2001 Ls430 Vibration - 55-70 Mph?

2001LS430

Hello,

Has anyone experienced any vibration issues with their 2001 LS430? I had a vibration between 55 and 70. First, the mechanic thought wheel bearings but they checked out OK. Then the usual check on the brake discs, also OK. The vibration was similar to a bad tire so I had 4 new tires put on the car (They were needed for inspection anyways). Now I still have the humming sound and vibration! Does anyone know if there could be an issue with the drive shaft? The humming and vibration starts at almost exactly 55 mph and goes away almost at 71 mph.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I spend most of my 2 hours of daily commute between 55 and 65 mph and I'm at the point of selling this car if I can't get rid of the issue.

Thanks,

Chris

When you say the mechanic....are you saying the Lexus mechanic at the dealership? The reason I'm asking is because these cars are so difficult to properly balance the wheels. The dealerships have a hunter made balancing system, and they use the right kind of weights. I've wasted a lot of money on balancing tires to try and save a penny. None have done it right. The dealership however nailed it the first time and it's been months since. Have you had the dealership look at it? Maybe strut rods? "I doubt it though with that mileage". Ball joints? Getting any wandering in your steering?

I have a similar problem that just developed on my LS 400. It only vibrates between 60 & 70 mph and otherwise it's fine. It feels like it is coming from the front right (passenger) side. I don't feel it at all at lower speeds.

That wheel has a new tire on it and I'm wondering if it's possible that it wasn't balanced properly. Alternate chance that the rim is bent, but I don't see any signs of damage. I don't have any other signs of brake problems (should shudder at low speeds as well) or any steering/control linkage issues (everything is tight).

I haven't had a chance to have it looked at yet so let me know what you find out.

I bought new tires for my Toyota truck last year. Right out of the shop, I noticed a vibration in the front end between 55 and 65 mph. I took it back and told them to check the balance. The tech said, sure 'nuf, it's out, and rebalanced. It was better , but still noticable. I rotated the tires, front to back, and then the vibration was more in the seat; front end felt fine. I took it back again, and said if the tire can't be balanced, I want it replaced. They said I'de have to leave it with them to check it out, Said they had to rule out suspension, wheels etc. I didn't have the time to do that, and said I would bring it back later.

I think the tire is out of round, or not true, OD to ID. I jacked it up and spun the wheel with a piece of chalk held steady, inching in toward tire. It touched on one side, and 180 degrees out the gap was about 1/16", or .060".

Why does it only shake between 55 and 65? I think that's where the harmonic frequencies of the out-of-round tire and suspension match up, and just like with different wave speeds, you get amplification of the problem.

Just a theory, but check balance and runout.

John

I bet it's the tire balancing issues.

the new set of tires on my 97 LS4 went thru balancing job 3-times before the vibration at high-speed disappeared....

a common mistakes while doing the tire balacing on LS4 is that mechanic usually doesn't bother to ensure the weight can clear the giant brake caliper at front wheels. the result is that weight pieces get knocked off immediately after you drive off the shop.

I'd have them road force tested when balancing as well, to make sure they're rounded right. I think it's the tire issue as well. I had a car that sat for about 3 months. It developed a flat spot on all four tires. I inflated the tires to max psi and drove it for about a hundred miles. Did some burn outs as well. That fixed it. But, you really can't hotrod an LS. But you can inflate to max psi set by the tire and not the car and see if that helps. I'd have the dealer do a balance and tell them you have new tires and need a road force done. Probably $75. You don't take these cars to Sears. Hell, you don't take any car to Sears if you ask me, but that's just my opinion.

"You don't take these cars to Sears. Hell, you don't take any car to Sears if you ask me, but that's just my opinion. "

Normally I would agree...but you just never know...

This balancing problem is one I have had many times. This past week was the weirdest. Problem always with the back tires (seats doing a cheek-massage and headrests dancing).

Latest nightmare was "seat vibration" which started at 80 and was shaking the headrests by 85. Thought I threw a weight. Took to old-reliable personal mechanic for rebalancing. Moved the weights around 1/4" on one rear wheel. Now vibration starts at 85 and is shaking headrests by 90. Off to Lexus Dealer. Get car back and weights on other rear tire moved about 1/8" with assurance it will be "perfect" now. Headrests now shaking at 82...worse to unbearable over 90. Took to "commercial tire brand retailer"...quote: "one rear tire is out of round but you didn't buy it here". Bought them on sale at SEARS 4 months and 10k ago (do a lot of travelling). SOOOOO...Took car to Sears. Wait 30 minutes. Spy apparent recent Jamaican emigree trailing strange aroma of ganja slowly creep My Car into bay. Wait one hour. Keep hearing that song in my head "...I smoke two joints in time of peace and two in time of war. I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints, and then I smoke two more!". This guy has the wheels off my LS. Save me.

