Tranny Flush Done

sunman

I did a complete tranny flush on my 97Es300. It has 124,000 miles. The regular 3 quart changes were done but wanted to flush the entire 12 quarts out. I replaced it with synthetic amsoil ATF. It shifts much smoother and rides better. I am very happy with Amsoil ATF. Good synthetic stuff. I removed one of the cooler lines and did the flush.

yes there is a filter in the pan. I did not use any special tools. Just funnel. 12 quarts of synthetic oil, drain pan, and some help. Disconnected one cooler line and drained it into the pan. Ran the car. Someone kept pouring through the dipstick hole. stopped the car when the pan got full. Make sure you start with one extra quart in the tranny first before starting the car. DO this at your own risk. I take no responsibility if someone's tranny fails. I did this on a 95 and 97 ES300.

I did a complete tranny flush on my 97Es300.  It has 124,000 miles.  The regular 3 quart changes were done but wanted to flush the entire 12 quarts out.  I replaced it with synthetic amsoil ATF.  It shifts much smoother and rides better.  I am very happy with Amsoil ATF.  Good synthetic stuff.  I removed one of the cooler lines and did the flush.

sunman, does your owners manual call for Toyota Type IV fluid? :unsure: I ask simply because I know that the Amsoil synthetic ATF is compatable with the BOTH the Dexron III & Toyota Type IV fluids......just courious as I plan to put the Amsoil ATF in my 01 ES which calls for Toyota Type IV. Any help on this would be appreciated. B) :)

:cheers:

DO this at your own risk.  I take no responsibility if someone's tranny fails.

Using a "universal" aftermarket fluid (like Amsoil's) that has not been tested and approved to Toyotas reliability and durability standards - only tested and approved to Amsoil's standards - is inherently risky too. Corporate Toyota recommends using a dedicated Dexron III fluid and preferably genuine Toyota Auto Trans. Fluid.

No mine is the older stuff.  Not IV.  It does not matter though as Amsoil covers both fluids.

Correct sunman B)

monarch, let's ask the question then to other members......how many Lexus owners of any model have suffered transmission problems (severe or minor & please describe in detail) as a result of using Amsoil synthetic ATF? :unsure: :whistles:

Below, I have posted a link that gives what specs the Amsoil ATF meets (or exceeds). This matter should be put to bed rather quickly I would guess. B) ;)

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

I have used amsoil ATF on all my vehicles and never had a problem. I doubt I will either. Amsoil ATF exceeds toyota specs by far. There is a very famous 4 runner guy that goes by the name of gadget. He is into high performance mods for 4runners. He had his tranny taken apart with a reputable firm called 7th level in the NY area. They also recommeded he switch to Amsoil ATF. you can check what he has done with his 4runner at www.gadgetonline.com

Would that be the same engineer who says never to change the trany fluid ? or maybe his coworker who redesigned the higher internal temps of the 1mz-fe with vvt causing sludge and a huge engine extened warr?

Or maybe the one who designed the drive by wire system which stumbles and hesitates ?

Maybe it is all the same super smart engineer.

I would not put to much faith in engineeers. Let alone auto ones! :D

Using Amsoil in your ATF will be fine. Lets see Dexron III is dino based (1 and Amsoil ATF is synethetic.

Here is the chemistry for an ATF such as Dexron III:

(Average additive concentration by wt.% taken from seven (7) different additive packages)

Phosphorous - 0.3% AW additive

Zinc - 0.23% AW additive, anti-oxidant as ZDDP

Nitrogen - 0.9% AW additive

Boron - 0.16% Detergent and AW additive

Calcium - 0.05% Detergent/Dispersant, tbn base chemistry

Magnesium - 0.05% Detergent and base chemistry

Sulfur - 0.55% FM and AW

Barium - various% used as particlate control

There is also no ZDP in ATF fluids or they should be really low on ZDDP; so TBN should be low (around 2).

This DEX 3 is outdated and the new specis going to be DEX 3 H I think. Also the Mercon V is going to Mercon SP now.

