Seat Belt Light Off Please!

llexus05

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the great information. I recently purchased a 2000 LS400 Platinum in Silver/Blk.

My question; can the seat belt warning light be disabled? Sure, I wear my seat belt 90% of the time but the other 10% that light is driving me crazy.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the great information. I recently purchased a 2000 LS400 Platinum in Silver/Blk.

My question; can the seat belt warning light be disabled? Sure, I wear my seat belt 90% of the time but the other 10% that light is driving me crazy.

Thank you!

I feel the same way, I have not found another way, and would not stick anything into the buckle, because I wouldnt want my airbag system to think I have my seat belt when i dont.

The only thing that can be done is to take out the light bulb.

I agree with all of you that light IS sickening!! I have been looking at that light everyday and can't stand it. Since i don't wear my seatbelt it's always there. I find the belt to be a waste; probably because i haven't been in a serious accident. It's a Lexus; who needs a seatbelt :o

On my rx300 i took off the buckle of the belt and stuck it in the clip! It makes the car think i'm wearing it so it doesn't light. I won't be able to wear the seatbelt ever again; not like i actually would...

I've tried to put something over the plastic of the gauge cluster to cover it, but that's even more distracting...

I never thought of taking out the bulb ;)

well there should not be any way you shoudl be able to disable the light, , its not only the light but also a pressure sensor in the seat and they go throu their own ECU, as to the last post, not wearing a seat belt is your own problem but it saved my life once and another time when i was not wearing it i had problems with my neck when the aribag hit me so bad that it almost broke it. but its your life, go ahead and do what you want.

I agree with all of you that light IS sickening!! I have been looking at that light everyday and can't stand it. Since i don't wear my seatbelt it's always there. I find the belt to be a waste; probably because i haven't been in a serious accident. It's a Lexus; who needs a seatbelt :o

On my rx300 i took off the buckle of the belt and stuck it in the clip! It makes the car think i'm wearing it so it doesn't light. I won't be able to wear the seatbelt ever again; not like i actually would...

I've tried to put something over the plastic of the gauge cluster to cover it, but that's even more distracting...

I never thought of taking out the bulb  ;)

All though not wearing your seat belt is VERY dangerous (it’s up to you) but please, for God's sake don’t make the car think you have it on. Because these cars are equipped with new generation Airbags that operate at different speeds depending on collision velocity, and weather or not you’re BELT IS BUCKLED!

Therefore, if I were you, I would take out that buckle. Because the SRS system will think you have your belt on, and inflate the bags accordingly, which might be even more dangerous then the collision itself.

Therefore, I would strongly suggest you open up the cluster from the back, and take out the little light bulb.

So regardless of pressure sensors, the car will know the truth weather I have it on or not, but I just don’t need the light flashing. In essence, nothing will change with the system (that’s what we really want) except for that light. We don’t want to FOOL the system (because its VERY dangerous to do so), we just want to deactivate the light.

• 1 month later...

I really wish you guys would wear your belts. My insurance costs are high enough and I don't want to subsidize people with a death wish. If you get in a wreck and are maimed ... everybody pays for your stupidity, not just you. Not to mention you're more likely to injure me or one of my loved ones when you get in a wreck and cannot control your vehicle because you are unconscious because you were too "cool" to wear your belt. And surely your freinds and family will be deeply saddened if you are needlessly killed in a wreck.

Please rethink this. You're puting more than just yourself at risk. Life is great, try and stay alive to enjoy it!

I really wish you guys would wear your belts. My insurance costs are high enough and I don't want to subsidize people with a death wish. If you get in a wreck and are maimed ... everybody pays for your stupidity, not just you. Not to mention you're more likely to injure me or one of my loved ones when you get in a wreck and cannot control your vehicle because you are unconscious because you were too "cool" to wear your belt. And surely your freinds and family will be deeply saddened if you are needlessly killed in a wreck.

Please rethink this. You're puting more than just yourself at risk. Life is great, try and stay alive to enjoy it!

Yes sir, I agree, and put my seat belt religiously when I go above 50Mph.

Staying alive is always a plus of the seat belt. Not to mention, it's not fair to your spouse/kids when they are going to be the ones taking care and dealing with you when you are a quadriplegic because you can't function on your own because you didn't want to wear your seat belt.

I don't care if you've been driving 75 years; it only takes one quick run to the grocery store for some milk Saturday morning to get nailed by some idiot running a redlight/stop sign.

:cries: hate to see your hair and skin stuck to the windshield when someone else runs the red light or stop sign. you can be a good driver, but how about the other driver who was on his cell phone or was drinking his coffee or was operating his radio system, or someone putting on make up. Have you ever seen some ones skin and meat peeled off their skull because they hit the front windshield, not a very nice scene. WEAR SEATBELT, It keeps you in control of your LS400! :cheers:

That's ok guys, some lessons in life are reserved for specific types. Nothing you can do, it just takes all kinds to make the world go round. Hope you like pain kid, cause you'll meet it someday w/o that seatbelt. That is, if you're lucky and you're not dead. Hope you enjoy unwanted attention too, because you'll get it with a face full of scars from the windshield. And let's not forget having to file Chp 13 bankruptcy when you insurance company dumps your a*s on the medical claims because you weren't wearing your seat belt. You won't even qualify for a Blockbuster video card son. This will most likely be your last Lexus.

That's ok guys, some lessons in life are reserved for specific types. Nothing you can do, it just takes all kinds to make the world go round. Hope you like pain kid, cause you'll meet it someday w/o that seatbelt. That is, if you're lucky and you're not dead. Hope you enjoy unwanted attention too, because you'll get it with a face full of scars from the windshield. And let's not forget having to file Chp 13 bankruptcy when you insurance company dumps your a*s on the medical claims because you weren't wearing your seat belt. You won't even qualify for a Blockbuster video card son. This will most likely be your last Lexus.

Guys, esp the last reply, the thread WAS NOT addressed to ask about your opinion regarding seat belt use, health insurance, bankruptcy, chapter 13, or your will to live, but rather to how to disable the light. YOU HAVE NO IDEA how people use their cars. Some people spend a lot of time waiting in parking lots, others live in area's where you can’t go past 35Mph 85% of the time. Moreover, some are just plain picky. Some mod their cars in ways you may, or may not like, so get over it.

Now its all great that you seem to care so much to provide extended advice, with your own spin-off as to what would happen. However, I think some are over doing it, and beating a dead horse. So let it go, and if you have something to contribute to the topic of dashboard lighting in general, or seatbelt lighting in specific, go ahead, otherwise, have a cool glass of orange juice.

Agreed. chalk that one up to too much coffee. It was rude. My apologies.

Agreed. chalk that one up to too much coffee. It was rude. My apologies.

Hey, you're right though! I don't wear my seat belt, and that's my problem. I have been in minor accidents, but none that hurt me badly. I guess i'm just flipping a coin, but that's just my stupidity. I just wish my wife would wear hers, she is a horrible driver and has to worry about her own driving skills along with everyone elses. Oh well. It's a Lexus, they're perfectly safe!! she says! ok hunn lol

Oh well...

I have a tip on dashboard light "removal".....remove the cluster from the dark plastic housing and simply put a piece of black electrical tape over the lights position in the panel, and then put the dark cover back over the cluster and you cant tell. I had to do this for my GS400 when I added a spoiler and it thinks a brake light is out. Cheers.