Toyota "linked" With Pontiac?

LexKid630

I know this is a Lexus (well ES) forum but i had to ask...Is there a link between Pontiac and Toyota i am not aware of?

The pontiac Vibe's and Toyota Matrix's look tooooo similar. Who copied who? They're practically the same!!! LOL

Is the toyota Matrix better quality than the vibe? Strange...

PONTIAC VIBE

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...0&category=6386

TOYOTA MATRIX

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...category=107011

I would like to hear your opinions if you have any.

Toyota and GM have had a "partnership" going on 20 years. The Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix are fraternal twins built on the same platform. Both have Toyota engines, transmissions, suspensions and brakes. The Vibe is built in Freemont, California, US while the Matrix is built in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. Previous partnerships include the Toyota Corolla/Chevrolet Prizm.

As bossman said, the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix both have Toyota engines, transmissions, suspensions and brakes, just like the 1985 Chevy Nova and Toyota Corolla. So the Vibe will almost match a Matrix in reliability and durability.

Prior to 1985 I was a GM loyalist, then in 1986 I bought a Chevy Nova. Owning the Nova inadvertently introduced me to Toyota quality. Instead of constant expensive mechanical problems like I had with my prior GM cars, the Chevy Nova was extremely reliable and durable for the 234,000 miles I owned it. Like a fool, I sold the Nova at 234,000 miles because I wrongly believed it would soon "fall apart".

Wrong. The new owner drove it to 394,000 miles at which time it was totalled in a traffic accident.

Also, don't be surprised as other car manufacturers are going to releasing their own version of these two cars. Dodge will be releasing a replacement for the Neon platform that is supposed to look very similar to these vehicles.

Also, don't be surprised as other car manufacturers are going to releasing their own version of these two cars.  Dodge will be releasing a replacement for the Neon platform that is supposed to look very similar to these vehicles.

wow, things are getting a little wacky these days :wacko::wacko:

well the deal is that there is that the only import car out there that is not ownd by a domestic company is Honda all others were bought out . GM bought toyota and saab . ford bought mazda and nissan dodge bought mitsu

Uhhh no LOL. Who told you that?

Toyota is still independent, GM does own Saab, Nissan is owned in part by french carmaker Renault and Mitsubishi is also still independent although they've had some relationships with Chrysler similar to GM and Toyota.

GM couldn't afford Toyota. Toyota is the most financially sound of any of the carmakers, one day Toyota's gonna own GM.

Niether Ford or GM are in a position where they can buy anything...

Less we forget the imfamous experiment conducted in the mid 1990's as a result of the GM/Toyota partnership--the exportation to Japan of the "Toyota Cavalier." I know, I live just 20 minutes from Lordstown, which is now making the new Cobalt (aka. "Cavalier on botox")

Less we forget the imfamous experiment conducted in the mid 1990's as a result of the GM/Toyota partnership--the exportation to Japan of the "Toyota Cavalier."  I know, I live just 20 minutes from Lordstown, which is now making the new Cobalt (aka. "Cavalier on botox")

in canada mitu is owned by dodge i work at dodge when mitsu came in. in order for them to come to canada they had to remove the Eagle line dodge since it was the canadian virson (Eagle talon and stealth ) were disco to make room for the mitsu line as well the dodge dealers were given first shot at opening a mitsu dealer

a mitsu Eclips and Eagle talon are the same car just diffrent bumpers i work in a talon specelty shop working on talon and stealth's also the cross over Eclips and 3000GT. also dodge has been using the mitsu power plants in they car's since they early 80 in everything from 2000gtx to the old dodge D50 pickup and car's like the older 300m were mitsu through and through evern the oil filter were specal order and would coast about $30 for the filter man that made the customers mad

The ownership of these companies does not change from country to country lol. First of all Dodge is not a company and it can't own anything, its simply a marketing division of Daimler Chrysler. Daimler Chrysler does not own Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, they are independent.

That said, Chrysler and Mitsubishi have had a long relationship of sharing parts, platforms, even entire cars between the two of them. Niether company owns the other though. Daimler-Chrysler currently categorizes their relationship with Mitsubishi as a "strategic partnership". Daimler-Chrysler does own the Mitsubishi commercial truck division, Mistubishi Fuso. What "strategic partnership" means is each company holds stock in the other, but niether company holds a controlling interest in the other.

Check it out:

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom/0,,0-...0-0-0-0,00.html

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate...le/e/index.html

As for the 300M, while the derivitive of that engine came from Mitsubishi the older 300M was simply a re-tooled LH series cab forward sedan. It wasn't a rebadged Mitsubishi.

