Antifreeze Rotting Timing Belt

I took my car into my trusted mechanics shop, and they found that the water pump has been leaking onto the timing belt causing it to erode. He told me that he wouldn't feel comfortable fixing this himself and I should take it to the dealer to get a new timing belt and to fix the leak. Anyone know about how much this is going to run me?

I took my car into my trusted mechanics shop, and they found that the water pump has been leaking onto the timing belt causing it to erode.  He told me that he wouldn't feel comfortable fixing this himself and I should take it to the dealer to get a new timing belt and to fix the leak.  Anyone know about how much this is going to run me?

Depends on if you are installing a new water pump or not.

I just had the following done: installed prices

timing belt: 350

water pump: 250

cam and crank seal $90

and prices vary alot, so shop around.

Recently I took a 2000 GS400 to my Lexus dealer for pre-inspection before purchase. It had 127K and there was no sign of 90K mile service. This is the milage when Lexus recommends to change the timing belt and water pump. I asked for the rate and they quoted me $866 for just water pump change. After hearing this, I shelved the idea of purchasing that vehicle and I wouldn't even want to know the rate for timing belt change. I am sure it will run to anywhere between $1600 to $2000 to change both including labor. Also, if I were you, I wouldn't go to any place other than Lexus dealer to have them changed.

I will be taking mine to the dealer when the time comes, but I will call both Toyota & Lexus dealers for quotes before I decide where I take it. But I suggest to indeed take it to the dealer as it is a pretty major service. B)

:cheers:

Hello,

My brother in law's Avalon we just finish changing

Timing belt.

other two belts(power steering, alt.)

camshaft 2 seal

crank shaft 1 seal

Water pump

Total part cost $160

Labor $200

Thanks,

Hello,

My brother in law's Avalon we just finish changing

Timing belt.

other two belts(power steering, alt.)

camshaft 2 seal

crank shaft 1 seal

Water pump

Total part cost $160

Labor            $200

Thanks,

Where did he get the work done? at a dealer, independent shop or a friend that is a mechanic? It's a fantastic price to be sure, but I doubt all of us can be so lucky. B)

I see drastic price differences for changing timing belt + water pump + labor. What's all this? Shouldn't this be standard (within +/- $100) whereever you live in US. My dealer in Omaha, Nebraska charges $90/hr for labor. He says it's a 3 hr work atleast. So, he quoted me $866 just for the water pump. Having read all these replies, I am worried my dealer is ripping us off. In whole Nebraska state there are only 2 Lexus dealers (one in Lincoln and another one in Omaha) and both belong to the same person. He also owns a Toyota dealership in Omaha. Since, we don't have any other choice but for going to them, may be we are getting ripped off.

I see drastic price differences for changing timing belt + water pump + labor. What's all this? Shouldn't this be standard (within +/- $100) whereever you live in US. My dealer in Omaha, Nebraska charges $90/hr for labor. He says it's a 3 hr work atleast. So, he quoted me $866 just for the water pump. Having read all these replies, I am worried my dealer is ripping us off. In whole Nebraska state there are only 2 Lexus dealers (one in Lincoln and another one in Omaha) and both belong to the same person. He also owns a Toyota dealership in Omaha. Since, we don't have any other choice but for going to them, may be we are getting ripped off.

Prices change alot! Here is what I posted before:

You might have seen this on the other thread but:

Herb Chambers (MA): (Water Pump & Timing Belt): $850.00 plus tax

*(Price via email and called)

Hoffman (CT); Timing Belt $500, and Water pump is $200: $700

*(Called and Emailed)

Balise (MA): Timing belt $399.95, Water pump $212.50: $616.50

*(email and stated price voicemail)

***Had this done and cam/crank seals. About $740 out the door.

Hello,

Now check with toyota dealer, they will be cheaper.

Internet price for parts (Toyota) Including tax:

Timing belt=$42

Alt and ps belts=$18

Waterpump=$76

camshaft(2)=$10

Crankshaft(1)=$5

Coolant=$12

Hope this helps.

I had mine chanegd my a Lexus tech for $200 canadian

$150 for a new pump and belt.

all done in 2 hours.

If it is the water pump leaking then you need to replace it as it is more than likely the weeping hole telling you the water pump bearing is worn.

In any case the T belt needs to be removed anyway so it would not cost anymore .

I had mine chanegd my a Lexus tech for $200 canadian

$150 for a new pump and belt.

all done in 2 hours.

If it is the water pump leaking then you need to replace it as it is more than likely the weeping hole telling you the water pump bearing is worn.

In any case the T belt needs to be removed anyway so it would not cost anymore .

Where is your Lexus tech located sk? B)

• 1 month later...

I don't know why everyone on here is always quoting insanely high prices, but again, you're gettin ripped off.

