Fixing Up

Heyas. I'm starting Drivers Ed fairly soon, and I'm getting a 1994 ES 300. It's in OK condition --- no additional work on it (I.E. mods), the car runs fine, but I'm looking to give it a little bit more. Particular thing I'm looking at is changing the stereo in there. The 6-CD-changer in the trunk is going to be a pain for me... Can anyone suggest a not-incredibly-expensive stereo I can put in there? I'd upload pictures, but I'm about to go off to work and don't have time. I'll upload them later this afternoon.

you can probably go to your local best buy or circuit city where they sometimes have a sale on head units. the nice part is that the installation is free although i dont know if the mounting kit is free. sony has some nice units with a 52x4 pre-amp. i have a sony unit and the sound is much louder and clearer with the factory pioneer speakers! i think $300 will get u a nice unit including installation and another $200 for speakers. B)

i'm not sure exactly what the stereo head unit looks like on a 94 ES, but isn't it bigger than what you would normally find in cars? so doesn't that mean that you'd have to have this huge gap in between your stereo and the sides of the original stereo head unit storage area? am i making any sense? :unsure:

you know, i was thinking about my friend who had a honda accord coupe, and he got his stereo head unit replaced. he got an alpine, but the actual size of the original head unit was pretty big, i think it was a double. so what he ended up doing was he put in the alpine head unit on the top of the gap, and he put in an alpine equalizer on the bottom half, and it fit perfectly, no gaps anywhere. maybe that's possible for the 94 es? :)

Hey Guys,

Look back through other threads (like a few weeks or pages back) there are some threads about Faceplates for our cars... i think there is a link there too to buy them... but im too lazy right now to find it (if its there at all :P ) Im thinking about getting an Alpine with touch screen and Nav.. but its SUPER $$$ There are face plates out there made for our cars, its just finding one you like (or one at all). Also what some crafty LOC people have done is made their own face plate, not too shabby looking either!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

~ProZac~

Clickman, just three words.

www.crutchfield.com

they will provide the harness needed and printed instructions for your exact vehicle if they have it. Of course you gots to do the work. Check it out. (do check out Best Buy and Circuit City, too, as stated before)

steviej

I had the same concerns with the factory stereo in my ES. My biggest concern was that the dang thing had no bass- my dad's company Chevrolet put it to shame! But like you, i didnt want a big gaping hole in my dash, plus i didnt want to mess with rewiring everything, so i ran an amp and 2 10's off the rear 6x9's and used the stock head unit. I've been really happy with it, even though its not the most professional way to do it. But hey, I did a pretty good job, and everyone i know thinks it sounds good, so... The biggest advantage to this is the money saving issue, plus it has a certain "sleeper" appeal- everyone's like, "wow, is that the stock radio?" i play along occasionally

oh yeah, and about the CD changer- my 92 had one, but my 93 didnt, so i bought a used Alpine and put it in my glovebox. It fits nice, and I can even still fit the owner's manual in there! I hated it being in the trunk, plus it was closer to the head unit, so it was easier to wire up too. A few weeks ago, i removed the cigarette lighter and ashtray and put the control unit for the CD changer in their place. makes a great place for it, really easy to see and use, and it goes away when you dont need it. again with the sleeper thing. guess im big into that.

hahaha, i like the sleeper idea, you just get a lady into your car, and baam! here's this... wham! here's this! and the girls just shocked and impressed B) ... or am i just dreaming again? dang it, told myself to stop doing that :chairshot: