Sc300 Eats 1 Qt Of Oil / Month

I always have to put about 1 qt of oil at the end of the month. Is this typical of a high mileage SC300? If it helps any, I'm using synthetic oil 10W-30. Thanks.

How many miles do you drive in a given month? What is your current mileage?

I only drive around 900-1000 miles per month. I haven't taken a look closely around the exaust but from afar I dont see anything on the floor. Seems this problem started only after switching to synthetic. (about 4 months ago). If I new this was going to be a problem, I wouldnt have went this route. I only wanted to extend the oil change intervals from every 3000 mi to 7000 mi. What do ya think? Oh yeah, I have close to 125K on clock already. Thanks. -Mike

I found the valve cover on my car was loose. The bolts near the firewall were only finger tight. There was a trail of oil down the side and back of the block. I was able to tighten them and didn't have to change the gasket.

older seals will leak synthetic oil.  if you use normal oil it won't leak or drastically decrease the amount of leakage compared to synthetic oil.

Looks like it may be a good idea to switch back to dinosaur oil. Is this even possible? Going from synthetic back to regular fossil oil? Your input is greatly appreciated. -Mike

From what I have read it shouldn't be a problem. Just drain and refill with dino.

Pennzoil makes a blend of synthetic and regular oil that gives u the benefits of both and it has cut the consumption in my older work vehicles by half. They call it 4x4 oil, have used it for years, my local quick lube station has it.

If there are no external leaks then the engine may be burning oil. 1 qt per 1,000 miles is about average for a high mileage SC300. The only way to determine if you're burning oil is to perform a compression test. What viscosity oil are your using? You may want to switch to a higher viscosity oil to slow down oil comsumption.

If there are no external leaks then the engine may be burning oil.  1 qt per 1,000 miles is about average for a high mileage SC300.  The only way to determine if you're burning oil is to perform a compression test.  What viscosity oil are your using?  You may want to switch to a higher viscosity oil to slow down oil comsumption.

Royal Purple 10w30 is what I'm using. I live in Southern California where the weather averages around 80F. Daily driven about 1K per month. It's a 5 spd manual and I have a light foot. So what viscosity is recommended here? I will have it compression tested with my mechanic soon. Thanks -Mike

• 2 months later...

i wouldnt change the viscosity of the oil. I would just switch to the reg blend. Full synth does have a tendency to seep through old seals, so the switch to a reg blend would be best. To actually atain the full benefits of synthetic oil, you would have to have used synthetic early on in engine life and keep using it. To switch to syntheic after so many miles is moot. Such tests have actually shown a loss in Hp when an engine that has been broken in on reg oil was switched to synthetic. Granted it was a 1-2 hp loss, nothing more dramatic than what you would feel with the a/c on or off, but you get the drift....

just so you know though... im not sure how the new "high miles formulas" work. Havent found any reports on those yet...

Juancho

An engine can give good compression numbers and still be burning oil. Compare all your plugs for deposits and for oil on the threads when the mech takes them out. Have someone drive behind you at WOT...are you blowing smoke? Does it smoke on startup first thing in the morning?

• 2 months later...

A certain amount of oil consumption is normal for a high-mileage SC300. I have 135k on my '93 and I use about a quart of dino oil every 3k miles. My shop tells me this is perfectly normal for this motor. Yours does sound a bit high but as long as it's not increasing it's probably ok. It will be interesting to hear if it declines when you go back to dinosaur oil though.