified a Civic is, it is still a Civic. The SC--a high end luxury GT--however, has a je ne sais quoi to it that can never be attained by a Civic. Those Evo's and WRX's ARE EXTREMELY FAST, but I have sat in an acquaintence's Evo before and honestly, just the feel of it wasn't as good as my SC and Supra. Then again, it all comes down to the driver altimately--if speed that is desired, get something along the lines of an Evo or SC; if class, refinement, and luxury is desired, then stay with the SC and perhaps modify it slightly, but not so much that it loses that quality. Cheers!

Honestly, IMO, speed is nice and all, I mean, don't get me wrong, it is VERY nice to have the ability to "make poeple say daaayuuummm when [zipping] past their little Civics," but what the SC has that a Civic doesn't have is class and sophistication.  I don't care how fast or modified a Civic is, it is still a Civic.  The SC--a high end luxury GT--however, has a je ne sais quoi to it that can never be attained by a Civic.  Those Evo's and WRX's ARE EXTREMELY FAST, but I have sat in an acquaintence's Evo before and honestly, just the feel of it wasn't as good as my SC and Supra.  Then again, it all comes down to the driver altimately--if speed that is desired, get something along the lines of an Evo or SC; if class, refinement, and luxury is desired, then stay with the SC and perhaps modify it slightly, but not so much that it loses that quality.  Cheers!

Maverick, you are absolutely correct. Although not the fastest thing on the streets, the SC does have the sophistication the above mentioned cars will never have. I have chosen to modify my SC slightly and will tastefully choose beautificaion and performance mods that enhance the cars performance and looks.

I had to evacuate Florida and head to Atlanta this weekend and noone could believe my car was a '95. It is a car that I feel comfortable in jeans and t shirt as well as a suit. Thanks Maverick, for bringing me back to the real reason I chose the SC over a Bimmer.

• 2 years later...
As I was headed to the local Wal-Mart yesterday, I came in comtact with an EVO who had it in for me. As we were neck and neck, a CIVIC joined the race. I took the CIVIC but couldnt overcome the EVO. My car is pretty much all show and no go. Current mods include K & N filter, body kit and 18" wheels with kuhmo tires. I believe the exhaust is stock and I installed aftermarket tips. Beautiful car but speed is a factor.

Well i would throw a turbo on it. keep it auto, and a performance chip depending on how much your willing to spend. GEt the speed you want.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a device on ebay for $ 9.99 plus $10.00 shipping that was quaranteed to increase the performance, HP, MPG, etc. My thoughts were "Ya Right", but then for just $20.00 I thought "what the heck, if it does not work, I am only out the $20.00". The device is a cylinderical shaped piece of metal about 3 inches in diameter, 2 inches deep with fins bent diagonally toward the middle of the cylinder. This device is installed in the plastic tube between the aircleaner & the trottle body. What the device is supposed to do is create a vortex with the air coming from the aircleaner thus allowing a larger volume of air to enter the throttle body faster. Upon arrival I installed the device in about ten minutes & took off for a test drive. I could not believe it. The datgum thing really works. More power, faster acceleration, smoother ride & after a week I noticed about 25 more miles per tank of gas. Still not the fastest out there but my car (1996 SC300) is a bit more fun to drive.

No worries, the motor in you SC is bullet proof and the bottom end can handle 1000 hp without mods. If you want it to goooo, you will need to turbo... You can get a Jap swap from an Aristo and get twin turbos or you can get a NA conversion to a single turbo. The problem is speed is not cheap.

I saw a device on ebay for $ 9.99 plus $10.00 shipping that was quaranteed to increase the performance, HP, MPG, etc. My thoughts were "Ya Right", but then for just $20.00 I thought "what the heck, if it does not work, I am only out the $20.00". The device is a cylinderical shaped piece of metal about 3 inches in diameter, 2 inches deep with fins bent diagonally toward the middle of the cylinder. This device is installed in the plastic tube between the aircleaner & the trottle body. What the device is supposed to do is create a vortex with the air coming from the aircleaner thus allowing a larger volume of air to enter the throttle body faster. Upon arrival I installed the device in about ten minutes & took off for a test drive. I could not believe it. The datgum thing really works. More power, faster acceleration, smoother ride & after a week I noticed about 25 more miles per tank of gas. Still not the fastest out there but my car (1996 SC300) is a bit more fun to drive.

Lol, you bought a Turbonator?

You sound like a salesman...

Hope you didn't sell your SC. Buddy I got wooped by an MR two weeks ago and I was in running @90 mph. Remember he's got a turbo you don't. Find a Twin turbo Supra w/ auto and swap it out. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg figuring out what goes where.

I've just finished installing my big brakes and working out the kinks. Next year I'll install the Engine, transmission and exhaust. just have patience and all your worries will wash away.

BTW you and I have similar taste. I have a red sc3 with the Vertex bodykit with a cheap(ebay) intake cone- sounds great. I went with the L-tuned GS430 18's wheels and a 5speed transmission.

Can you do me a favour and see if you have a limited Slip differential? We're not supposed to have one but mine has it.