Bluetooth/verizon

Just got my 2006 GS300AWD today. What a great car. However, my lexus dealer said not to program the bluetooth yet since the Verizon bluetooth is very limited and they are upgrading it in 3 months or so. Does anyone have any furrther info on what this means and when can I start using Verizon bluetooth?

Thanks, Jim

• 5 months later...

I live in Massachusetts, not exactly a small hick community, and there are NO Verizon bluetooth supported phones yet for the Lexus GS300/430. I find this incredible.

I am told by the Lexus dealer that Lexus is going to have an approved bluetooth phone "in the November timeframe" and that I should wait.

Surprisingly basic issue to be missed so badly by Lexus

I live in Massachusetts, not exactly a small hick community, and there are NO Verizon bluetooth supported phones yet for the Lexus GS300/430.  I find this incredible.

I am told by the Lexus dealer that Lexus is going to have an approved bluetooth phone "in the November timeframe" and that I should wait.

The issue is the service provider... not Lexus. If you read the news you will find that Verizon is currently involved in a class action lawsuit since they prevent some of the phones built-in feature from working; namely the Object Push Profile. Verizon prefers that you send your data over their network as opposed to the Bluetooth technology. Go figure!

I live in Massachusetts, not exactly a small hick community, and there are NO Verizon bluetooth supported phones yet for the Lexus GS300/430.  I find this incredible.

The issue is the service provider... not Lexus. If you read the news you will find that Verizon is currently involved in a class action lawsuit since they prevent some of the phones built-in feature from working; namely the Object Push Profile. Verizon prefers that you send your data over their network as opposed to the Bluetooth technology. Go figure!

I just returned my verizon phone for a tmobile, cause in florida the only companies that offer bluetooth that can sync the phone book were tmobile and cingular.

My new motorola v330 works well, the only problem is the motorola phones only send one phone item at a time, which is good once you send all of them once to update items, but is a real pain to start.

I had the Motorola E815 bluetooth through verizon. That phone worked good for calls with bluetooth(and has some features I like a litte more than the v330, which has slightly older software it seemed,),but has no ability to send phone book entries. I would have kept it if Lexus would have designed the cell phone with a way to enter phonebook entries (such as entering text with the navigation system). It is very important, since without this text you cannot see any info on the 1-touch dial entries, and these are the ONLY ones you can use while the car is moving.

The sony I think allows you to send the entire phone book. I actually had my tmobile rep send my old phone book via the sony to the lexus, and then put the phone book in my new motorola v330. It didnt really save me much time however, since most of the entries needed to be editted it seems because of how the entries got sorted. It automatically ordered them by the last name or word typed in, so I got arround that by using the underscore key to hold the words together.

you can definitely connect your bluetooth phone. There are some good ways around the block on here. My phone works good once you get used to the few shortcomings

More frustrating to me is not the lack of push capability on the verizon network, but that I can't use the keypad to dial or use phonebook while in motion. I know the software workaround for the nav system, but can't find one for the phone.

you can definitely connect your bluetooth phone. There are some good ways around the block on here. My phone works good once you get used to the few shortcomings

More frustrating to me is not the lack of push capability on the verizon network, but that I can't use the keypad to dial or use phonebook while in motion. I know the software workaround for the nav system, but can't find one for the phone.

The workable solution for the phone is to push your phonebook to the lexus and then save 17 numbers to the one touch phonebook.

And what is the software fix you speak of for the nav?

If you need to stick with verizon for some reason, you could always find a tmobile guy to copy your addressbook to a tmobile or cingular wireless phone, preferrable a sony so that you can then copy the entire phone book to the lexus. I finally broke down and changed to tmobile since I did not want this hassle every time I changed my addressbook.

The workable solution for the phone is to push your phonebook to the lexus and then save 17 numbers to the one touch phonebook.

And what is the software fix you speak of for the nav?

If you need to stick with verizon for some reason, you could always find a tmobile guy to copy your addressbook to a tmobile or cingular wireless phone, preferrable a sony so that you can then copy the entire phone book to the lexus. I finally broke down and changed to tmobile since I did not want this hassle every time I changed my addressbook.

If you ask verizon (and finally get to speak to someone after 10 transfers that actually understands bluetooth), their stock answer was something like they inactivated the bluetooth transfer feature for anything but voice to protect you from getting viruses on your cell phone. Cingular and Tmobile allow file transfers.

If you look on the internet for cellular forums, it seems more likely that the reason has something to do with the fact that verizon can charge you for sending photos and other files types to your pc or to others via email, but if you could send it via bluetooth, perhaps they would make less.

I am not sure what the reasoning was, but most at verizon until you get to the most senior tech support guys that specialize in bluetooth seem to either know little about the issue, or play dumb.

The only thing LEXUS can do is change the lexus system to allow you to manaually enter in names.

Verizon is not going to change their Bluetooth phone capabilities until (or if) they lose the Class Action Suit.

The only real work around is to by a junky phone to program your numbers, that's what I do. (Dialing the number and assiging it to a ONE TOUCH button does not help you because you cannot enter a name and when you drive the numbers don't show up, so you have no clue what's stored on what button)

• 1 month later...
If you ask verizon (and finally get to speak to someone after 10 transfers that actually understands bluetooth), their stock answer was something like they inactivated the bluetooth transfer feature for anything but voice to protect you from getting viruses on your cell phone.  Cingular and Tmobile allow file transfers.

If you look on the internet for cellular forums, it seems more likely that the reason has something to do with the fact that verizon can charge you for sending photos and other files types to your pc or to others via email, but if you could send it via bluetooth, perhaps they would make less.

I am not sure what the reasoning was, but most at verizon until you get to the most senior tech support guys that specialize in bluetooth  seem to either know little about the issue, or play dumb.

You are exactly right. Check this out:

http://www.canyouhearusnow.net/bluetooth/