Es330 - 2005

MikeI

OK, I'm ready to buy my first Lexus......or......maybe an Acura.

Convince me to buy the Lexus ES330. My sister owns the RX300 (her second) and her husband owns an Acura.

I was at the Lexus dealers last week and they keep calling me and emailing me, when are you coming back? Are you ready to B-U-Y???? :pirate:

I'm leaning to the Lexus. What kind of a price can I expect off the sticker?

Thanks very much! :D

MikeI,

Really the only way to tell is for you to drive both offerings. I assume you are thinking Acura TL as the other vehicle. If so, its cheaper to buy, must use premium fuel, has a smaller interior, and goes like stink, with more of a stiffer european suspension, more of a driver's car. The ES is more expensive, can use 87 unleaded, has a larger interior, has a much softer suspension, and is more of a laid back highway cruiser. I considered both cars as well, liked the looks of the TL better, but went with the ES based on how well my wife and I had enjoyed our 97 ES. Really, you couldn't go wrong with either car, in my opinion. They are both built like Swiss watches. It comes down to what you feel you need in a car.

Lexus vs. Acura? Lexus wins in my opinion. Why? Lexus has statistically proven to offer better quality, reliability, dealer treatment and strong resale value. Furthermore, you feel the personal satisfaction of driving a respected luxury brand. Dont get me wrong though, Acura is definitely a nice luxury car, however, I just dont think their quality is all there yet.

Check out the Lexus Certified Program. It has a lot of benefits to offer plus you can save much more $$; again that's just my personal taste. The price will vary depending on what package/options are included. What are you interested in? Was it the Acura TL you were comparing the ES330 too?

Lexus vs. Acura?  Lexus wins in my opinion.  Why?  Lexus has statistically proven to offer better quality, reliability, dealer treatment and strong resale value.  Furthermore, you feel the personal satisfaction of driving a respected luxury brand.  Dont get me wrong though, Acura is definitely a nice luxury car, however, I just dont think their quality is all there yet. 

Check out the Lexus Certified Program.  It has a lot of benefits to offer plus you can save much more $$; again that's just my personal taste.  The price will vary depending on what package/options are included.  What are you interested in?  Was it the Acura TL you were comparing the ES330 too?

I looked at Acura, the G35 and the ES. The g35 has a BEAUTIFUL interior and crappy interior. Scrathed off the list.

The Acura, for me, had a ugly exterior.

The ES has a ugly exterior but LOVELY interior and isn't that what really matters?

Call me shallow, but I got the ES. Aside from a few inconsistent lurches traveling under 10 mph, it's just fine.

Good luck.

Lexus vs. Acura?  Lexus wins in my opinion.  Why?  Lexus has statistically proven to offer better quality, reliability, dealer treatment and strong resale value.  Furthermore, you feel the personal satisfaction of driving a respected luxury brand.  Dont get me wrong though, Acura is definitely a nice luxury car, however, I just dont think their quality is all there yet. 

Check out the Lexus Certified Program.  It has a lot of benefits to offer plus you can save much more $$; again that's just my personal taste.  The price will vary depending on what package/options are included.  What are you interested in?  Was it the Acura TL you were comparing the ES330 too?

It depends.

Lexus wins on ride quality and low noise levels. They have (on average) better quality and I like the way you're treated at the dealer. Other than the Lexus dealer's propensity to say that 'it's designed that way' to any problem in your car - from bad shifting to seat memory forgetting its position.

On the other hand, at least Acura knows how to make a car that shifts properly. Also, Acura has more power, better handling, and more options for the money.

Basically, if you can live with the crappy shifting on the Lexus and want a quiet ride, get the Lexus. If you want performance and handling or can't stand the shifting on the Lexus, get the Acura.

As for Lexus certified - I'd never buy one. You don't save enough money to make up for the fact that you're buying an older car.

I agree, Acura is cheaper and may be engineered to handle better than a Lexus. (Lexus is definitely not marketing the ES330 as a sporty car) Their intentions are golden for those drivers looking for a soft, luxurious, quiet and comfortable ride. Again, this is a personal opinion and preference, so that's why I would choose Lexus over Acura.

