Head And Legroom Measurements

blake918

This is mind boggling to me. I've driven a '04 Beetle before. Hands down the most comfortable driving position for me. The suprising part is that VW states front legroom at 39.4" and headroom as 38.2". With the seat all the way back in the Bug, I can't reach the pedals, and I've got several, several inches on top of my head. Here's the confusing part, I sat in a '05 ES330 this weekend in which I was generally comfortable, but it had nothing near the VW's dimensions eventhough Lexus states legroom as 42.2" and headroom as 37.6". My LS is also given better dimensions than the VW, but I'm short about 5-6" of legroom, and the head room is also less. Same thing goes for the '01 Taurus I always drive; Ford rates it around 40" and 40" for head and legroom. Again, smaller dimensions, but waaay more head and legroom than my LS400. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? What points do they use to take these measurements? Accelerator to seat back(near lumbar area, right)?

:cheers:

I've been driving for more than 35 years and I've found that you just have to take the manufacturers' legroom and headroom measurements with a grain of salt. It's just marketing hogwash more than anything else.

The only way you're going to know if you can get comfortable in a vehicle is to get in it and drive it for awhile. Steering wheel and pedal positions, seat angles, and everything else may or may not be adjustable enough for you. The only true way you'll know is to get in and drive.

I'm 6'7" and the all-time most comfortable fit for me was, believe it or not, my 1974 Datsun 260Z. The long, long hood gave me great legroom extension, and the seat angles were perfect once I pushed the frame all the way back. I had great legroom and just enough headroom. I drove that car all over the country and kept it for 13 years and 300,000 miles, by far the longest timeframe and highest mileage I've ever kept a vehicle. I still miss it and would take it back tomorrow if I could have it in showroom condition.

On the other side of the ledger, I thought I wanted an Acura NSX in the early 1990s shortly after that flagship hit the showrooms. I found out in a hurry that I couldn't even get in it, much less drive it, when I stopped by our local Acura showroom to check one out. Anyone over 6'1" or so probably can't get comfortable in that vehicle. At 6'7" I couldn't even fit myself into the cockpit unless I was willing to chop off my legs below the knees....

Thanks for your reply!! I'm 6'4, and my LS is even a little tight! I'm thinking about having the seat pushed back about 5-6" so that I can completely stretch out since I love everything else about the car. The Beetle is the most comfortable I've been in, but I'd never want to be seen in one! lol '03+ Town Cars and '00+ Tauruses are both very comfortable with much better images! lol I find that trucks like the F150, Silverados, etc are even small. I've never been in a Dodge(which is what you drive, I believe) though...they must be pretty good if you can fit your legs in!

You make a good point about the marketing aspect. I scratched my head for a while when I saw that Lexus reported that the SC430 has .5" less legroom than the LS430. lol

If you don't mind sharing(as well as other tall drivers), what other vehicles have you been comfortable driving? Cars that I've driven extensively and have been very comfortable in:

'99 Suburban

'01 Taurus

'03 Town Car

'04 Beetle(just test drove-nowhere near as many miles logged as the others listed, but I can tell it'd be comfortable for hundreds of miles)

'04 Expedition.

On average, Fords seem to be most accommodating across the line up. I'd say my LS provides average comfort, and the ES is below average to poor.

When it comes to comfort, the most comfortable car I have owned was

a '87 300 ZX. Pure enjoyment for the times. My second favorite was a

'85 Toyota GT-S RWD Corolla. Don't laugh <_< . That car was a 5-speed

that would reach the 7500 redline in the first four gears with a top speed

of 145 mph in fifth gear. It was my first new car. I really wish I had it now. B)

blake918,

Since you asked, my everyday vehicle is a 1999 Dodge Ram Laramie SLT standard-cab pick-up with the big 5.9-litre V8. It will literally fly whenever I ask it to, but you have to be willing to sacrifice tire wear when you choose to stomp down on the accelerator. Headroom is great, legroom is good, and I had the upgraded bucket seats re-done with sturdier padding and custom leather at a top-notch local upholstery shop. Just reached 39,500 miles on the odometer today. I imagine I'll keep this truck for another decade if it continues to give me zero problems. Dodge had to replace the catalytic converter (it began to rattle at idle) at about 30,000 miles under warranty, but that was probably because I just don't drive the truck enough to keep the exhaust system operating at maximum efficiency. And I did have to replace the original battery at about 4 years.

Blake, after reading the first post..........it sounded like a bug was about to be added to your car collection.

I’m 5'9" and I fit into the LS perfectly, except my lower back kind of hurts after about 25-30 minutes...........

Good points you brought up blake......it's an interesting question!  B)

:cheers:

It's one of those things I've always wondered about! :)

blake918,

Since you asked, my everyday vehicle is a 1999 Dodge Ram Laramie SLT standard-cab pick-up with the big 5.9-litre V8.  It will literally fly whenever I ask it to, but you have to be willing to sacrifice tire wear when you choose to stomp down on the accelerator.  Headroom is great, legroom is good, and I had the upgraded bucket seats re-done with sturdier padding and custom leather at a top-notch local upholstery shop.  Just reached 39,500 miles on the odometer today.  I imagine I'll keep this truck for another decade if it continues to give me zero problems.  Dodge had to replace the catalytic converter (it began to rattle at idle) at about 30,000 miles under warranty, but that was probably because I just don't drive the truck enough to keep the exhaust system operating at maximum efficiency.  And I did have to replace the original battery at about 4 years.

Interesting that it's a single cab(I always thought they would be smaller inside.)! Did you happen to sit in any extended cab Rams? How comforable were your Jeeps?

