White Smoke From Under The Hood!

Just bought my firts lexus... it's a 1993 ES300. It is a fixer-upper. I have problems with the cooling system, today I started with replacing a thermostat and a radiator cap it runs better and last longer before the temp needle starts climbing past the middle. So my next step is to replace my water pump and hope that it fixes the overheating problem. I notices alot of white steam or smoke coming from what looks to be the head (I might be wrong) now Im woried. Has anyone else ran into this kind of problem? What could it be, and what should I do. Oh and by the way does any one know whow long does it take to replace the water pump hourwise, Im doing everything my self so I am kind of curious as to how long I will spend on it.

Lito

Hrmm... It was a LONG time ago, back when my dad had an es250. I believe the First Lexus (at least one of the first in California) And that has been gone for a long time now. Well anyhoo... I think it was an oil Leak of some sort in his car that made white smoke come from the hood. Not a lot. but enough to get hot and burn in to smoke. Look around your engine around the HeadGasket (well where the 2 parts of the engine screw together) to see if there are any leaks. If it is all dirty in there... maybe clean the engine area then wait to see where it gets dirty first??? I dunno about cleaning that area, heck it may make it worse, but at least check around the engine for oil.

Sorry i tend to remble! Good luck

~ProZac~

you really only can trace the problem by looking yourself

also where abouts is the steam from

as it may be a hose?

make sure you use the right coolant also

you have an iron block so it is harder to warp but still possible

Thanks for your sugestions, speaking of coolant, I drained WATER from there, who ever owned this prior to me didn't take good care of the car. Right now I filled it with DEX-COOL Orange Antifreeze is this the right stuff? By the way the steam is coming out from the head that is next to the firewall, it's really hard to see where as there are a spider web of tubes and hoses and also from the tail pipe at high RPM's. I don't know maybe those factors will make sence to some one, as some one sugested to me that it might be a head gasket. Is there any way to chek any of these symptoms to see if it is head gasket. Im getting desperate here. Thanks again for any sugestions given.

Lito

high pressured air into each cylinder (spark plug removed) will quickly tell if there is a cylinder head gasket leak. You have to have the radiator cap off too. This is best done by the professional. If there is a leak in either of the gaskets, the coolant will bubble up out of the radiator or overflow tank when air is forced in the cylinder.

Look for coolant trails around the entire gasket area.

If it leaks, its got to be resealed. Leaks just get bigger.

steviej

thanks steviej It's too late for that I have got lalf an engine taken appart, im replacing water pump, timing belt while im there and I guess the head gaskets. Reading old posts it seems alot of people are heaving trouble with those, so might as well. I was reading one of the threads and some one found a head gasket set for $100, any one know where? the cheapest I found online is $240+ and in town nothing less $350+...

• 8 months later...
Just bought my firts lexus... it's a 1993 ES300. It is a fixer-upper. I have problems with the cooling system, today I started with replacing a thermostat and a radiator cap it runs better and last longer before the temp needle starts climbing past the middle. So my next step is to replace my water pump and hope that it fixes the overheating problem. I notices alot of white steam or smoke coming from what looks to be the head (I might be wrong) now Im woried. Has anyone else ran into this kind of problem? What could it be, and what should I do. Oh and by the way does any one know whow long does it take to replace the water pump hourwise, Im doing everything my self so I am kind of curious as to how long I will spend on it.

Lito

SUp people i need help my lexus es300 is overheating i think it the waterpump but i dont want to spent alot of money and it still over heat. so if any one that can help me or had the same experience email me of qoute back , this my first cars i just got my driver license PlEASE HELP !!!!!!!!! i change the raidtor cap and thermostat cap. , alll the coolant go back to the resovior and sometime overflow thru. PLEASE EMAIL me if u can help XsF_oh_yeah@msn.com

the water pump is driven by the timing belt, so unless you are extrmely confident in your mechanical abilities, I would take it to a good shop to have it looked at.

you can really mess up an engine with a screwed up timing belt change...

its funny when i warn people to not buy a 92-93 because of the iron blocks they say the car is great. But look how many people have the exact same overheating problem time and time again,which the 94 and up ES does not have at all.