Any Had This Happen When Starting?

This happened on my 99 es300. This morning, I turned the key to start the car and it started right up as usual, but there was a loud squealing sound coming from the engine compartment. I turned the key off and the engine stopped, but the squeal continued. I turned the key back on and the engine started immediately and the squeal continued. I shut the key off and on 5 times and finally the squeal stopped with the key off. I then started the car up and everything was fine. It sure sounds like the started didn't disengage. Any ideas what to look for?

This happened on my 99 es300. This morning, I turned the key to start the car and it started right up as usual, but there was a loud squealing sound coming from the engine compartment. I turned the key off and the engine stopped, but the squeal continued. I turned the key back on and the engine started immediately and the squeal continued. I shut the key off and on 5 times and finally the squeal stopped with the key off. I then started the car up and everything was fine. It sure sounds like the started didn't disengage. Any ideas what to look for?

did it have the same sound as a starter? Or more like a fan belt etc?

How many miles do you have on her? How's the battery?

did it have the same sound as a starter? Or more like a fan belt etc?

How many miles do you have on her? How's the battery?

She has 65,000 and the battery appears OK, never had a problem with it. It sounded like a fan belt when the engine was running but had a lower pitch after I turned the engine off.

The noise continued after I shut the engine off. The car was in park and the the key was in the position where I could have removed it. I waited about 15 seconds between stops and starts one time and the noise continued during that time.

Am i reading it right ,you turned the engine off (rpms at 0 ) and it still squeeled?

If it stopped it would be a belt which is normal when it wears and either needs a new belt or to have the tension adjusted.

It will usually only squeel under high drain form the alternator which is right after starting and it tries to recharge the battery.

i didnt think lexus uses a fan belt?

maybe "fan belt" is an antiquated term because the belt doesn't actually go to the cooling fan as they did in olden days.

1995_ES300, how bout "accessory belts" instead.

either way the 1MZFE has 2 of them. one to the ps pump and one for the AC and ALT.

steviej

Am i reading it right ,you turned the engine off (rpms at 0 ) and it still squeeled?

If it stopped it would be a belt which is normal when it wears and either needs a new belt or to have the tension adjusted.

It will usually only squeel under high drain form the alternator which is right after starting and it tries to recharge the battery.

That's right, the engine was not turning. I still suspect the starter was still engaged or something like that. It wasn't a belt makin gthe noise.

My wifes car did the same thing this morning. Exact same symptoms you mentioned. Once I shut the car off and started it again, it did not do it.

I am thinking that it is the starter bendix.

Has anyone ever changed one? After finding a remanufactured one for $145, it stated that you may have to remove the intake.

If you find what the problem was please report back.

Just thought I'd let you know what the outcome was.

The car went into the dealer today for this problem and I was lucky because the problem happened when they started the car to pull it into the shop. It turned out to be the starter/solenoid. They replaced it under the CPO warranty, but first the rep quoted me a price of $500 to replace it with a new one. A bit steep to replace a starter if you ask me.