[quote=SW03ES,Jul 7 2005, 01:50

first off i'm not trying to say that any of the import company's today hav been complitly taken over but what i am saying is when you look at the amount of stock avalible on the market in each of these company's these companys are the one's that have go and bought the most avalible stock in wich company and in doing such what they have done is got enough controling intrest to be able to get access to all form's of parts and distro services even to the point of offreing the same model for car with only min or miner mods. when they dont have to desine and produce a part engien or entire car they save millions on the production. this has even in some cases help keep the company allive during servere economic times engines coast huge amounts of money to desine and test and many time's end up having recall's so they love to be able to save money and get a proven power plant .

also buddy as a mopar freak i only use two words when it comes to (daimler chrysler) they are DODGE or MOPAR daimler chrysler is the new name the company was originall named affter the two brothers how started it the Dodge Brothers the bilt the first engien with any relibity. affter a few years the company went under. at this point the brothers went to work for i belive ford desining engiens . Affter a few more years they reopend and around this time they introduct the chrysler brand and daimler chrysler name that is why to me they are simpley DODGE

also the 300 M was avalible in a mitsu modle they are verey rare and almost unknowen. the only way to tell is buy the vin or if you pop the hood. they rum a diffrent power train and had a tiptronic shift. there so rare that even at the dealer you would only see one about every 6 months. you would know when you were working on one when you went to the parts desk and there would be no parts parts would if you were luckey be at the warhouse but many time's had to be orderd from japan

first off i'm not trying to say that any of the import company's today hav been complitly taken over but what i am saying is when you look at the amount of stock avalible on the market in each of these company's these companys are the one's that have go and bought the most avalible stock in wich company and in doing such what they have done is got enough controling intrest to be able to get access to all form's of parts and distro services even to the point of offreing the same model for car with only min or miner mods. when they dont have to desine and produce a part engien or entire car they save millions on the production. this has even in some cases help keep the company allive during servere economic times engines coast huge amounts of money to desine and test and many time's end up having recall's so they love to be able to save money and get a proven power plant .

Huh?!? What are you talking about? Daimler Chrysler DOES NOT own a controlling interest of Mitsubishi Motors corporation. What I think you're describing (as best I can understand, you need to either slow down when you type or draft it in MS word for the spelling and grammar check first) is the strategic partnership the companies have. They work together to develop some platforms and powertrains but niether company has a controlling interest or owns the other.

also buddy as a mopar freak i only use two words when it comes to (daimler chrysler) they are DODGE or MOPAR daimler chrysler is the new name the company was originall named affter the two brothers how started it the Dodge Brothers the bilt the first engien with any relibity. affter a few years the company went under. at this point the brothers went to work for i belive ford desining engiens . Affter a few more years they reopend and around this time they introduct the chrysler brand and daimler chrysler name that is why to me they are simpley DODGE

Thats all well and good, but Dodge is not a company. And the Dodge brothers did not introduce the Chrysler name (Chrysler is named after Walter P Chrysler who ran Buick for a time and went off to create his own car company) and CERTAINLY not the DaimlerChrysler name. Daimler comes from DaimlerBenz, the parent corporation that aside from producing the first automobile ever has been parent company to Mercedes-Benz since its inception. The two companies "merged" (really Daimler bought Chrysler Corporation) about 6 years ago to form "Daimler Chrysler". The Dodge Brothers were first, but Dodge and Chrysler were independent until finally Chrysler purchased Dodge after the brothers died. The Dodge brothers had nothing to do with the Chrysler corporation. The Dodge brothers actually never went out of business, they contracted to build engines for Ford back before they built cars themselves and were paid with a percentage interest in Ford's company, that he later bought back from them.

So, it doesnt make any sense to call the company Dodge because they were simply purchased by Chrysler and pulled into the fold of the corporation. Dodge had nothing to do with the starting of Chrysler.

For some good history of all things Mopar go here:

http://allpar.com/history/

also the 300 M was avalible in a mitsu modle they are verey rare and almost unknowen. the only way to tell is buy the vin or if you pop the hood. they rum a diffrent power train and had a tiptronic shift. there so rare that even at the dealer you would only see one about every 6 months. you would know when you were working on one when you went to the parts desk and there would be no parts parts would if you were luckey be at the warhouse but many time's had to be orderd from japan

Why would you have to order parts from Japan for a car made in north America? I don't buy it, there's never been a Mistubishi on the LH cab forward platform. You're saying you would just find out this car was strange while you were working on it? Did it look like another model?!? If so then it may have had the 300M powerplant but it certainly wasn't a Mitsubishi model of the 300M.

I think this is something you need to do some more research on.

[

The model I am speaking of works in the same way that the Honda accord EX-R and integera works there are two models one built in north America and one in Japan the car’s are almost identical but have suttel and important differences in the in the accord like the 300 m they have different motors and trany’s the japans have a six speed auto transmission that has a final shift at 160kil dropping the rpm to 3500 for hispeed the north American model Ex-R dose not and the blocks and trans(japans, north American) are not interchangeable. The 300m 97-98 work the same way most were built in North America but a small few were built in Japan and have similar differences

Well then whats the model name? First of all the 300M came out in 1999, there was no 1997 or 1998 model.

300Ms built in Japan...where are you getting this stuff?

Again I direct you to that Mopar history site, they give an overview and history of every model. No mention of any ties to Mitsubishi, a Mitsubishi model, or any 300M being built in Japan. The 300M was sold in Japan...

You REALLY need to do some research.

Here's a great overview of the 300M

http://research.cars.com/go/crp/reviews.js...logtype=21&aff=