For $1300, you can find mechanics that will change the head gaskets, and everything that's suppose to get changed on the way back out. (pump, belts, gaskets).

SKperformance is the only person in the ball-park with what it should cost. Anyone getting initially quoted more than $500usd for a simple water pump & timing belt change needs to stop using Toyota / Lexus mechanics.

Even if you add all the seals, keep it under $600 before taxes.

I don't know why everyone on here is always quoting insanely high prices, but again, you're gettin ripped off.

For $1300, you can find mechanics that will change the head gaskets, and everything that's suppose to get changed on the way back out. (pump, belts, gaskets).

SKperformance is the only person in the ball-park with what it should cost. Anyone getting initially quoted more than $500usd for a simple water pump & timing belt change needs to stop using Toyota / Lexus mechanics.

Even if you add all the seals, keep it under $600 before taxes.

Lets face if here Toysrme, you can NOT make a blanket statement like” I don't know why everyone on here is always quoting insanely high prices, but again, you're gettin ripped off.”

Things in your area (Alabama) are going to be cheaper then Massachusetts, Washing DC, California etc etc. Saying that if you “quoted more than $500usd for a simple water pump & timing belt change needs to stop using Toyota / Lexus mechanics” is jsut incorrect. Is like saying if you pay over 2.10 a gallon for gas you are getting ripped off. Or saying if you pay $300K for a 2,500 sq/ft house is getting ripped. That would also be like me saying if I paid over $16K for my Kubota BX22 tractor I got ripped off. To bad different regions charge different rates based on many variables.

I had mine done the cheapest I could find and I refuse to go to some “back yard mechanic” or do it myself. My time is worth more then XXX dollars. Do some searching and try and find the best bang for the dollar; but, on the flip side make sure you know what you are getting. For me the price was cheap since it was almost 7 years (1998 till now) and it cost $740. That is less then $106 per year! Can you say…CHEAP upkeep.

Utah - 3vz-fe - just a update on this whole situation. The original 2000.00 quote went to 2500. Tunex quoted 1398. The Honda dealer 1298.00. Menlove Toyota 1700.00.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t73377.html

Ft. Worth - Texas - 2vz-fe - you ever changed a heagasket on the V6? i was quoted between 600-1,000 for one bank for mine... mechanic rates in my area range betweren $70-$85 an hour...
A-town, PA - i guess it depends on the garage, mine around here i can find for a lot less than $70-85/hr

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t70446.html

Los Angeles - 3vz-fe - A local mobile mechanic I was referred to thinks it will be about $500 labor and maybe $50-100 machining labor

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t64627.html

Washington - 3vz-fe - i went to my mechanic today to get an estimation for both timing belt change and a full tune up...

R&R Timing Belt - $69.37

Water Pump- $89.42

Idler Kit-$179.27

NGK Spark Plug Wires-$97.77

NGK Laser Platinum Plugs-$54.00

PCV Valve-$3.99

Fuel Filter-$19.59

Coolant-$9.99

4Cam Seals-$67.12 (16.78 each)

Crank Seal-$9.59

Labor-$564.00

Total With Tax-$1267.32

Southington, Connecticut - those prices seem a little high.

prices should be around....

timing belt - 40

Water Pump- 75

-Gasket - 3

ADD: Thermostat - 15

Idler Kit- all you need is belt tensioner

-Belt Tensioner - 50

NGK Spark Plug Wires (model TE42)- 82 - http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1273340

NGK Laser Platinum Plugs- 42 (7 each)

PCV Valve- 3

Fuel Filter- 15

Coolant- 10

ADD: Valve Cover Gasket - 10 (5 each)

4Cam Seals- 52 (13 each)

Crank Seal- 6

TOTAL = 403 - All prices are from autozone or advance auto except the plug wires which the page is linked.

That's enough - 5 min searching at Toyota Nation is pleanty of time.

Lets face if here Toysrme, you can NOT make a blanket statement like” I don't know why everyone on here is always quoting insanely high prices, but again, you're gettin ripped off.”

Things in your area (Alabama) are going to be cheaper then Massachusetts, Washing DC, California etc etc.

Sure I can...

Labor is going to run $75-90 EVERYWHERE.

A head gasket is no more than a 4 hour change - You're not looking at a $100 labor differance anywhere in the US - Unless you're getting screwed, or you're getting something in exchange for your money. I.E. - Some dealers will give you a loaner while they work.

What are youg etting at??? Do places like Massachusetts, Washing DC, and California have some kind of super-duper parts that make them expencive? Parts, wether chain store aprts, brand parts, or OEM parts - all come to the US from the same factories - are stored and bought from the same places.

Parts chains are not supply and demand for a small area when you stop taking the shaft from bad mechanics - it's supply and demand across the entire supply chain.