One thing I must question is: Why do you believe the Lexus certified program doesn't save people enough money?

I agree, Acura is cheaper and may be engineered to handle better than a Lexus. (Lexus is definitely not marketing the ES330 as a sporty car)  Their intentions are golden for those drivers looking for a soft, luxurious, quiet and comfortable ride.  Again, this is a personal opinion and preference, so that's why I would choose Lexus over Acura. 

One thing I must question is:  Why do you believe the Lexus certified program doesn't save people enough money?

Because every time I've looked at a CPO, the price was too close to the price of a new one. I'm not willing to accept a used car with 20 K miles to save $2-3,000.

I agree, Acura is cheaper and may be engineered to handle better than a Lexus. (Lexus is definitely not marketing the ES330 as a sporty car)  Their intentions are golden for those drivers looking for a soft, luxurious, quiet and comfortable ride.  Again, this is a personal opinion and preference, so that's why I would choose Lexus over Acura.  

One thing I must question is:  Why do you believe the Lexus certified program doesn't save people enough money?

Because every time I've looked at a CPO, the price was too close to the price of a new one. I'm not willing to accept a used car with 20 K miles to save $2-3,000.

Sometimes you have to turn to CPO to get "what you want." Say someone HATED the new lights and features of the 05 Es330's and liked the 04's better. They would most likely look for a CPO 04 that was in good condition, and save a few $$$ there. Just to get what they want.

I just recently bought a 2003 CPO rx300 for my daughter because she wants the rx300. Unfortunatly (well not really LOL) they don't make the rx300's anymore, so the 03 was the newest. Therefore CPO is looking kinda great!!

Sometimes you have to turn to CPO to get "what you want." Say someone HATED the new lights and features of the 05 Es330's and liked the 04's better. They would most likely look for a CPO 04 that was in good condition, and save a few $$$ there. Just to get what they want.

I just recently bought a 2003 CPO rx300 for my daughter because she wants the rx300. Unfortunatly (well not really LOL) they don't make the rx300's anymore, so the 03 was the newest. Therefore CPO is looking kinda great!!

I guess that makes sense.

I can't recall ever being that much in love with one feature, though. Also, if I were in that situation, I'd still probably buy new - even if I had to buy a different car. I just don't like the idea of paying nearly new prices for used cars.

That's the only bad thing about buying used cars. You don't know who the previous driver or driverS were like.

I know that i would NEVER want a car that had been driven by my wife or i, for example. i will be perfectly honest, i'm pretty aggressive and don't baby my cars. I put close to 40,000+ miles on them a year and dump them after 3 or 4 years depending on how bad of shape they're in.

Just last month i traded my other 03 rx300 in to the dealer for an LS430. That rx300 had almost 75,000 miles on it, and was on its way out with the transmission. But the exterior was VERY clean, i always keep the interiors clean, it had navigationl it was beautiful. I bet someone else owns it right now thinking they got a good deal.

Buying used is just a chance.

That's the only bad thing about buying used cars. You don't know who the previous driver or driverS were like.

I know that i would NEVER want a car that had been driven by my wife of i, for example. i will be perfectly honest, i'm pretty aggressive and don't baby my cars. I put close to 40,000+ miles on them a year and dump them after 3 or 4 years depending on how bad of shape they're in.

Just last month i traded my other 03 rx300 in to the dealer for an LS430. That rx300 had almost 75,000 miles on it, and was on its way out with the transmission. But the exterior was VERY clean, i always keep the interiors clean, it had navigationl it was beautiful. I bet someone else owns it right now thinking they got a good deal.

Buying used is just a chance.

yikes, mispoke! The G35 has a lovely exterior and crappy interior.

Lexus vs. Acura?  Lexus wins in my opinion.  Why?  Lexus has statistically proven

Yes it was the Acura TL. Money's not the issue I just wanted some input. Also what kind of a 'deal' can I expect to make?