No mine is the older stuff.  Not IV.  It does not matter though as Amsoil covers both fluids.

Correct sunman B)

monarch, let's ask the question then to other members......how many Lexus owners of any model have suffered transmission problems (severe or minor & please describe in detail) as a result of using Amsoil synthetic ATF? :unsure: :whistles:

Below, I have posted a link that gives what specs the Amsoil ATF meets (or exceeds). This matter should be put to bed rather quickly I would guess. B) ;)

Been using Amsoil ATf since 1996. Now issues at all. Used in tranny and PS systems on the autos. I will say this, it shifts smoother and the fluids always smells sweet and red as the day it was put in.

Correct sunman B)

Been using Amsoil ATf since 1996. Now issues at all. Used in tranny and PS systems on the autos. I will say this, it shifts smoother and the fluids always smells sweet and red as the day it was put in.

Since I did a complete 100% tranny flush a year ago (along with a new gasket & cleaning of the filter mesh screen), I don't think it's necessary that I buy about 12 - 15 qt's of Amsoil ATF, but rather just do the 'drain & fill' with the Amsoil ATF (3-4 qt's)? B) I do that several times & it will pretty much be 100% Amsoil stuff in there. B)

Still waiting for anybody to come forward and explain that using Amsoil ATF (instead of Toyota type IV) caused and kind of tranny damage or failure as a direct result of switching fluids. :whistles:

Correct sunman B)

Since I did a complete 100% tranny flush a year ago (along with a new gasket & cleaning of the filter mesh screen), I don't think it's necessary that I buy about 12 - 15 qt's of Amsoil ATF, but rather just do the 'drain & fill' with the Amsoil ATF (3-4 qt's)? B) I do that several times & it will pretty much be 100% Amsoil stuff in there. B)

Still waiting for anybody to come forward and explain that using Amsoil ATF (instead of Toyota type IV) caused and kind of tranny damage or failure as a direct result of switching fluids. :whistles:

and....

OWN3D :ph34r:

is this ganna make those leaks appear faster since this fluid is thinner ?

just asking because i know it does that when u switch to synthetic engine oil. I hadda fix some of the leaks. Now everything is perfect. I repaired some of the tranny gaskets too, so hopefully i wouldnt have to run into that problem when swtiching?

Of those who switched to synthetic tranny fluid... how many reallly experienced smoother shifts ? Or is it just simply becuase you changed out your transmission fluid?

is this ganna make those leaks appear faster since this fluid is thinner ?

just asking because i know it does that when u switch to synthetic engine oil.  I hadda fix some of the leaks.  Now everything is perfect.  I repaired some of the tranny gaskets too, so hopefully i wouldnt have to run into that problem when swtiching?

Of those who switched to synthetic tranny fluid...  how many reallly experienced smoother shifts ?  Or is it just simply becuase you changed out your transmission fluid?

If you replace the gasket & clean the filter mesh screen before switching to the synthetic, you should have no problems. B)

DO this at your own risk.  I take no responsibility if someone's tranny fails.

Using a "universal" aftermarket fluid (like Amsoil's) that has not been tested and approved to Toyotas reliability and durability standards - only tested and approved to Amsoil's standards - is inherently risky too. Corporate Toyota recommends using a dedicated Dexron III fluid and preferably genuine Toyota Auto Trans. Fluid.

When I did my tranz flush I went to Lexus to buy the fluid and they gave me Pennzoil Dexton III fluid. I asked do u have any Toyota brand fluid and that service department said that is what they use.

Here are the details from when I did mine.

http://www.mjmautosport.com/how%20to/chang...es300/index.htm

I did not change to amsoil because I thought it was thinner les viscous and might hurt the clutches in a high mileage tranz. I do not know if this is true because I do not know that much about auto tranzs. as far as I know they are filled with magic and fluid and just work or do not.

So has anyone had problems using it because on my next flush I am considering changing to it.