You want to pay $110us/hour for labor, that's fine, but unless they're giving you a free car - there's nothing they can do to make up for the fact that you're getting the shaft.

mburnickas no offince, but you're semi-changing the subject, and using examples that are irrelevant to the issue - bending them to suit your viewpoint. It seems to me like you're trying to "defend" high repair costs.

So everyone on here is complacient with the (more often than not) outrageous prices from Lexus dealers - and in rare cases, the slightly less outrageous prices from Toyota dealers.

You don't think it's outrageous??? Cross check parts... A Lexus dealer will sell you the chrome long-stud lug-nut on an ES for $31. Most Toyota dealers have the same part in stock and sell them for $7.50. Oil filters are worse. When I first checked, they listed at $33 from Lexus - Less than $4 at Toyota. Same part numbers... It goes on and on.

You can be happy with over-paying for work and services rendered. I - even if I am the only one - will happily tell people the cold-hard trueth about what the bids should be. I will reiderate - If you think you achive something buy paying more for labor & parts, or get some incintive - then I have noooooo problem with anyone paying more money than it typically should be.

That is great you looked for Toyota Service at Toyota Nation here. This is LOC right? First off I do not use Autozone or any “hodge-podge” parts here. Some people like $0.99 parts in there car or homemade things on them. If I was 20 I would love that but I am not a teenager and have a family here. I am not going to have my wife and child traveling down the road with a $10 Timing Belt from “joe blow's” shop here or a auto parts store. If I wanted cheap then I would have shopped at Wal-mart for my parts! If I wanted a cheap car I would have not purchsed a Lexus. The best is the “A local mobile mechanic” or the AutoZone parts quotes here from people. You get what you pay for in life. You will learn...

I also do not know why you are so stuck on a head gasket here. The topic was on “water pump & TB right?

If you think all dealers pay the same you are flat out wrong. Any dealer will tell you that and I know 2 personally and many family and friends own garages. Not ONE pays the same for one item. I even priced out tires. If they did I would have gotten parts from them. They are all different and labor is integral to what region you are in.

I called 3 Lexus dealers and I talked two 2 Toyota. Both of them are integral to their own Lexus dealership and the prices are the same in BOTH places. I called Toyota at Balise and Hoffman (CT) (all same day) and the prices where flat out almost the same. The parts are about 10% delta at Balise.

Again, down in Alabama things are cheaper. Come up here and see how things are. I think I might be correct SINCE I LIVE HERE.

I pay 110 an hour? Really apparently you know all the stuff I had done and the time it took. I also know all about the “book rates”. Most shop rates are different then what you stated. Even motorcycle dealers are different then what you stated.

Next all parts are not the same; even my garages friends/owners will tell you that! Even Saber/Monarch will tell you that, big time! Even in college in my engineering class you learn that and at my job you learn that. Example, saying all parts are the same is as bad as saying all engine oils are the same! :chairshot:

This belief does not go far in the real world. Buy a house and see how far this attitude works with the GC or builder. LOL….I know what parts cost!……Not gonna last long and the person will laugh his behind off. Not joking either..

Same with my tractor and I know several owners (all go riding) and 4 of them all have DIFFERENT invoices from the manufacture. Again different areas, get different rates, how many buying at once, deals etc.

To close the price I paid is cheap since again it is about $0.29 a day since new till now. It is only $740, out the door for all the work I had done and that is less money then my battery packs for my R/c heli!!!!!! Again cheap price to pay for service, loaner warranty on the service. Do I like spending $$$ no, but I am not nickel-and-dime important things in my life either. Plus $740 is a drop in the bucket here. Not breaking the bank here or causing the mortage to be late.

I agree with both of you but please end the discussion as all points have been made with very strong supporting material.

Truthfulyy i paid $200 Canadian which is dirt cheap not kind of cheap .

My dealer charged me $800 the first time.

Then i got to know the techs at a few dealers and they do work for me faster than i ever could and better ,so why should i even bother to do it.

Shop rates do vary widely for 45-130 in the same city.

I am sure you can get it done cheap but you do get what you pay for.

Unless you do it yourself.

• 7 months later...

I took my car into my trusted mechanics shop, and they found that the water pump has been leaking onto the timing belt causing it to erode. He told me that he wouldn't feel comfortable fixing this himself and I should take it to the dealer to get a new timing belt and to fix the leak. Anyone know about how much this is going to run me?

Lexus shop will charge a lot more than toyota shop. Here in Northern California, Silicon Valley area, I got the best quote from Toyota Sunnyvale for $350 on timing belt alone and $850 on timing belt, water pump, cam and crank seals. Toyota Redwood City, 20 miles away, quoted me $1300. :(

Guess I'll be going to Toyota Sunnyvale. :)

PS. I was there for all fluid flush 2 weeks ago. They are very busy, long wait, but did great job and very friendly.