Anyone Heard Of A Steering Wheel Coming Off?

their was a recall 7 years ago for a possible loose bolt.

A steering wheel bolt it either on or it is off, so if the wheel doesn't come off in your hands it is not loose.

was there a recall for the same thing on the 97+?

When I put on my wood wheel, it was a !Removed! getting the old one off even after the bolt had been undone, i'd say its probably next to impossible for it to come off while you're driving, unless you went ahead and removed the airbag and bolt yourself, and are trying to pull it off. In which case, you're an idiot :)

HaHa :P I had to have my rx300 serviced @ my dealer to do a wheel balancing etc. When i picked it up, as i started to drive i noticed that the steering wheel was off-centered. I figured they had the wheel off and put it on sideways. But as i continued to drive the wheel was turning even more. Then i pulled on it and it did come off!!

They forgot to tighten it as they said. Lawsuit in progress ;) I could have killed myself!

HaHa  :P  I had to have my rx300 serviced @ my dealer to do a wheel balancing etc. When i picked it up, as i started to drive i noticed that the steering wheel was off-centered. I figured they had the wheel off and put it on sideways. But as i continued to drive the wheel was turning even more. Then i pulled on it and it did come off!!

They forgot to tighten it as they said. Lawsuit in progress  ;)  I could have killed myself!

Yikes... your steering wheel actually come off? :o Why in the world would they loosen the steering wheel on your car for wheel balancing? Good thing you weren't on the highway when that happened or that would have been very bad to say the least.

HaHa  :P  I had to have my rx300 serviced @ my dealer to do a wheel balancing etc. When i picked it up, as i started to drive i noticed that the steering wheel was off-centered. I figured they had the wheel off and put it on sideways. But as i continued to drive the wheel was turning even more. Then i pulled on it and it did come off!!

They forgot to tighten it as they said. Lawsuit in progress  ;)  I could have killed myself!

Yikes... your steering wheel actually come off? :o Why in the world would they loosen the steering wheel on your car for wheel balancing? Good thing you weren't on the highway when that happened or that would have been very bad to say the least.

I'm not totally sure if it was a balancing, but i do know the wheel needed to be off..but yup it came off!! Thank god is right it wasn't on the highway. Imagine going 60+ on the highway and having the wheel come off...yikes

Allso well though.....The dealer's incompitance is a pain....

Hmm that's pretty bad.  When do you go to court or are you negotiating some sort of settlement?  At any rate good luck with that.

My wife's a lawyer i don't know how she's handeling it yet. All i do know is that their incompitance was unexcusable :censored: There's no reason that such an item as the steering wheel should not work correctly and FALL OFF!! while driving. I guess no one fully checked it before they passed it on to me....

I don't really want to make a BIG deal about it. I would rather not take it to ourt if they offer me an exceptable apology and maybe a free car :P Maybe they wont sell me any more Lexus's LOL That isn't worth all the money in the world. Neither is a death......

Money isn't what i'm after; all i want is for Lexus to ADMIT that they were wrong for ONCE!!

Good luck with that law suit. You can't exactly sue someone if you didn't suffer any damages. Sure the wheel came off. But it didn't hurt you any. Was it right for them to forget to tighten it or whatever happened? Of course not, they were negligent, BUT you didn't have any setback of any kind because of it EXCEPT the time it took you to return it and have it resolved. Had you gotten into an accident or something, that's a different story.

So like I said, good luck with that law suit and free car.

Andy

Good luck with that law suit. You can't exactly sue someone if you didn't suffer any damages. Sure the wheel came off. But it didn't hurt you any. Was it right for them to forget to tighten it or whatever happened? Of course not, they were negligent, BUT you didn't have any setback of any kind because of it EXCEPT the time it took you to return it and have it resolved. Had you gotten into an accident or something, that's a different story.

So like I said, good luck with that law suit and free car.

Andy

LOL wishing and hoping.....No i wasn't injured or anything.....My wife said i could go for "pain and suffereing" LOL I could have died!! That's a serious thing...All my dealer said was well, we're sorry it won't happen again....ERRRRRRR

thats crap. I would figure out a way to get those, whoever responsible, FIRED. there is no excuse whatsoever. Such a mistake should not be taken lightly.

Remember, it could have screwed u.

after being a lexus customer for so many years, u should expect more than this.

thats crap.  I would figure out a way to get those, whoever responsible,  FIRED.  there is no excuse whatsoever.  Such a mistake should not be taken lightly. 

Remember,  it could have screwed u.

after being a lexus customer for so many years,  u should expect more than this.

That's for sure. You have definitely owned a lot of Lexus'. But a lawsuit will get you nowhere with this one. The best you can hope for is a profuse apology. I would consider finding a new dealer too, if you live in an area with more than one. Believe me, I'd be *BLEEP*ed too. Someone certainly didn't follow procedures.

Good Luck,

Andy