Buy A Gs?

Hello I am new to this forum, and thinking of buying a 1998 GS 400. It has very high mileage, 168000, but runs fantastically. I drove it today and fell in love. Anyway. I know its high mileage, but I have heard that Lexus vehicles are the most reliable. The cost is $12,950. Is that reasonable? The dealer says for an extra $1000 I get a 5-year warranty covering everything (so they say) except preventative maintenance. Should I go through with the purchase? There are no flaws. It needs new front brakes, but I can deal with that. I have a 2003 Toyota Avalon XLS. Is the maintenance on the GS much more expensive?

I really appreciate help! Incase its important, heres what the GS has:

-Rear spoiler

-Xenon headlights

-Rain-sensing wipers

-Seat heaters

-Nikamichi stereo

-Red orangish paint

Is it worth it? Warranty: yes/no? Hows maintenance? Thanks all!

B)

post-15032-1104640765_thumb.jpg

This isn't a Lexus or Toyota dealer. It is a used car lot. He said the warrenty is through companies I can choose from. Sound OK?

Thanks

You might want to do a search here on extended warranty. Some of the companies have to be fought with to get them to approve repairs sometimes. Or plug the names of some of the companies into Google and look for customer reviews.

This isn't a Lexus or Toyota dealer. It is a used car lot. He said the warrenty is through companies I can choose from. Sound OK?

Thanks

You might want to do a search here on extended warranty. Some of the companies have to be fought with to get them to approve repairs sometimes. Or plug the names of some of the companies into Google and look for customer reviews.

Cool and thanks for your help! Aside from the warranty, It looks good?

Thanks and help appreciated!

Thanks

Cool and thanks for your help! Aside from the warranty, It looks good?

Thanks and help appreciated!

If you look around this message board, you should find some posts by owners of that model and year pertaining to maintenance. I have an IS300 so I can't really advise on that.

I got my G400 about 4 months ago and I love it. It was a 99 with 64k miles, spoiler, nakamichi sound system. The car is an absolute blast, and makes for a very reliable and sound purchase. The ride is very smooth. Days before I got the car I drove my friends Mercedes Benz 430 sedan, no comparison, I find that the lexus surpasses it in nearly every case, especally on the road which is truly important in my book.

Prepare to become accostomed to what my friend like to call the slingshot effect. Push down on the gas and you'll feel the V8 spring to life and gently slide your bum into the back of the seat. 60mph wooshes by and before you know it your easly surpassing 80. In my opinion a car should relialbe, safe, fun to drive and the Gs400 has all of those traits (especially the fun to drive :rolleyes: ) Good luck with your new car and hope this helps ;) ~ Ignition

i never knew that the gs came with a rain sensing wiper option.

anthony, neither did i.

the dealer said it was a VERY LIMITED and rare option. my GMC envoy has the rain sensing wipers and uses a black circle-dotted thing to detect the rain. in the gs, its a little black box behind the rear view mirror (maybe aftermarket?). when i test drove it, it rained, and indeed, the wipers responded.

cool huh?

rumor also has it that some gs have heated rear seats.

why the secrecy?

i dont know....