Splash Car Wash Scratched My Car- What Now?

Last night at the car wash- an employee scratched my car door with a power washer nozzel. I saw the whole thing as I was in the car when it happened.

I realized it was totally an accident and calmly got out of the car. I looked at the damage- 2 3-4 inch scratches down past the primer to bare metal.

The manager apoligized and so did the employee.

I asked him how are we going to resolve this...he offered 3-4 full details and 4 washes. something like that.

I'm taking this pretty well considering what happened to my car. ( I don;t know why)

My buddy said to get an estimate and hand them the bill.

To me- it's no big deal to touch it up with factory paint, the car is not perfect.

The hastle to get estimates and the time wasted on this is what makes me not want to go that route. The manager is making an effort instead of avoiding the problem. I don't want to make this more than it is, but you simply can't forget it about. It's not worth reporting this to the insurance.I figure if i took it to the body shop- they would simply shoot the whole door and blend in the fenders and the otehr door- which is not a big job but time consuming.

What would you guys do?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night at the car wash- an employee scratched my car door with a power washer nozzel. I saw the whole thing as I was in the car when it happened.

I realized it was totally an accident and calmly got out of the car. I looked at the damage- 2 3-4 inch scratches down past the primer to bare metal.

I asked him how are we going to resolve this...he offered 3-4 full details and  4 washes. something like that.

I'm taking this pretty well considering what happened to my car. ( I don;t know why)

To me- it's no big deal to touch it up with factory paint, the car is not perfect.

The hastle to get estimates and the time wasted on this is what makes me not want to go that route. The manager is making an effort instead of avoiding the problem. I don't want to make this more than it is, but you simply can't forget it about. It's not worth reporting this to the insurance.I figure if i took it to the body shop- they would simply shoot the whole door and blend in the fenders and the otehr door- which is not a big job but time consuming.

What would you guys do?

Can you post some quality pics of the damage so we have a better idea of what it looks like? :unsure: Would there be any chance with some professional buffing & factory touch up paint that it could aviod getting the entire door painted? B) What colour is the car? :unsure:

:cheers:

I asked him how are we going to resolve this...he offered 3-4 full details and  4 washes. something like that.

What would you guys do?

Can you post some quality pics of the damage so we have a better idea of what it looks like? :unsure: Would there be any chance with some professional buffing & factory touch up paint that it could aviod getting the entire door painted? B) What colour is the car? :unsure:

The car is blue pearl. I'll take some pics tonight and post them once I get home.I don't know if the buffing and touch up would work, but i'm sure they would offer to avoid spending cash and having a shop do it.

The car is blue pearl. I'll take some pics tonight and post them once I get home.I don't know if the buffing and touch up would work, but i'm sure they would offer to avoid spending cash and having a shop do it.

Take the pics with good natural day light if possible (do it over the weekend if you tonights not good). I'm sure they would offer something like this to avoid a large expense (and no guarantees that the colours will match should you take it to a body shop anyways). Perhaps lifetime free car washes or a years worth of professional detailing can be negotiated too. B)

Take the pics with good natural day light if possible (do it over the weekend if you tonights not good). I'm sure they would offer something like this to avoid a large expense (and no guarantees that the colours will match should you take it to a body shop anyways). Perhaps lifetime free car washes or a years worth of professional detailing can be negotiated too. B)

I agree on all points- he was hinting very hard about avoiding out of pocket expenses. A lifetime of washes is tough since I enjoy washing it by hand-the only reason I failed to do so this time- we had an issue with the water at the house!

I'm leaning towards a full detail once a quarter- i know last time I paid about $169.00 for the interior and exterior during the winter.

Yeah, the paint will never match.

I agree on all points- he was hinting very hard about avoiding out of pocket expenses. A lifetime of washes is tough since I enjoy washing it by hand-the only reason I failed to do so this time- we had an issue with the water at the house!

I'm leaning towards a full detail once a quarter- i know last time I paid about $169.00 for the interior and exterior during the winter.

Yeah, the paint will never match.

