To Flush Or Not To Flush...

I need to do something about my 94 es tranny (112k miles, no record of last maintenance to it, and I haven't touched it since 97k when I got it)...its not 'rough' but I don't like the smoothness of the shifts - it's not what it should be. I want to get amsoil into it but everyone has scared me out of flushing it, and doing the drop and fill seems pointless to me, but I'm not sure. is it REALLY that huge of a risk to have it flushed? Is there a 'conservative' way I can have it flushed? What would you do if you were me. Thanks!

I need to do something about my 94 es tranny (112k miles, no record of last maintenance to it, and I haven't touched it since 97k when I got it)...its not 'rough' but I don't like the smoothness of the shifts - it's not what it should be.  I want to get amsoil into it but everyone has scared me out of flushing it, and doing the drop and fill seems pointless to me, but I'm not sure.  is it REALLY that huge of a risk to have it flushed?  Is there a 'conservative' way I can have it flushed?  What would you do if you were me. Thanks!

What colour is the tranny fluid currently & does is smell burnt? Do you have any tranny fluid leaking at all? If you do a complete 100% tranny flush, make sure you have the tranny pan gasket replaced ($15 or there abouts) & have your mechanic clean the filter mesh screen. I will be switching to Amsoil synthetic ATF later this year myself as it's compatable with both Dexron II & III (which if mempry serves is what your 94 requires) & Toyota type IV which my 01 requires. It's fantastic stuff! Have a look at this link:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Good Luck & just make sure you re-fill it with the correct level, you will be fine! B)

:cheers:

I did ask the same question,

advise was" don't use chemical just change the fluid.

~131,000 when i did my first trans. flush(No Chemical and fluid Type III).

now 142,000 so far i don't have any problem.

Good Luck.

i think i want to do this...yeah

LexKid, neither of your 2004 or 2005 ES's should be anywhere near needing a complete fluid flush.

However, if you want to save some money on the 15,000 mile intervals and maintain your tranny in tiptop performance you can do a drain and fills yourself.

I posted a thread, here, for a 2002. It will work for 2003-2005.

steviej

If the fluid is far past it's regulat drain interval, I suggest a 100% fluid change with a flushing machine......if your on schedule, a drain & fill is the way to go. B)

my fluid is like a charcoal kinda color but is odorless...On this one I'll probably just take it somewhere and get it flushed then...I am very comfortable under the hood but I don't like touchin the tranny! thanks guys!

my fluid is like a charcoal kinda color but is odorless...On this one I'll probably just take it somewhere and get it flushed then...I am very comfortable under the hood but I don't like touchin the tranny!  thanks guys!

The flush is not a bad idea at all. Good luck! B)