Rx 330 Braking

kh046

I am just wondering which part do I need to replace or fix on my RX 330 which has about 28K. When driving at or above 50mph +, while braking, my RX starts to vibrate hard from the steering wheel. I was wondering, if it is my brakes that needs to be replace OR is it my rotor that needs resurfacing. Any ideas before I take it in to my dealer?

Thanks

The rotors are warped, i amguessing the harder you press and the higher the speed the more noticable the shake in the steering wheel is.

You can resurafe them but i prefer to just replace them as resurfacing increases the chances of them warping again faster . The main reason is you are now causing them to be cut straight but now the rotors are unbalanced and have different amounts of metal on the circumfrance this can cause even moer issues later.

Rotor warping comes from being too agressive on the brake pedal causeing higher heat levels which when cooled fast like when it is raining or the car is being washed the forces of extreme cooling causes the rotors to warp.

I am just wondering which part do I need to replace or fix on my RX 330 which has about 28K.  When driving at or above 50mph +, while braking, my RX starts to vibrate hard from the steering wheel.  I was wondering, if it is my brakes that needs to be replace OR is it my rotor that needs resurfacing.  Any ideas before I take it in to my dealer?

Thanks

If rotors check out OK, the vibration when braking at higher speeds can also be caused by cupped tires - uneven wear. I had this happen on a different vehicle - took some time to diagnose. As mentioned earlier, rotor is highest probability. Consider examining tires if rotors check out OK.

I am just wondering which part do I need to replace or fix on my RX 330 which has about 28K.  When driving at or above 50mph +, while braking, my RX starts to vibrate hard from the steering wheel.  I was wondering, if it is my brakes that needs to be replace OR is it my rotor that needs resurfacing.  Any ideas before I take it in to my dealer?

Thanks

I go with the rotors too. You can have them turned at least once to true them. $15-$20 each. You could rotate the tires front to back and either confirm or elimanate tire problems.

Keith

• 1 month later...

I finally took my RX330 to my dealership. They took a look the rotors and called me back regarding it. The advisor told me that I had warped rotors. They were able to replace both of the front rotors under warranty. :lol:

Just an FYI. The rotors is not getting warped. It is the pads transferring material to the rotor. The pads needs to be soft to have full brake power also when being cold. Then they easily overheat and at that point transfer material to the rotor.

But when it is handled under warranty - who cares.

PeO.

• 11 months later...

The rotors are warped, i amguessing the harder you press and the higher the speed the more noticable the shake in the steering wheel is.

You can resurafe them but i prefer to just replace them as resurfacing increases the chances of them warping again faster . The main reason is you are now causing them to be cut straight but now the rotors are unbalanced and have different amounts of metal on the circumfrance this can cause even moer issues later.

Rotor warping comes from being too agressive on the brake pedal causeing higher heat levels which when cooled fast like when it is raining or the car is being washed the forces of extreme cooling causes the rotors to warp.

Very helpful! I am experiencing this very problem. I have 70k on my car and I get this shaking only when I brake from high speeds. Looks like I'll have to get some new rotors and replace them when I get my brake pads replaced.

Have you guys ever had it done? If so, how much does it cost to replace or to resurface the rotors? Thanks for all the advice.

Well, first, resurfacing really means turning them on a lathe to insure that they are "true" and not warped. you are removing a few thousandths of an inch by turning them. This does reduce the mass of the rotor and does accelerate its wear for the next warping. I have only had my '05 330 for 18 months and have no long term experience with them. Oth, my 93 Acura Legend with almost 116000 miles on it has the original rotors that have never been turned. If a rotor isn't warped there isn't any reason to resurface it. This is one of the mechanics greatest and easiest ways to generate money.

If you suspect the rotor is warped have it evaluated before you pay for new rotors and the labor to change them out. Your mechanic will need a dial indicator (and the knowledge and ability to use it - duh) to test a rotor. If he doesn't have one, go to someplace that can use one. This is a ten minute test at best and I would guess that since Toyota put the word Lexus on it, the rotors are more than the cost of gold.

Bottom line? Make sure you have warped rotors and then turn them once. After that they usually are too thing to turn on a lathe.

Gary

• 1 year later...

Have you guys ever had it done? If so, how much does it cost to replace or to resurface the rotors? Thanks for all the advice.

Well, first, resurfacing really means turning them on a lathe to insure that they are "true" and not warped. you are removing a few thousandths of an inch by turning them. This does reduce the mass of the rotor and does accelerate its wear for the next warping. I have only had my '05 330 for 18 months and have no long term experience with them. Oth, my 93 Acura Legend with almost 116000 miles on it has the original rotors that have never been turned. If a rotor isn't warped there isn't any reason to resurface it. This is one of the mechanics greatest and easiest ways to generate money.

If you suspect the rotor is warped have it evaluated before you pay for new rotors and the labor to change them out. Your mechanic will need a dial indicator (and the knowledge and ability to use it - duh) to test a rotor. If he doesn't have one, go to someplace that can use one. This is a ten minute test at best and I would guess that since Toyota put the word Lexus on it, the rotors are more than the cost of gold.

Bottom line? Make sure you have warped rotors and then turn them once. After that they usually are too thing to turn on a lathe.

Gary

Greetings,

I'm a newbie and joined this forum to see if someone is experiencing a similar issue that I am on my 2004, rx330 with 28k miles. After reading this string it sounds very similar. The difference is that i have a hard time repeating the brake juddering at high speed but when it does happen, it usually translates into brake juddering, steering wheel vibration and then a loss of power. Once I slow down or come to a stop, all returns to normal. I've had the vehicle in to the dealer for several issues. Is there a reason why brake juddering at high speed could also translate into loss of power? Note this does not happen often but when it does, it's frightening and the braking power is severly reduced, hence i'm very concerned since my wife drives around with my 2 year old in this vehicle. Any suggestions?

We had the same vibration from the front under braking occur, and the Lexus dealership turned the rotors under warranty - that was at about 20K miles. (we live on a pretty steep hill, and it's tough to get the rotors warmed up before you need to really brake hard).

We went back for a 30K service and felt that an alignment was due (due to a curb/parking incident), and the same dealer told us that all of the rotors needed replacement, as they were not within tolerance (not enough material to turn). The estimate was $1000 for all 4 wheels. Brought the vehicle home, pulled the front wheels, mic'd them (still plenty of material for a mild turn/cleanup and stay within spec), took them to the local auto parts store, had them turned for $10/each, put them back on, and they worked perfectly for another 25K miles.

I've been told the one of the fastest ways to get a warped rotor is to apply heavy braking when the rotors are cold. They get hot-spots on them, or don't heat evenly, and warp. If they have a chance to warm up, (light braking will do it quickly), there may be less chance to warp them.