Lx And Gx Differences

SpeedyCycles

there is less then a $15k difference. The LX is standard with nav @ $67,000 where a gx nav is $54,000. You can also get a $1 to $2k more discount on the LX. The car to get is A 2005 GX with the Sport Pkg. The kinetic suspension gives the gx a nice ride advantage. You will get the 270hp engine that the LX wont have until next year. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I just went from Jeep Gnd Cherokee Overland to my GX470. One of my major dislikes with the jeep was leg room in the rear (mid) seats.

So, this was one thing I paid attention. Surprisingly, the GX has almost 2' more leg room in the second row seating than the LX.

The LX has a significant weight gain over the GX.

The LX (as of 2005 model year) has less towing capacity.

The LX and less MPG.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a LandCruiser and a GX 470. If I have to choose one, I will go with the bigger LX 2 years ago. If you are buying this year, go with the GX, it is awesome. I have my Treo 650 (cingular) connected through the system and just purchased the iPod connection so that I can control it throught the stearing wheel going through the Mark Levinson system. A new LX model is due 2007 (hopefully out early 2006) and I think it is based on the Sequoia which is not as good as the LandCruiser. Tough choices, good luck with the search

• 2 months later...
But its smoother and quieter, and more prestigious.

Its outdated though.

I was curious about the difference between them, and went and drove an 05 LX470 at my dealer on friday. I really didn't notice any difference in ride or quietness between the 05 LX and my 04 GX. They both have exactly the same engine and drivetrain. The 05 GX has more horsepower, but its still the same basic engine.

There was more leg room in the third seat in the LX then the GX, and the LX is wider, but the ride and quietness seemed the same to me.

You would think that the GX would have more pwoer since they have the same engine and the LX weighs more. I've never driven the LX, so I don't know.

One thing cool about the LX tho is the night vision built into the windshield. I haven't seen this in person, but read about it. It sounds really cool.

Oh, and the LX will lower the entire vehicle, where the GX lowers only the back. However, the LX says to replace the entire heght control system in the maintenance plan, where the GX does not. I'm sure that is not cheap!!!!!

Not cheap is an understatement...$8K, I heard! The accumulators alone are $500 ea (parts only!). You can always cap off the hydraulic lines and use LC torsion bars and springs (or aftermarket ones), but you'll lose the up/down capability. The stock LX t-bars and springs are softer than the LC bars/springs.

This is a great topic -- I was just about to post a question about the differences.  Let me ask this:

What makes the LX better (more expensive) than the GX?

Having driven both, I really don't see the aproximately $15,000 difference in price between the two. The LX is a bit bigger, both wider and longer, but it's not a dramatic difference. They both are smooth and quiet riding on the road, and they both have luxurious interiors, and are off road capable.

• 3 weeks later...

one difference, well not a significant one, would be that there would be less look-a-likes around town (well for my town at least) because the LX is more expensive, unlike the GX, which is more affordable around here (almost every imaginable person here in Fresno drives a GX). <_<

The chassis on the LX/LC is a lot heavier-duty/stiffer than that of the GX/LC Prado. Looking at pics in the May 05 issue of LC magazine, I'd say the lower A-arms are around twice as thick. You need the stiffness for hardcore offroading. Bear in mind that the LC is the international standard for offroad vehicles and is designed for extreme conditions. The guys on ih8mud seem to say the traction control on the LC100/LX is much better than on other Toyota SUV's (Sequoia/Tundra, etc.). Does this explain a $15K difference? I don't think so.

LC/LX have been built by Araco for nearly 50 yrs (partially owned by Toyota), a builder of high-quality, custom coaches in Japan. The GX/Prado/4runner share the exact same chassis (frame/drivetrain) and are built in the same factories. 4Runner/Hi-lux Surf are only sold in N.America/Japan now (used to be sold in Australia). The LC Prado has taken the 4Runner/Surf's place and is sold internationally. I guess this would suggest that since the GX/Prado/4Rnr/Surf are built on the same platform, there are gains from economies of scale?

BTW, the bottom-line Prado w/ 2.7L 4-cyl engine retails for around $32K in Japan while the bottom-end LC (cloth seats, etc.) lists for around $44K, and Japan has the cheapest prices for LC's I've every seen (LC still costs $50K in Thailand, and the per capita income isn't even close to what it is here!). Suppose one put the V8 in the Prado (not offered in this config overseas, but let's suppose). That would add maybe $3-4K to the price of the vehicle, putting it around $36K for the Prado vs $44K for the LC. That difference ($8K) is probably close to the real price difference in materials/manufacturing cost, with the other $7K markup from being the "flagship" model.

• 6 months later...

It is pretty simple......They are both "off road capable"

....But..

One of them is the best off road vehicle you can buy. There many behind the scene features of the LX470 that make it excellent off road. It has all the pedigree of a Land Cruiser, but has been stepped up one level. The GX is a great SUV for mom to take the kids around town in, even when it is is snowy etc.

I have a LandCruiser and a GX 470. If I have to choose one, I will go with the bigger LX 2 years ago. If you are buying this year, go with the GX, it is awesome. I have my Treo 650 (cingular) connected through the system and just purchased the iPod connection so that I can control it throught the stearing wheel going through the Mark Levinson system. A new LX model is due 2007 (hopefully out early 2006) and I think it is based on the Sequoia which is not as good as the LandCruiser. Tough choices, good luck with the search

What ipod connection are you referring to?

Some posters here mentioned smooth and quietness of LX/GX.

Did u ever drive other SUVs such as Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and how do u compare them?

And in general how do u find Lexus sedans in comparison with Mercedes sedans in quietness and smooth ride ?

Did u ever drive other SUVs such as Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and how do u compare them?

And in general how do u find Lexus sedans in comparison with Mercedes sedans in quietness and smooth ride ?

I drove the BMW and Mercedes SUV's before purchasing my GX. The Lexus had a much better , smoother, more comfortable ride then either of the germans. I have owned other luxury cars..sedans not SUV's, and none of them had the smoothness , quiteness and refinement that my GX has.

I drove the BMW and Mercedes SUV's before purchasing my GX. The Lexus had a much better , smoother, more comfortable ride then either of the germans. I have owned other luxury cars..sedans not SUV's, and none of them had the smoothness , quiteness and refinement that my GX has.

I havn't been to a dealership yet. I'm trying to decide between the 2006 LX & GX. Having to drop 8k for a scheduled maintenace suspension change would be a deal breaker for me, if I read that right. But for now the seats look to have more cushioning in the LX than the GX. I won't be hauling a family in either vehicle. Without having seen the vehicles in person I think the LX might be too large for just one or two people.Would you care to opine?