Blake, after reading the first post..........it sounded like a bug was about to be added to your car collection.

I’m 5'9" and I fit into the LS perfectly, except my lower back kind of hurts after about 25-30 minutes...........

They're definantly great little cars. I just have a problem with the image, and it's a 4 seater with hardly any trunk. I love the idea that the seat goes back too far! Not to mention the diesel model gets rediculous mileage without a hybrid system. I think my next addition(I love my LS too much to get rid of it) will be a '04-'05 Town Car, black on black...maybe with OEM chrome rims. B) It's got everything I want- a V8, a lot of cabin space for the driver and passengers, rediculous trunk space, and a great ride!

I did drive a RX a while back-a '00 I believe! You have a great memory! I would give it an average comfort rating. They look a lot better than they are comfortable! I just wanted to drive one since I think they look great. I think the GX looks great, but I see too many references to a particular citrus fruit in the GX forum. The LX though...that's a truck!!! :wub: I find that the lumbar support is a back killer on my LS, maybe changing the setting on your car might help your back! I find that the lowest possible setting is the most pain free. ;)

I find that the lumbar support is a back killer on my LS, maybe changing the setting on your car might help your back! I find that the lowest possible setting is the most pain free.

I'm 5'9" and weigh 145 pounds. So, I'm kind of small. I hate seeing people and me driving a car with the steering wheel covering my face. I like to sit up and see over the hood. :D So, the seat is pulled all the way up!

blake918,

To answer your follow-up questions:

1. A standard cab is what I wanted and needed. I haul stuff, not people, so I didn't want to drive around with three empty seats all the time. Occasionally my wife will climb aboard but 95% of the time I'm driving alone. In 1999, Dodge claimed to have the largest cab interior of any full-size pick-up. I climbed around and measured all of them and determined that statement was true. I don't know if it still is with the 2005 models out there. And there are some big new players that weren't around back then (such as the Nissan Titan). But this Ram has served me well, routine maintenance is so simple and inexpensive, insurance and taxes are minimal, and it just doesn't break. From an overall ownership perspective, what else do I really need? Unless some moron plows into me, I expect to drive this puppy for many more years to come.

2. Our Grand Cherokees were reasonably comfortable for me. They were primarily my wife's vehicles, and our daughter has one now. Headroom is decent, legroom is okay, and there are enough adjustments so that I can get settled in and drive them for 1,000 miles in a day if I need to (though I wouldn't want to). After we're done with the RX300 I expect that a late-model, top-of-the-line Grand Cherokee will make a return appearance in our garage as my wife's primary vehicle.

I find that the lumbar support is a back killer on my LS, maybe changing the setting on your car might help your back! I find that the lowest possible setting is the most pain free.

I'm 5'9" and weigh 145 pounds. So, I'm kind of small. I hate seeing people and me driving a car with the steering wheel covering my face. I like to sit up and see over the hood. :D So, the seat is pulled all the way up!

I meant setting the lumbar support on the lowest setting. ;) Seeing over the wheel is always a good thing! :lol:

blake918,

To answer your follow-up questions:

1.  A standard cab is what I wanted and needed.  I haul stuff, not people, so I didn't want to drive around with three empty seats all the time.  Occasionally my wife will climb aboard but 95% of the time I'm driving alone.  In 1999, Dodge claimed to have the largest cab interior of any full-size pick-up.  I climbed around and measured all of them and determined that statement was true.  I don't know if it still is with the 2005 models out there.  And there are some big new players that weren't around back then (such as the Nissan Titan).  But this Ram has served me well, routine maintenance is so simple and inexpensive, insurance and taxes are minimal, and it just doesn't break.  From an overall ownership perspective, what else do I really need?  Unless some moron plows into me, I expect to drive this puppy for many more years to come.

2.  Our Grand Cherokees were reasonably comfortable for me.  They were primarily my wife's vehicles, and our daughter has one now.  Headroom is decent, legroom is okay, and there are enough adjustments so that I can get settled in and drive them for 1,000 miles in a day if I need to (though I wouldn't want to).  After we're done with the RX300 I expect that a late-model, top-of-the-line Grand Cherokee will make a return appearance in our garage as my wife's primary vehicle.

Thanks for your reply. You've been very helpful! :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

I test drove a series of luxury cars for a friend last week-745 and 740(used), S430(used), and LS430(new). The current MB S class is by far the most comfortable car that I've driven. I'm glad the Germans(the 745 and 740 is also much roomier than a LS) still know how to make a car for those of us over 6'. The S class was just excellent...ample headroom and I couldn't reach the pedals with the seat as far back as it can go; add lots of travel on the tilt/tele wheel, and I was in heaven. The S was not built was well as a $85k car should be, but driver comfort overtakes plastic quality any day for me! I think I've found my next car for when it's time in a few years...not to mention the '05 LS430 I drove the same day resembled my LS400 too much but quieter, quicker, maybe an inch or so more legroom and headroom(not as much as what I expected based off what some LOC members have said), and smart access technology which is probably the greatest invention ever. The throttle lag and resulting jerk in the LS430 drove me insane, and I didn't accelerate past 2k rpms just as a habit from my own LS; the salesman told me I drove it too slow! lol I'll keep my LS though...for when the MB is at the shop! lol

RX, I sat in the new Jeep Grand Cherokee a few days ago. The head and legroom is pretty good, but I felt cramped from the lack of hip room.

Thanks for the tip on the new Grand Cherokees. Keep in mind that it would be my wife's primary vehicle, not mine. I would drive it occasionally and never for more than an hour or so at a time, so I could live with it. But I'll stick with my Ram as my primary vehicle for the foreseeable future.