Detailing Nightmare!

akewlguy

For $325 I got one bad job!!

* Scratched dash light cover

* Broke floor panel

* Leather seams were full of dirt and residue

* Coffee spill on side of car was not cleaned up

* Rusty paint chip was painted over ?Wet sand?

* No armor all applied to any interior.. Dusty dirty dash..

* Cup holder and middle dash dirt, bugs and grime

* Rust chip.. Rust will come through in 6 months.. Owner I did not

sand/paint, but bring back in 6 months.. (wet sand)

* All rubber door seals are full of dirt!

Of course on top of this I had my father work the deal!! Idiot asked my wife to get it!! What an as. How the hell would she know what he worked out!!

Well reguardless I went to place and this is what happened.. Do you think I can cancle charge on credit card... File Better Business Report.. Any advice appreciated.. This little puke is lucky I did not bounce his head off the concrete!!

When I reviewed job completed I noticed all of issues above. After reviewing

with my father and wife they both agreed I should definitly take LEXUS back

to cleaner.

When I arrived to 60 Mapel St I stated I liked some of the work, but I had a few concerns.

After showing owners wife (Pam) my concern she stated "she is very sorry and requested I go up stairs while she cleans car"

After 20 mnutes she came up stairs when I informed her "I expected great work from a previously used and reffered company.. Is this normal?" Wife stated she was very sorry and workers, but different workers

complete job and some wear glasses.. She also stated "when leather is wet

its possible one would not recognize the dirt and grime. Also she usually

looks over the interior, but did not this time. She does not use armor all

unless requested, due to the amount of detail required." During this lady

was very nice, professional and polite.

When we went outside wife stated she was extremely

sorry and then proceded to show me her progress.. Wife cleaned leather back seats, dash assembly, cup holder and

cleaned up coffee spill. At this point I questioned why was the engine not cleaned.

Owner stated he did not think it was requested, but spent 5 minutes

looking up some data.. Owner stated "will you be back in 6 months we can do

it then..?"

At this point I stated "for $325 bucks I would think it would be done since

other places charge $160 for similar job.." Owner stated "This car has

100,000 miles on it so it would need a serious cleaning.. (after looking at

engine) he charges $25 dollars for engine, but after chemical application it

would have to be buffed/cleaned again for $50.

The bottom line is I expected to get what I paid for.. I have had two other

cars detailed and 1/2 the car was far from meeting my minimal expectations..

On top of that there is unresolved issues, scratched dash light cover and a

broken floor panel..

Left returned 45 minutes later after researching company website and talking to father about expected details:

Informed owner that passenger leather seams were full of dirt and residue.

Could this be cleaned and what would it cost to clean engine.. After owner stated

yeah we will do it he said this is a 12 year old car a few times... I guess this

means clening should be less for a customer with a car other then new..?

After that I informed him (not wife) that I was far from

happy. My father brought you car and you stated the whole car would look

great.. All of the seams in my leather were dirty and my center consul was

horrible.. Nothing had armor all and for $325 bucks I don't get it..?

Owner angrily repeatly stated "people make mistakes..! This is a 12 year old car and people make mistakes.." I said "I know, but its been two times and these are

serious mistakes when the leather is filthy, coffee stains, caked dirt in the seals and center consul.." He then slammed my passenger side door close.. I stated "how dare you slam my door shut..!" He started yelling and said "GET OUT, GET OUT, GET OUT!"

I said "you just slammed my door and did not finish the job.. I will make

sure everyone I knows hears about your work!!" He then stated "okay okay

stop it stop it.." Sorta realizing that the job is not done and his own wife

admitted to their faults.. I repeated "you slammed my door and I you did not

do the job I will make sure others know."

At this point I got in my car and he aggressively came towards the car

yelling "get out, get out of here, get out..." I left business location.

As I was pulling away I heard him say "You are a rich punk......"

This little puke was a 5'5 140lb moron.. I was calm and cool, but I was so close to pounding his face in the earth..

The cost was like 215 for the rims & detail job.. Then touching up a few minor scratches and blemishes 110 dollars.. After cooling down the outside does look good.. But the car was garaged for 13 years and not drove in the winter so it should look good!

