O/d Light Flashing

tleader

The O/D light is flashingin my 91 LS400. The tranny seems to be working fine, with no mishaps. The O/D switch works, and when it is switched on, the light starts to flash, but the car DOES go into overdrive. I have not noticed any problems thus far, but according to the manual, it is saying there is a major transmission failure. Anyone got any ideas, or know if there is a sensor out? Could it be the beginning of a transmission failure? Any help would be appreciated.

• 10 months later...

I actually had this happen to my 91 once. Has not happend again and except for the trac light being on (still working thru that to find a cause), everything works fine.

any ideas

My old 91 Honda Accord had a "S" light (meaning sport shift mode) that let you know if you was in "sport" shift, rather than normal. It started flashing on my car. According to the owners manual- it signals transmission problems if it flashes. I noticed that the speedometer was also fluctuating as well. Also too- when it would flash- it would not go into 4th gear (overdrive). It turned out to be a bad speed sensor on the transmission. Replaced it and all was fine. Although I have no idea- it may be a similar problem on your car. Does the speedometer fluctuate at all? If the transmission is shifting well and it seems to be going into "lock-up" OK, then I would just drive it. It may just be the sensor that controls the "O/D" light is going out. I have no idea. Perhaps someone else here will have more insight on this.

• 8 months later...
The O/D light is flashingin my 91 LS400.  The tranny seems to be working fine, with no mishaps.  The O/D switch works, and when it is switched on, the light starts to flash, but the car DOES go into overdrive.  I have not noticed any problems thus far, but according to the manual, it is saying there is a major transmission failure.  Anyone got any ideas, or know if there is a sensor out?  Could it be the beginning of a transmission failure?  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a new Lexus member. My 1991 LS400 has the same problem, the O/D Off light is flashing. What have you found out. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome!

As stated, my old 1991 Honda Accord LX sedan did this as well. Owners manual stated that it meant transmission required service. Turned out being a bad transmission speed sensor on the transmission. I have no idea if this could be a LS400 problem or not.

Hello and welcome!

As stated, my old 1991 Honda Accord LX sedan did this as well.  Owners manual stated that it meant transmission required service.  Turned out being a bad transmission speed sensor on the transmission.  I have no idea if this could be a LS400 problem or not.

Thanks for your suggestions. Also my cruise control does not engage. The cruise control light is lit on the dashboard, but when I tried to set, it would not engage. Well I took my 91 LS to the Lexus dealer and they said the ECU was bad. It needs to be replaced at $1567.00 plus labor. Ouch!! Well I think I'll live with it for now. The car runs fine, it shifts nicely.

I found this question on the UK LOC site. Maybe you could email the poster and see if they found anything out. Sometime I think Lexus ought to put a light on the dash that is green and shaped like a dollar sign.

Donalex Nov 7 2004, 10:30 AM Post #1

New Club Member

Group: Members

Member No.: 8043

Lexus Model:LS400

I have an early LS 400 (1991) fitted with a 3 speed plus overdrive transmission.

A few miles into any trip I get the amber O/D light flashing slowly. The main dealer refuses to tell me what this indicates.

Can anyone out there with a workshop manual advise what this little amber light is trying to tell me please?

Thanks in advance,

Don Alexander Warsash, England :angry:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=17728

• 4 years later...

Using the code reading tutorial from LexLS.com, I got error code 42 indicating a problem with the #1 speed sensor circuit (backup sensor). The car shifts normally and exhibits no hint of a problem other than the flashing indicator. Each time I drive the car, it takes some time for the O/D OFF indicator to start flashing, which I don't believe is indicative of a reset in the circuit with each drive cycle.

Since electronics sometimes glitch and need to be hard rebooted, I decided to pull the 20A EFI fuse to reset the ECU, clearing the stored codes. I then drove for a good distance with no indication of a problem (no flashing indicator).

UPDATE:

The issue returned after remaining dormant for quite a while. Now pulling the fuse to reset the ECU only resolves the flashing O/D OFF indicator for one run cycle. Once the car is started a 2nd time, the flashing is back. Also, the cruise control will not engage with the fault condition present. I guess I'll have to look into this further.

Bogey

updated June 20, 2009, 12:35 PM