Why's The Es So Cheap?

No they dont "break alot" and they come with plenty of options.These cars new cost in the low to mid 30s so when your talkin about a 5-8yr old moldel of course theyre going to seem cheap.Look at most $30k that are 5-8yrs. old and you will find the es holds it value pretty good.Also a body style change usually makes the prev. models cheaper.

How come the 1997 to like 99 or 00 ES300 so cheap? Do they break a lot or something or not have any good options? Because they look pretty nice, but they're just cheap. Why?

One of the best & most reliable cars in their segment. No they don't break a lot & they are (were until the IS) Lexus' entry level sedan. B) This post might be better in the ES forums? :whistles:

:cheers:

just a random thought I had, I love how the 92-99 (or 2000?) ES's all look pretty much the same. people think mine is a lot newer than it actually is  :D

That would be all the way up to 2001 chris. B) ;)

I was at the dealership this weekend looking to trade my 2000 ES for a new GS. Trade in on my car is roughly $15K, and I was told the ES is trading/selling at much lower numbers because lately the market has been flooded with pre-owned 1997-2001 models. I'm not sure how valid that statement is, and maybe it's just a local thing, but it makes me sick, considering I paid around $22K for it just 1.5 years ago...

I was at the dealership this weekend looking to trade my 2000 ES for a new GS.  Trade in on my car is roughly $15K, and I was told the ES is trading/selling at much lower numbers because lately the market has been flooded with pre-owned 1997-2001 models.  I'm not sure how valid that statement is, and maybe it's just a local thing, but it makes me sick, considering I paid around $22K for it just 1.5 years ago...

One always has the option of selling their car privately to get some more coin. But yes that statement can be true, depending on current market supply & demand & where one lives at the time as well. B)

thats  always the case though, trade-in values are never ganna bring in anything close to the true private party blue book value. 

thats the main way dealers can make a profit.

You got it......they are in the business of making money. B) ;)

I was at the dealership this weekend looking to trade my 2000 ES for a new GS. Trade in on my car is roughly $15K, and I was told the ES is trading/selling at much lower numbers because lately the market has been flooded with pre-owned 1997-2001 models. I'm not sure how valid that statement is, and maybe it's just a local thing, but it makes me sick, considering I paid around $22K for it just 1.5 years ago...

Yeah I bought my 2001 about two months ago for $20k and it is totally immaculate, loaded, and with only 24k miles. I think I did pretty good. This was from a pvt party though and the dealers were wanting up around 22-23k for similar cars with around 50k miles.

I find it hard to believe that the sludge issue would be a factor in the ES' market price. If you think about it any car could have engine sludge depending on how it was treated. Sure the ES' engine is more prone to it due to design, but it's not likely that it's value is going to drop simply because of that.

I find it hard to believe that the sludge issue would be a factor in the ES' market price.  If you think about it any car could have engine sludge depending on how it was treated.  Sure the ES' engine is more prone to it due to design, but it's not likely that it's value is going to drop simply because of that.

Good point vcv.......which reinforces the importance of getting all the service records on the car before purchasing. That way, it's guaranteed not to hurt re-sale value. B)

I believe that's the reason. There're so many used ES on the market because people have to dump their sludge-full cars cheap. I know one Lexus dealer in Michigan got this smoke blowing ES from Trade-in. They didn't even sell it on their used lot. Instead, they dumped it to the auction fast! And they're so many of them like that. That's why used ES price is going down, fast.

I believe that's the reason. There're so many used ES on the market because people have to dump their sludge-full cars cheap. I know one Lexus dealer in Michigan got this smoke blowing ES from Trade-in. They didn't even sell it on their used lot. Instead, they dumped it to the auction fast! And they're so many of them like that. That's why used ES price is going down, fast.

So you buy one at a Lexus dealer that's been properly maintained. If you bring in your service history if your trading in your ES to the Lexus dealer........they can't 'low ball' you on the trade in value if you can prove all records are up to date, because chances are they will sell it on their lot & not wholesale it out. B) I have no concerns personally on the re-sale value of my car. ;)