Typically people charge about $160 bucks around Connecticut to detail a car..

wow sounds like some experience ive never gottne my car detailed i do it myself a little miquirs wax, leather spray, armor all does the trick quite fine and some hot spray for the tires really brings the cars shine out

Not to cheat you, but for $325, I would get into that line of work, and send the car out for detailing and it would be around $225 and I would make $100 for driving your car to a detailer and pick it up also.

I wouldn't pay for it, since you used your credit card, and you have already complaint to the owners wife, and she acknowledge it, I would write to the credit card company when you get your bill, and challenge it. you won't pay a finance charge or late fee if you are contesting it. You don't have to be rich to get cheated. :censored::censored:

Hey ladies and gents.. Yeah I was so pisted off I have informed about 100 people today about my experience and everyone is like you are wright.. For 325 bucks this detailing job should have exceded your expectations.. After seeing how bad the inside details were I got picky, but the way the owner acted he is lucky I did not pound his head into the ground..

A wonderful day, but a bad experience.

One good thing is the credit card company stated I can challenge and they will take care of it.. Maybe since I have a 20000 dollar credit limit and the "platinum" card they will take care of me..

For sure I am going to enjoy detailing my car next time. Or pay the local guy $130 bucks for the job! Cheers my friends!

theres nothing liek spending a weekend detailing your car id never trust anybody with my car id rather take my time to clean it up and wash it down after all if u do it yourself you kno what your doing and u dont need to wory about a part not being clean and breaking something because when its your own belonging youll have extra care but for $325 i would definatly complain and not a little complain either i would get my money back or get the guy to do it again while i watch him. whenever i have soemthing done to any of my cars i go to the back and watch the mechanic just to make sure i kno whas going on and i dont have any unexpected surprises when i go home after all if the guys doing what hes suppose to they shoudlnt argue with you watching them do there job it is your money after all

--but your car does look really nice cant go wrong with the onyx black now add a darker tint to it and it will really set the car off maybe even some rims :D

Yeahhh the car does look great!! I am going to get 15 tint on the back and 30 on the front side windows.. The rims will be 17" after the winter... Also I already ordered the bumper clear lights.. Also I am getting xenon lights..

All I can say is thanks to you guys for all the great advice.. This Lexus owners club was worth the $50 bucks.. Cheers to LEXUS

I guess after a day I reviewed my list and realize the wife did complete some of the list when I returned the first time.. This is what remains. I have never heard of a place not armor alling the car, but for $325 I expected beyond my expectations.. When I realized the dash and leather was not touched I was aggrivated.. Then throw in the touch up was more or less run around the car with the paint marker instead of wet sand..? The guy did later say he did a lot of work on the pumper.. Right then I knew he was an idiot since no one lays on the ground and says nice bumper..

* Broke floor panel

* Leather seams were full of dirt and residue

* Rusty paint chip was painted over ?Wet sand?

* No armor all applied to any interior.. Dusty dirty dash..

* Cup holder with dirt and grime "Best she could do in 20 minutes"

* Rust chip.. Rust will come through in 6 months.. Owner I did not

sand/paint, but stated bring back in 6 months.. (wet sand)

* All rubber door seals are full of dirt!

* When I open the sun roof it is dirty with residue on the outside

The whole thing is I went to school for 8 years in business and was thinking about typical cost and what I paid (160 vs. 250 (+75 for paint touch up)). On top of that I know custmomer service working in resteraunt industry for 10 years and our seafood company for 3 years. After the serious flaws in my detailing this idiot should have just stated we will clean the engine and take care of our additional problems like my wife did.

Instead he was so hot headed he just about jumped in my face yelling people make mistakes!!! Your car is 12 years old!! I think what *BLEEP*ed me off is the bull *BLEEP* about my car 12 years old and the engine with almost 100k on it!! Then when he slammed the door I was pisted, but thought about my options quickly..

1. One should I bounce this guys head off the pavement.. For sure not off the car.

2. If this as. hits me should I let him then pound his face into mush.

3. How close do I let him get before I kick his as.

4. Tell him I will inform everyone I know about this experience

Well obviously I chose the most professional route, but it was hard.