There ya go! I mentioned lifetime simply because I too usually wash my car by hand, but I go to the touchless Sunoco in the cold weather & of course winter months. I was thinking more the winter time for the salt & such since I'm guessing you see your fair share of snow being in CT. B) Keep us posted on what happens.....The owner of the car wash sounds like a fairly reasonable person which is good in this situation. B)

I too like to wash my car by hand and by myself, but if circumstances don't allow so, I take my car to a touchless, brushless place. There are 2 of those places not far from my home, and I use them more often in the winter.

exdotcomer, sorry to hear about the mishap with your car wash place. It sounds like they really want to make ends meet with you and your car. I guess this shows you that not all people/businesses in CT are bad and dishonest :D

I too like to wash my car by hand and by myself, but if circumstances don't allow so, I take my car to a touchless, brushless place.  There are 2 of those places not far from my home, and I use them more often in the winter.

exdotcomer, sorry to hear about the mishap with your car wash place.  It sounds like they really want to make ends meet with you and your car.  I guess this shows you that not all people/businesses in CT are bad and dishonest :D

so true- i'm sure if i had acted diferently (made a scene-screamed,cursed...etc.) this would be a different stroy...a bad one.

life's too short...8)

First of all, why would you reward their incompetence by giving them MORE business? If they damaged your car, why would you want them to wash it AGAIN let alone DETAIL it where they can do even more damage?

Get an estimate to get it fixed, and hand them the bill. They're a business and they're insured for this type of thing, its costing him nothing to let you get the car washed for free or detailed for free, just the cost of supplies and help. Make him fix your car right.

First of all, why would you reward their incompetence by giving them MORE business? If they damaged your car, why would you want them to wash it AGAIN let alone DETAIL it where they can do even more damage?

Get an estimate to get it fixed, and hand them the bill. They're a business and they're insured for this type of thing, its costing him nothing to let you get the car washed for free or detailed for free, just the cost of supplies and help. Make him fix your car right.

I think it was more of an accident rather than incompetence sw. Exdot never said this is the 5th time or something this has happened. You ever made a mistake or had an accident? :whistles: And like I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if it was repainted (depending on seeing pics of the damage of course) if a body shop would be able to blend & match the rest of the cars paint properly & might even make the appearance look worse if he wants to ever sell the car. B)

I think it was more of an accident rather than incompetence sw. Exdot never said this is the 5th time or something this has happened. You ever made a mistake or had an accident?:whistles: And like I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if it was repainted (depending on seeing pics of the damage of course) if a body shop would be able to blend & match the rest of the cars paint properly & might even make the appearance look worse if he wants to ever sell the car. B)

I never had an issue with them and their brushless car washes ever. It was purely accidental.

I have to agree with your point though, this is a business and they are insured.

But, if i go that route, will it get nasty?- sure it will. Trust me, i'm not a loose cannon but i'm not afraid to get confrontational.

The guy was too close to the car and since he was the only one working on power washing the incoming cars, he slipped and the power washer nozzel scratched the door. He didn't slam it, do it on purpose or anything. Like I said , i saw the whole thing. He apologized and was sincere about it. the manager wants to help and that is a big step forward in todays business world. I've been in on the other side where the oil change place dented my car, it was clearly them, and the screamed !Removed! murder.I went to the insurance company and the were of little help.

What I may do is get an estimate on the car tomorrow morning and present it to all involved and then see what happens.

again, i'll post pics on this site tomorrow!

thanks to all for the different angles of looking at this.

I do not plan to let them off the hook, just to make that clear!

;)

I never had an issue with them and their brushless car washes ever. It was purely accidental.

I have to agree with your point though, this is a business and they are insured.

But, if i go that route, will it get nasty?- sure it will. Trust me, i'm not a loose cannon but i'm not afraid to get confrontational.

The guy was too close to the car and since he was the only one working on power washing the incoming cars, he slipped and the power washer nozzel scratched the door. He didn't slam it, do it on purpose or anything. Like I said , i saw the whole thing. He apologized and was sincere about it. the manager wants to help and that is a big step forward in todays business world. I've been in on the other side where the oil change place dented my car, it was clearly them, and the screamed !Removed! murder.I went to the insurance company and the were of little help.

What I may do is get an estimate on the car tomorrow morning and present it to all involved and then see what happens.

again, i'll post pics on this site tomorrow!

thanks to all for the different angles of looking at this.

I do not plan to let them off the hook, just to make that clear!

;)

Keep us posted.....I hope this issue get's resolved quickly & to your satisfaction. B)

Sure it was an accident, but accidents come from carelessness. I wouldn't endanger my property to folks who would be careless with it again.

