Painting Engine Cover

Im going to have some paintwork dont this week and I was thinking about having my engine cover and heat shield painted the same color as my car.Im sure the heat shield wont be a prob. but my concern is with the engine cover.I know its flimsy so ill have to be careful with it as far as flexing it but the heat is what worries me.It gets pretty hot.I know you can get some high temp paints but I dont think pearl white is available.Has anyone done this or have an opinoin on the temp issue?Thanks

• 1 month later...
That looks sick.  What year GS is yours and what was the color code, just wanting to see if it is the same as mine.  Came you email me a picture at deadmilenko@alltel.net  Thanks, when the picture opened it was blured.

It is a 98 GS4 and the paint code is 051.Check your email for the pic.

Can you powdercoat plastic?

Yes B)

powder coat typically cures at approx. 350 degrees... would that engine cover plastic survive in a 350 degree oven?

Even then, plastic flexes and warps. Powder coat doesn't like to flex or warp. You'll start seeing cracks and chipping over a short period of time.

What you need is flex paint. DuPont has some good ones, same type used for bumper paint. But expensive, as you probably guessed.

Can you powdercoat plastic?

Yes B)

powder coat typically cures at approx. 350 degrees... would that engine cover plastic survive in a 350 degree oven?

Even then, plastic flexes and warps. Powder coat doesn't like to flex or warp. You'll start seeing cracks and chipping over a short period of time.

What you need is flex paint. DuPont has some good ones, same type used for bumper paint. But expensive, as you probably guessed.

You obviously need to learn more about powder coating! When coating plastics an ifra red curing agent is used :lol:

You obviously need to learn more about powder coating! When coating plastics an ifra red curing agent is used :lol:

enlighten us... describe this process

you still haven't addressed the fact that powder coating can't flex like plastic... you need flex paint for painting plastic

The coating is starting to flake off my intake,Doess anyone have any sugg. about a new finish.Ive already ruled out chrome or painting it white.Im thinking anodized.Ideas?

I was afraid that was going to happen. Anodizing will be almost as expensive as chrome. I still think you should have it powdercoated or use a high temp paint. <_<

The coating is starting to flake off my intake,Doess anyone have any sugg. about a new finish.Ive already ruled out chrome or painting it white.Im thinking anodized.Ideas?

I was afraid that was going to happen. Anodizing will be almost as expensive as chrome. I still think you should have it powdercoated or use a high temp paint. <_<

Are we both on the same page?The paintwork is holding up great im talking about the intake tubing the grey paint from SRT is coming off.I thought about powdercoating it but wasnt sure how well powdercoating would discipate heat.

Are we both on the same page?The paintwork is holding up great im talking about the intake tubing the grey paint from SRT is coming off.I thought about powdercoating it but wasnt sure how well powdercoating would discipate heat.

I'm with ya now :lol: Ceramic coating will dissapate heat and protect. <_<

powdercoat has little effect on heat dissipation or insulation. But I think with the tubing, you want insulation. Remember, the air filter is designed to draw in "cooler" air, being assisted by the heat shield. You're not really dissipating any heat in the incoming air. The incoming air is cooler than the ambient temperature of the engine bay. Your goal is to insulate the air.

The guy above me is saying ceramic coating will dissipate heat? Ceramic is one of the greatest heat barriers that we know of. Ceramic will act to insulate the intake air from the ambient temps.

that's why headers are ceramic coated. It protects the metal header tubing from 1500+ degree heat. But it's useless to ceramic coat the intake, we're talking about 110 degree engine bay, compared to extreme exhaust gas temps.

also, if you're going to paint the tubing, you need to primer it first. sand off the paint you have now, paint a decent layer of primer, then paint the tubing with about 2 coats of whatever high temp paint you want. Don't add clearcoat, which will start to bubble in high heat. Just get glossy paint