Finally. Get car back no charge. Problem per service writer? "He rebalanced the rear tires. Not out of round". Now fuming...let's go see Spliff-Mon and ask what he did. If I drive off and the car still shakes I am going to hunt down his hydroponic farmer and cap him. Spliff-Mon looks up, cigarette smoke wafting mystically around his head invoking images of the late Bob Marley, and in response to my extensive questions simply replies "I spun dem up good, mon'. No, noboby outta da round mon, they spin up real good. I watch dem watch real close".

I'm dead.

So go out and jump on I-95 and put the hammer DOWN...damn I love this car it is instant-80...nothing...85...smooth...90...smoother...95....eyebrows going up...100....cars just whizzing by, can hear the sirens but not even a hum....110...like glass and outta room (now in Riviera Beach: chickened out)...FHP probably getting frantic calls from local blue-hairs about "idiot in a Lexus flew by 3" off the ground".

Sears. Ya just never know. Maybe you just need to check for da smoke, 'mon.

That is one of the funniest posts I have read! Great story.

I was thinking the same thing... Spliff mon, capping the tech, and the "idiot in a Lexus flew by 3" off the ground." Funny stuff!! LMAO :lol:

• 5 months later...
"You don't take these cars to Sears. Hell, you don't take any car to Sears if you ask me, but that's just my opinion. "

Normally I would agree...but you just never know...

This balancing problem is one I have had many times. This past week was the weirdest. Problem always with the back tires (seats doing a cheek-massage and headrests dancing).

Latest nightmare was "seat vibration" which started at 80 and was shaking the headrests by 85. Thought I threw a weight. Took to old-reliable personal mechanic for rebalancing. Moved the weights around 1/4" on one rear wheel. Now vibration starts at 85 and is shaking headrests by 90. Off to Lexus Dealer. Get car back and weights on other rear tire moved about 1/8" with assurance it will be "perfect" now. Headrests now shaking at 82...worse to unbearable over 90. Took to "commercial tire brand retailer"...quote: "one rear tire is out of round but you didn't buy it here". Bought them on sale at SEARS 4 months and 10k ago (do a lot of travelling). SOOOOO...Took car to Sears. Wait 30 minutes. Spy apparent recent Jamaican emigree trailing strange aroma of ganja slowly creep My Car into bay. Wait one hour. Keep hearing that song in my head "...I smoke two joints in time of peace and two in time of war. I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints, and then I smoke two more!". This guy has the wheels off my LS. Save me.

Finally. Get car back no charge. Problem per service writer? "He rebalanced the rear tires. Not out of round". Now fuming...let's go see Spliff-Mon and ask what he did. If I drive off and the car still shakes I am going to hunt down his hydroponic farmer and cap him. Spliff-Mon looks up, cigarette smoke wafting mystically around his head invoking images of the late Bob Marley, and in response to my extensive questions simply replies "I spun dem up good, mon'. No, noboby outta da round mon, they spin up real good. I watch dem watch real close".

I'm dead.

So go out and jump on I-95 and put the hammer DOWN...damn I love this car it is instant-80...nothing...85...smooth...90...smoother...95....eyebrows going up...100....cars just whizzing by, can hear the sirens but not even a hum....110...like glass and outta room (now in Riviera Beach: chickened out)...FHP probably getting frantic calls from local blue-hairs about "idiot in a Lexus flew by 3" off the ground".

Sears. Ya just never know. Maybe you just need to check for da smoke, 'mon.

Hello: He fixed? right! I guess is not the smoke is the ability!

C. PR

Ha ha...I can't be laughing out loud like this at work!! Great post. Who knew that Sears could balance tires! I want whatever he's smokin'. It's obviously something good if it lifted you 3" off the ground. Funny how these babies are when something isn't right. But when it's right, it's RIGHT.

NC211, I would normally agree that strut rods shouldn't go out at 40K something miles. But they just replaced mine at 34K and it made a huge difference. I guess they were weak when I bought the car at 15K. The improvement was more than I expected. Now I'm worried that I'll need all that other rubber stuff soon. Ugh.