Will it get nasty if you ask them to pay to repair it? It shouldn't. If the guy was helpful the first go round he will be this time, the sheer amount of cars they service they're bound to damage one every once and a while out of sheer statistics. They're insured against this type of thing. They'll simply submit the claim to their insurance and reimburse you.

I wouldn't accept the free washes and detailing however because I'd never use them again. Back when I used car washes I had them damage a car once, the guy was fine and I had it fixed and he cut me a check...and I took my business elsewhere.

I just changed car dealerships because they damaged my car. They were willing to own up to it too (not very happily though) but I still moved on elsewhere. If I can drive a car for tens of thousands of miles and not damage it (knock on wood) someone else can surely change the oil and park it, or spray it off with a pressure washer a few times without damaging it.

I do agree with you about the painting, but I would still pay a professional to touch it up and send them the bill. Someone else damaged your car, and you deserve for it to be repaired properly at their expense. These people run a business and they understand that.

Ask yourself how forgiving they would be if you pulled in and destroyed one of their vacuums or something? You'd pay to replace it. Don't buy into the "Sheepish manager" routine, its great they owned up to it and apologized and no reason to think badly of them, but that does not excuse them of the responsibility of making reparations to you for their carelessness.

Just go to the manager and say "I appreciate the gesture of the free washes and detail but I'd rather just have my car fixed, this is the estimate for the touchup ($200 probably) you can pay me or them your choice"

He'll say fine and cut you a check, if he doesn't then you don't want to do business with him anyways. I'd sue him, but thats a decision you'd have to make for yourself.

I AM hard about these things, but only because I own my own business and have owned two others, all of which have been service related (real estate and customer relations management) and one of which has been service related (detailing). I provide excellent service and own up to my mistakes, and I ALWAYS demand the same from other business owners I do business with.

you are absolutely correct.

i went back there after work today and told them that I'd rather have it fixed.

They want me to come back tomorrow to fill out some form(of which I will read every little bit of fine print).

I told them that detailing my car for free will not replace the paint that was scratched off. the manager I spoke with got the picture.

But, he said that he knows some shop locally that he would want paint the door.

i have to be there tomorrow morning.

post-5461-1116032254_thumb.jpg

post-5461-1116032332_thumb.jpg

post-5461-1116032352_thumb.jpg

Yup, those scratches are just big enough to bother the hell out of ya.......I hear ya & don't blame you either. I just hope they can match the paint colour corrently. B)

exdotcomer: I like you attitude. Life is too short to be on fighting mode all the time. Accidents happen, they fessed up, they will make good. Totally different if they denied it and told you to screw yourself. Later, George

But, he said that he knows some shop locally that he would want paint the door.

i have to be there tomorrow morning.

No.

He has some shop that will do it really cheap for him because he sends all the cars he damages there, thats exactly what the carwash manager who damaged my car said. What does that speak to in quality? You want to take the car to someone who will do a quality job, not the cheapest possible job. He has no right to tell you where you can take your car.

Tell him "Thanks for the suggestion but I feel better having my own bodyshop that I know and trust fix the car for me"

He'll say yes because the alternative is legal action and he knows it.

good point.

I called them this am and they said they will advise their district manager and then get a local shop to do the work.

I know of a good shop in the same town. I'll wait until I hear who they have in mind and then I will tell them, thanks - i want you guys to use my shop.

So far they are staying professional.Maybe it's the fear of a lawsuit(bad publicity) or maybe that's how they run the franchise(they have many of these car washes in CT). i dunno- i'm just glad they're not making this worse than it is, because i would be the first one suiing them and then sit across the street with a sign that says "want your car scratched?, go to SPLASH"

;)

I agree , a good amount of cleaning for your car from them not in place of the price for the scratch but more in pennance for basically stupidity of an emploee.

Their are 2 problems ,1 is the guy who was using the wand , @ is the owner for not having a rubber end cover to protect a finish form this abuse on cars.

Personally if it was bigger i would get it painted.

But for a small scratch take it to a professinal chip place to have it filled and sanded .

It is tough to do on any mettalic but ends up better than a complete repaint.

i have never seen a lex that color, i like it, looks like u are proceeding in the correct place. if they hurt it they fix it.  

btw could u post a pic of the whole car. :D

thanks-

That is a beautiful colorful. Very nice. B) Hope the repaint turns out pretty good.