Power Button?

moune

I own a 90' model and I'm wondering is there a big difference for the power button. When I have it on, I noticed that it shifts harder and has more of a jerking acceleration. Will it use more gas? Is it bad to have it on, on a regular basis? What's the real purpose of it?

I own a 90' model and I'm wondering is there a big difference for the power button.  When I have it on, I noticed that it shifts harder and has more of a jerking acceleration.  Will it use more gas? Is it bad to have it on, on a regular basis? What's the real purpose of it?

If your power button is engaged your trans should not shift up till your rpm's are higher. I have never felt a whole lot of difference though so I just leave it in the normal mode.

I own a 90' model and I'm wondering is there a big difference for the power button.  When I have it on, I noticed that it shifts harder and has more of a jerking acceleration.  Will it use more gas? Is it bad to have it on, on a regular basis? What's the real purpose of it?

If your power button is engaged your trans should not shift up till your rpm's are higher. I have never felt a whole lot of difference though so I just leave it in the normal mode.

it will make a difference in the heat that is built up inside the tranny, but even this may be nominal. i leave mine on all the time.

:chairshot: You have a 1990 and are JUST NOW checking this out? HA!

I have a 1990 and find this useful only in going upgrades. It is your "overdrive delete" button. So, if you engage it, the tranny stays in "3rd" gear for you.

I find that your 8 cyls will more than take care of you and you may never need to engage this button!

enjoy your car - Ron

:chairshot: You have a 1990 and are JUST NOW checking this out?  HA!

I have a 1990 and find this useful only in going upgrades.  It is your "overdrive delete" button.  So, if you engage it, the tranny stays in "3rd" gear for you.

I find that your 8 cyls will more than take care of you and you may never need to engage this button!

enjoy your car - Ron

if its the ECT power (and not O/D power, as this is the only button that should deactivate O/D) thn you have that wrong, my O/D engages, even though slightly harsh, at around 50MPH in this mode...the LS maybe higher, but it should engage.

Basically, that buton uses electronics to override the standard programming of the ECU and firm up the shifts. it also moves shift points around. these firmir shifts are MCUh easier on yoru tranny than the smooth soft ones. the softer the shift, the more parts have to work, and the hotter the transmission is. Ask blake918, i believe he leaves his on all the time, and he now has almost 253,000 miles on his original tranny. however, the differences in tranny wear may be nominal, as the first 138,000 miles of my cars life, the button wasnt even used once (previous owner had no idea what it was but said he never used it). but knowing what i know, it makes sense to me that keeping it on would help the tranny "live" longer, but maybe it doesnt make sense to some people, just my .02 cents :)

Ask blake918, i believe he leaves his on all the time, and he now has almost 253,000 miles on his original tranny.

Come on now, out of the countless times you've made fun of me for driving slower than your grandmother, you really think I use ECT Power? :whistles: :lol: If Lexus put it in the cars, I'm sure it can't hurt anything other than fuel econ. :whistles:

I don't really see the use of ECT if your Lexus has tranny intelligence; they pick up on your driving habits and start shifting accordingly. I notice that mine adapts very quickly to my driving habits. At any rate, when I want to "go," I just plant my size 14 shoe on the gas! :lol:

:cheers:

Ask blake918, i believe he leaves his on all the time, and he now has almost 253,000 miles on his original tranny.

Come on now, out of the countless times you've made fun of me for driving slower than your grandmother, you really think I use ECT Power? :whistles: :lol: If Lexus put it in the cars, I'm sure it can't hurt anything other than fuel econ. :whistles:

I don't really see the use of ECT if your Lexus has tranny intelligence; they pick up on your driving habits and start shifting accordingly. I notice that mine adapts very quickly to my driving habits. At any rate, when I want to "go," I just plant my size 14 shoe on the gas! :lol:

:cheers:

i baby my car too. but that doesnt mean my ECT doesnt stay on :)

From LOC U.K.

Full Version: Ect Power Button

Lexus Owners Club > Lexus Models > SC Models

Bobbys LexyJan 28 2003, 05:30 PM

Has anyone tried using the Powerbutton feature? Also do you notice if you get a lot more acceleration when using this? How about fuel consumption?

shahviJan 28 2003, 07:05 PM

The ECT/Power button sweet for traffic light getaways and when overtaking. It makes the auto box stay in each gear for higher revs. Fule cons. will obviously take a hit but for the best control try swapping gears manually. It is excellent and I have scared two lexii sales-guys when demo-ing the manual on a clear road.

NomadFeb 10 2003, 01:12 PM

I have found the ECT power button to be a real kick in the backside , as has been mentioned I imagine the fuel consumption does go up a bit

SteveFeb 10 2003, 01:21 PM

great when you try and floor the car and nothing happens.. hits a dead spot.. hit the ETC button and whey hey!

So, you mean to tell me you haven't been over 70mph (crazy tranny gearing!)? :lol: j/k

ouch...very ouch LOL.

its tru though, at 75-85mph, my RPMs are between 35-3600. at 65, its like 2900 :blink: even the f150 cruises at 1500 or so...

It was my understanding that the ECT stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission (or something to that extent). It holds the transmission in a lower gear for a longer period than in normal mode causing your RPMs to go up. Higher RPMs = more HP and more importantly more torque.

SW03ES may disagree, but from what I can tell it improves your acceleration capability while at cruising speed by putting you higher into the torque band. It probably won't improve your 0-60 time or make the car any faster.

I definately disagree. There have been extensive tests done at strips and by car magazines using ECT PWR and not, when you're doing a 0-60 run it makes no difference because the car runs the same at WOT. It only makes a difference around town in normal driving making the car "feel" quicker and shifts "feel" quicker.

