Timing Belt Replacement

acronym

Lexus dealers will charge anywhere from $1,200-$1,500-it seems like different dealers charge different rates(I've seen $95/hour up to $140/hour), but it doesn't have to be done at the dealer. Personally, I'd follow 81 up to Dallas and have JPI do it; he'll be much cheaper than a dealer.

How much do Lexus dealers charge to replace a timing belt? Can you get it done anywhere else?

I found a reptutable independent garage in my area by asking other Lexus owners I would see while out and about. One particular mechanic was the clear "winner" with many of the folks I talked to. We to see him, set an appointment for my 91 LS400. He did full tune up, oil change, transmission service, coolant flush, timing belt, (said water pump was fine so he didn't change), drive belt, etc. for $795.00!

There are still honest mechanics out there...you just have to ask a few "friends"

Good Luck B)

Do it yourself.... it will take about 4-5 hours and only $60-70 dollars....

david

How much do Lexus dealers charge to replace a timing belt? Can you get it done anywhere else?

I found a reptutable independent garage in my area by asking other Lexus owners I would see while out and about. One particular mechanic was the clear "winner" with many of the folks I talked to. We to see him, set an appointment for my 91 LS400. He did full tune up, oil change, transmission service, coolant flush, timing belt, (said water pump was fine so he didn't change), drive belt, etc. for $795.00!

There are still honest mechanics out there...you just have to ask a few "friends"

Good Luck B)

david

That's if you really know what you're doing ;). I think it would take me all day, especially since I take a lot of pics :whistles: .

Carl,

I hate that... doing the work and taking pics at the same time. I just changed my water pump, cam seals last night. I still need to take out the crank timing pulley to change out the crank seal. The the crank pulley out was a pain. Tried the high tech compressor gun, didnt work. Tried using the tool recommended by Lexus, didnt work. I did it the "old school" Method.

The old school method was insert the 22mm socket and the bar again the floor and crank the engine few times. All hell break loose and the crank pulley bolt came right out.

Now i will spend more time putting things back.

david

That's if you really know what you're doing ;). I think it would take me all day, especially since I take a lot of pics :whistles: .

What makes and models of your gun, compressor, etc.. you used for the timing belt job?

I only have some wrenches, rachets (3/8''), channel locks, galvanized pipes to get some leverage when attached to rachet wrenches, and some screw drivers besides floor jack and 2 jack stands. And I plan to spend a couple of days to change my TB.

Any suggestions on additional tools I should buy for the job?

I just replaced the EGR pipe, master cylinder and front calipers. I used tiny black- and-white night-vision security camera and a 12" TV monitor as an extra "eye" when needed. I hope I can have the courage to do the TB and the car still works afterwards. I had bad experiences with some auto shops, and sometimes even with Lexus dealers too. So I try to DIY whenever I can.

Thank you in advance.

I used 1/2" air gun with 110 psi. I tried to get the compressor to go higher in psi, but that was the limite. Tried that methode for about 25 minutes with lots of WD40. Finally after one try... the bolt comes off.

david

What makes and models of your gun, compressor, etc.. you used for the timing belt job?

I only have some wrenches, rachets (3/8''), channel locks, galvanized pipes to get some leverage when attached to rachet wrenches, and some screw drivers besides floor jack and 2 jack stands. And I plan to spend a couple of days to change my TB.

I just replaced the EGR pipe, master cylinder and front calipers. I used tiny black- and-white night-vision security camera and a 12" TV monitor as an extra "eye" when needed. I hope I can have the courage to do the TB and the car still works afterwards. I had bad experiences with some auto shops, and sometimes even with Lexus dealers too. So I try to DIY whenever I can.

Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you in advance.

When we did the belt on my '95, we used a 200+ piece(I think. 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 socket sets plus several combination wrenches) Craftsman set, a 12 gallon air compressor putting out about 115psi, and a Porter Cable impact wrench 1/2". I'd say the impact wrench was one of the most important tools-getting the crank pulley off took all of 2 seconds. It was great! B)

• 3 weeks later...

Good Luck B)

Hey Steve, I'm in San Diego as well and would like to obtain the contact info for the reputable independant garage that you've highly praised. Thanks.

Good Luck B)

Hey Steve, I'm in San Diego as well and would like to obtain the contact info for the reputable independant garage that you've highly praised. Thanks.

Tiger,

Shop is "MeisterTech"  2946 Jamacha Rd., El Cajon 92019 (Actually Rancho San Diego)  619/660-6933  Contact - Brent  Honest & Reliable

Steve, thanks for the info. I've also heard that TLC - Toyota Lexus Care is good, honest and reasonably priced. I don't have their contact info but I supposed they could be found via 411.

When doing the timing belt, I would suggest that you replace the following items while you are at it: Water pump, cam and crank seals, coolant pipe 0-ring(very very important). Also inspect the timing belt tensioner and pulley. Your water pump and cam seals might not leak at the time, but 25k down the road they will and you have to pay the tech doing the same job over again. An experience lexus tech will advise you to have these things done at the same time.

This is how we remove the 22mm crank bolt. Remove the transmission cover plate, it has two 12mm bolts. Put a pry bar in the flex plate, this method will keep the crank spinning. We never use the starter trick, it will damaged the starter or the flex plate. Have fun guys. BTW, David don't forget to line up your timing marked :P

JP Importz

Good Luck B)

I'm also in the So Cal area- did you get info on a good mechanic. I am new to the club and am in the process of buying a 98 LS400 that I want inspected. Any advice? The car has air suspension. This is my greatest concern- don't want to get a high maintenance vehicle. Anyway please respond ASAP as time is short for me. Thanks, Steve.