Now I realize why his wife is the key to customer service.

I guess when one has a problem with a detailing job they look even harder for minor issues.. I have pictures and today I will take more for proof when I chalenge with credit card:

post-17623-1119096931_thumb.jpg

post-17623-1119096975_thumb.jpg

post-17623-1119097018_thumb.jpg

post-17623-1119097028_thumb.jpg

post-17623-1119097160_thumb.jpg

post-17623-1119097184_thumb.jpg

I remind you the lady cleaned up a huge stain, all of the back leather and the center consul. The center consul/cup holder still has residue/dirt and the front leather is dirty among other things...

The rear seats were much worse then the front seats and when cleaned in 20 minutes they look clean.. So was right to say obviously someone rushed through my car.. This set idiot off with a whole this took 7 hours..

One funny thing is when I pulled in I saw a working smiling at me.. He probably knew it was going to end in a blaze of glory!

Don't bother punching this guys light out, not worth it. :chairshot: all you end up doing is paying for a lawyer to get you out of jail, if you want to spend that money, spread it around to all of us on this forum, or donate that money to a good charity. :cheers:

If you loose in Court, be ready to pay the guy you punched out! :censored:

RF- Why thank you I appreciate that, I really do.

$325 is a lot for a detail, even a full interior and exterior detail on an older car including stain removal and polishing work. I would have charged you $250 for that probably unless it was really bad.

One thing I've also noticed is that detailers that overcharge tend to do the worst work.

Anyways, you shouldn't expect the car to look PERFECT after a full detail when its that old, even from a very competent detailer. You should however expect to see all the carpeting as clean as it can get, all the leather freshly cleaned and conditioned, the dash and all the interior fittings properly cleaned (most detailers rightfully don't use ArmorAll because they can never be sure if the customer will like it. Thats something you have to request), the door jambs and the seals cleaned and dressed, the wheel wells and all the crevices cleaned and dressed, and paint that is smooth, polished, and swirl free.

As for wet sanding most touchups don't include wetsanding.

In the pictures I only see a couple things that look passed over, but pictures can be deceptive.

I think you handled it wrong personally, I would have gone over it and pointed to each individual thing that I felt was wrong and watched as he fixed it. That way I think you could have kept it friendly. If he slammed your door in anger and cursed at you as you were leaving negotiation broke down somewhere.

I know a great detailer in CT I can refer you to in the future.

The guy is known to have a bad temper and I think he just freaked out.. I agree when one attacks a persons work it can raise the temperature, but I just pointed out the points.

Truly I dont know what I could have done differently to avoid his rage.. Maybe not returned a second time..

What really frustrated me was the fact they did not clean leather seams and center consul.

Also the guy stated in advance he was going to wetsand and repair minor paint issues.

After explaining my problems wife requested that I go up stairs while they clean car so I did.

In the end there is a point of communication break down and slamming a door (full wind up).. This guy was wrong..

Hey, kewlguy (James Bond incognito?), I'm glad you stayed kewl. That was a tricky situation.

Something of interest... Amex makes a black card, I think they call it the centurion. It apparently has no spending limit, but is available by invitation only. Every kewl guy and secret agent/mafioso should have one. You could use it to hire a hit squad to take out that little puke for you... you know, to save you the trouble. (I personally think you should break hit knees, but that's just my personal bias.) Maybe you could even pay cash for an Aston Martin getaway car with your black card.

Plus, in a pinch, you could use the black card to scrape tree sap off of your paint. (I'm still partial to using a spoon, but whatever's clever.)

SWOE3...An Accolade well deserved..Doesn't mean I am going soft on you...But we may find common ground.. At least I hope so..:cheers:

LOL, so do I.

Something of interest... Amex makes a black card, I think they call it the centurion. It apparently has no spending limit, but is available by invitation only.

Yep, the Centurion card. Only seen one once. $1000 yearly fee and the benefits above the platinum card are a "secret". I have an AMEX Platinum card.

And all AMEX charge cards come with no spending limit, why would they have one when you have to pay the whole balance every 30 days?