I personally think the LS drives 75% better in the PWR mode. I really wish my ES had one.

jacob- Its the same function as a "sport" mode on the transmission, exactly right.

Is the power button the same as sport button found in some other cars?

Yea does the same thing,like everyone else says,the car holds the gear longer and changes up at higher rpm.Also not forgetting when in the ect power mode the gearbox will shift down gears under less throttle,rather than stay in the higher gears keeping the rpm low..

If im driving my 400 with no one else in the car i keep the power button off,if i put the aircon on then i will use the ect power button because i notice how much power i loose..

If ive got other people in the car i also always use the power button or i find the car abit sluggish.

:cheers: chips..

I definately disagree. There have been extensive tests done at strips and by car magazines using ECT PWR and not, when you're doing a 0-60 run it makes no difference because the car runs the same at WOT. It only makes a difference around town in normal driving making the car "feel" quicker and shifts "feel" quicker.

I agree that it won't affect the 0-60 times or top speed as I said in my post, but what is the point of having the feature if it only makes the car "feel" different? If it "feels" different than normal then it must actually be doing something different otherwise that feeling would be psychological.

I think the shift happens at the same quickness between gears regardles of the ECT being on or not. The shift may be more noticeable w/ ECT on since your reving higher before shifting thus the feel that you're talking about. ECT must do something other than just a superfluous button. Otherwise why bother to go to the expense of adding the feature?

ECT makes the transmission hold a lower gear longer prior to shifting. This makes the RPMs increase which according to the power curve of a traditional engine should deliver more HP and torque. We agree that at WOT is doesn't matter. But....

What if I am driving at 35 MPH and the tranny is in 3rd and I want to pass someone quickly. If I have the ECT engaged and begin to accelerate the car will stay in 3rd gear longer providing higher RPMs allowing me to use the additional HP and torque before it shifts into 4th. Without the ECT engaged it will shift into 4th sooner and the RPMs will drop so I will have less HP and torque available for the pass.

SWO3ES

Since you are Management and drive a 300 and have admitted you don't have ECT wouldn't it be be prudent for you to let us 400/430 owners battle this out? Yoy seem to be adament about this subject and I can't imagine why. There is definitely a difference in performance and a degradation in gas mileage. You should read up on RPM/Torque ratios before you step in and make an opinion. Read 90% of these responses and you will see it makes a difference in RPM/Torque to 400/430 owners. Is there a LS400/430 Manager on this forum? I have seen you are well informed and provide a lot of help to Lexus owners. You have done well, and I respect that. Sometimes you have to realize to back off of a subject you are not informed on ie: 400/430. No disrespect, but I have been watching your responses and when you get a lexus with ECT I will be more willing to accept your opinion. You stated that you would prefer a new Avalon over a used LS 430, That said it all to me. IMHO. You are welcome to put a warning on me, but I would advise you to take this criticism as a boundarie you can't cross until you have an LS. Look forward to seeing your new one.

It actually doesnt make you faster, it just makes it FEEL faster.

Exactly. Auto mag tests in the early 90's found that the power button made no difference in acceleration times. The power setting turns off the gizmo which retards the ignition timing during upshifts and smooths the transition between gears. It may do other things that I am not aware of.

Heck, we may all be driving cars with CVT's soon and gear shifts will be a thing of the past.

You stated that you would prefer a new Avalon over a used LS 430, That said it all to me. IMHO.

He did nothing of the sort! ;) He even went as far as to say that he'd rather buy an ES over the new Avalon....

Honestly, I would never buy an Avalon over an LS, I wouldn't buy an Avalon over the ES either. It is a VERY nice car but it is not as solid or refined as a Lexus by any stretch of the imagination, and at least to me thats immediately apparent at the first seating.

Any LOC member can post anywhere they so desire; it makes no difference as to what model they drive. Wanting to exclude someone because they don't drive a LS is wrong. Manager or not, no one deserves to be insulted like that.

SWO3ES

Since you are Management and drive a 300 and have admitted you don't have ECT wouldn't it be be prudent for you to let us 400/430 owners battle this out?

Excuse me, who do you think you are? All members are welcome to be involved in all discussions, including managers and moderators. I do this for free because I enjoy building the club, I'm first and foremost a member.

If you have any problems having a discussion with me because I'm a manager or for whatever other reason, you're welcome to leave the thread and the site. If you think certain members should be barred from discussions because of the model they own or their status on the site we dont want you here. If you make those sort of comments to me or any other member on the site again, I will show you the door.

As for my experience, my first experience with Lexus was years and tens of thousands of miles on a 98 LS400 with the ECT PWR button. I am quite knowledgable about the features and functions of all Lexus vehicles, especially the LS series and I am more than capable of having a discussion about them with you or anyone else, thank you.

Anyways, yes the button does have an effect on shift ratios and on gas mileage, the question is does it improve acceleration times and the answer to that is most decidedly no. It does make the car feel more responsive around town, but when it comes to pulling acceleration runs you wont see a difference between having the button on, and having it off.

You stated that you would prefer a new Avalon over a used LS 430, That said it all to me.

If you'd read my post you'd understand that I said I would ALWAYS choose a NEW car over a used car. I have no desire to drive a used car. I also vehemently spoke my feeling that the LS was a much higher caliber car than the Avalon.

That was extremely rude and that type of behavior will not be tolerated, from anyone. I disagreed with you without calling you stupid, if you can't do the same to me take your high horse and hit the bricks.