As a soon to be former Chrysler and GM owner and this being my 1st luxury automobile I needed other drivers input. In about 4 weeks I hope to join the ranks of Luxus drivers! :D

I love the ES but check out the 05 G35 before you buy the ES. Its more sporty and the interior is much better than that of previous years.

Comes down to what you like. Luxury and comfort = Lexus (no doubt), sporty = any other "luxury" company

I love the ES but check out the 05 G35 before you buy the ES.  Its more sporty and the interior is much better than that of previous years.

Comes down to what you like. Luxury and comfort = Lexus (no doubt), sporty = any other "luxury" company

Yeah, I forgot to mention the Infiniti G35. It's about halfway between the Acura TL and Lexus ES330 in both sportiness and luxuriousness. However, some people don't like the seats, so be sure to take an extended test drive.

I was actually looking for a good, quality comfortable vehicle. I checked out the Lincoln, Cadillac and Lexus. After test driving all three and listening to countless hours of sales raps, warranty pitches and standard features. I chose the 2005 ES 330. I paid $33,900 without the nav and Mark Levinson system. The car handles great I cant get over how quiet the car is and i just love the smell of the leather.

Like the previous posts, test drive both cars and when all else fails pull out the ole gut feeling. BTW the ES330 requiires 91 octanne or higher per the owners manual

Actually I found the G35 to be less luxurious than the TL. The G35 is smoother but its smoother because its better engineered and more refined, its more like a BMW compared to the ES. The comparable car to the ES from Infiniti is the I35 but its sadly outdated and I believe discontinued...

Pops- I think you may have read the manual incorrectly, the ES requires 87 but 91+ is "reccomended for best performance" but it will run on 87, and I've never heard anyone complain about a reduction in performance.

OK, well I bought a new ES330 last week. It's a georgeous Alabaster Metallic with heated and cooled seats, rear sunshade, 6-CD, etc. Passed up on the NAV and Mark Levinson. I too looked at the Acura, the Infiniti G35, Avalon among others. After some pretty good research: Consumer's Reports, forum like this, car reviews, etc. and a couple of test drives, I concluded that the ES was by far the best deal for the money. The Avalon was a close second but I did not like the stying or the interior as much as the ES. The posts about the transmission problems did give me pause, I'll admit but in the end it was not enough to keep me from the ES. When I saw the car with the colors and options that I wanted on my dealer's lot, I couldn't resist. Although I have only been driving it only a week now, I think I made the right choice. Good luck on yours.

OK, I'm ready to buy my first Lexus......or......maybe an Acura.

Convince me to buy the Lexus ES330.  My sister owns the RX300 (her second) and her husband owns an Acura. 

I was at the Lexus dealers last week and they keep calling me and emailing me, when are you coming back?  Are you ready to B-U-Y????  :pirate: 

I'm leaning to the Lexus.  What kind of a price can I expect off the sticker?

Thanks very much!  :D

Congrats to the new ES330 owners! I have been driving one for the last few days as a loaner car. My 97 ES is at the dealer for some routine maintenance.

I wasn't "sold" on the latest gen ES; but after driving one for the last few days, I could see myself owning one now. Something about the car sitting in my drive way and having all my neighbors drool over it might have something to do with it. ;) Lexus has the right appoach, though. After I told my neighbors it was a loaner car, and about the service I get whenever I go back for anything, they were surprised that a dealer would go to such lengths to keep a customer coming back. So they're going shopping for one this week, and dragging another friend with them who's in the market!

My only issue with this model is that it just reminds me WAY too much of the Camry...I KNOW I KNOW...we shudder when we hear such comaprisons, but I think Toyota goofed on this one (design wise). However, the ride and comforts in the Lexus are extraordinary! The heated/cooled seats? I am in awe! After the hot weekend we had, I have been sold more than ever!!

Sadly, she has to go back today.

My bro-in-law bought a TL back in November, and although I'm all about performance, I just don't think Acura keeps up with the Lexus in style, refinement, and service. The G35 sedan? Can it look more cheaper on the outside? The nose on that car is hideous. I don't know what it looks like inside, but I can't get past how ugly it is to want to get into one. Jaguar = Ford, do I need to go on?

That's my $.02 cents on this...great thread!