Wow, They're Awesome

slate67

Hey:

It has been posted many times but I have to add thi. I bought a set of 1993 ES300 rims off e-bay for next to nothing and got 4 Bridgestone Blizzak WS50 tires for my 1998 GS400 (to have a set of winter and summer tires). I have to say that I am still in awe of the handling. We were supposed to get 6 inches of snow in Cape Girardeau, MO (about 2 hours south of Saint Louis, MO) and so I switched off my Chromes for the snows Tuesday night. Wednesday I woke up to 8 inches and a forecast of snow through the day. Now the important part here is to know that My city does not know what to do with snow. I have lived here for 10 years, moving from North of Boston MA, and they really suck at clearing the stuff. I left the drive and passed 4x4s, city vehicles, and overturned semis including going up and down hills with ease. Todat the total accumulation was 13 inches and it is now 10 degrees. I drove to work today without a hitch. These things grab the road like you cannot believe.

The negative comments re: tire wear I cannot atest to because I now only have 50 miles on them but anyone considering them just do it. The best tires I have ever had in my life. And this is the first rear wheel drive vehicle I have ever had. It handled better with these tires than any front wheel drive car I have used with other tires. Happy wintering. :D

Amazing, aren't they? I've got WS50's on my LS (for the 2nd winter) and they sure make driving (and passing stuck SUV's) in heavy snow fun. Of course VSC and the transmission "Snow" mode probably helps a lot too.

I never expect a set of snow tires to last much more than 4 winters/20,000 miles, based on 5,000 miles use per year, since effectiveness in deep snow depends on having a lot of tread depth. The LS I sold in last year after 13+ years was on its fourth set of snow tires.

My recommendation is to watch tire inflation on snow tires much more closely than on summer tires since winter temperatures often vary more - by 40 degrees here in just one or two days. And compensate for garage temperatures if you check tires in a warm garage, e.g. I'm going to add three pounds (1 pound per 10 degress) to the recommended pressure today since my garage is about 30 degress warmer than the expected high temperature for today.

A great little device is a little inexpensive "Air Master 250 psi" 12 volt electric tire pump -- sure beats going to a gas station to check tires and it fits perfectly in the spare tire tray under the trunk mat.

It's nice to hear that some other part of the country is getting the snow and cold air for a change.

Today it was 60°F in Boston. :lol: B)

Having snow tires and added traction does not mean for you to let your guard down. Be extra cautious when driving in the white stuff. There is always the hidden danger of underlying ice and no tire has traction on that. Keep in mind, the other guy may not have any idea of what he is doing when driving in light to heavy snow.

Always give yourself extra room between you and the next car----IN ALL DIRECTIONS.

Be safe all.

steviej

It's nice to hear that some other part of the country is getting the snow and cold air for a change.

Today it was 60°F in Boston.      :lol:  B)

Having snow tires and added traction does not mean for you to let your guard down.  Be extra cautious when driving in the white stuff.  There is always the hidden danger of underlying ice and no tire has traction on that.  Keep in mind, the other guy may not have any idea of what he is doing when driving in light to heavy snow.

Always give yourself extra room between you and the next car----IN ALL DIRECTIONS.

Be safe all.

steviej

Hey steviej:

My folks said that you were gettign a storm from the arolinas yesterday (Sunday) so now you can join in the fun. I was born, raised, and baptized on the N.E. roads. Your points are all well taken and followed. I am thinking that in MA, Dads pass on their winter wisdom to their sons much the same as Dads in MO pass on their hunting skills. Go Pats. Big Ben who?? :D

Slate (originally from Haverhill, MA)