Snow!...in Df/w?

ArmyofOne

this was the scene this afternoon as i made my way around my local suburb, doing some grocery shopping, last minute x-mas stuff, etc...

DCP02266.sized.jpg

DCP02267.sized.jpg

DCP02268.sized.jpg

^MMMMM...2000 Contour SVT in Tropic Green/Tan Leather, one of 207 EVER made...yummy.

DCP02269.sized.jpg

DCP02271.sized.jpg

DCP02275.sized.jpg

DCP02276.sized.jpg

keep in mind that it was almost 70 degrees here this time yesterday (3:00 PM...) :blink:

What the...?  Snowing in Texas :blink: ?  I guess my conception that Texas in general is a very hot/warm place is wrong.  I see that you were driving your ES250 that day.  You have other cars that you drive right or is it just the Lexus now?

i have the other cars i can drive, but oddly, my favorite for in the city is the lex. it's peppy enouh to scoot me around town, and gets ok mileage, and is super easy to park. the Chrysler Concorde Limited is a very comfortable car, dont get me wring, #1 but the transmission is going out...#2 my mom and i share it (i helped her buy it). ...its mostly the highway/road trip cruiser. the F-150 is the haul-stuff-around vehicle. its my dads for the most part, but i use it alot too. and the 68 Charger R/T (see sig) sucks in everything except a straighht line (too much HP!!), gets crappy mileage (5-8 in city...S/C Sucks!!) has no power anything (including brakes/steering) and is in perfect condition (doesnt see snow, mainly because with all that HP (its highly modded) it would not move, it would just sit there and spin). thats my dad and i's baby, and its in storage for the winter.

so i have 3 cars to choose from on a daily basis, but for my needs, i almost always choose the lex, its the most practical. B)

snowed really bad here in LI today, it took me 2 hours to get from my parents house to my house. i try not to drive LS during snow season, it just doesnt behave well in the snow, and today the road was not cleaned at all and legend performed much much much better then LS during turns and braking. LS was not built for the snow driving and i think none of the rwd lexus cars were.

The weather has definitely been off lately. My g/f's parents are under a ton of Snow in NC, yet here in Wi we have nothing. Ohio and Indiana are burried, yet again we have nothing. It just seems odd to me. We barely had a "White Christmas" It snowed enough to dust the roads Christmas morning, and that was it.

I guess we ended up with about 10" here in Virginia Beach. My road is still ice covered since they don't plow residential streets. The LS stayed in the driveway, I drove my daughters Corolla with four brand new Dunlop Grasspic II's

i have the other cars i can drive, but oddly, my favorite for in the city is the lex.  it's peppy enouh to scoot me around town, and gets ok mileage, and is super easy to park.  the Chrysler Concorde Limited is a very comfortable car, dont get me wring, #1 but the transmission is going out...#2 my mom and i share it (i helped her buy it).  ...its mostly the highway/road trip cruiser. the F-150 is the haul-stuff-around vehicle. its my dads for the most part, but i use it alot too. and the 68 Charger R/T (see sig) sucks in everything except a straighht line (too much HP!!), gets crappy mileage (5-8 in city...S/C Sucks!!) has no power anything (including brakes/steering) and is in perfect condition (doesnt see snow, mainly because with all that HP (its highly modded) it would not move, it would just sit there and spin). thats my dad and i's baby, and its in storage for the winter.

so i have 3 cars to choose from on a daily basis, but for my needs, i almost always choose the lex, its the most practical. B)

Ah I see, I noticed you changed your signature too to reflect what you have told me. Having a choice of automobile to suit a situation is very nice luxury. My mom actually wants to get a truck next to supplement the cars we have because she's always buying stuff that sometimes doesn't fit her car.

i have the other cars i can drive, but oddly, my favorite for in the city is the lex.  it's peppy enouh to scoot me around town, and gets ok mileage, and is super easy to park.  the Chrysler Concorde Limited is a very comfortable car, dont get me wring, #1 but the transmission is going out...#2 my mom and i share it (i helped her buy it).  ...its mostly the highway/road trip cruiser. the F-150 is the haul-stuff-around vehicle. its my dads for the most part, but i use it alot too. and the 68 Charger R/T (see sig) sucks in everything except a straighht line (too much HP!!), gets crappy mileage (5-8 in city...S/C Sucks!!) has no power anything (including brakes/steering) and is in perfect condition (doesnt see snow, mainly because with all that HP (its highly modded) it would not move, it would just sit there and spin). thats my dad and i's baby, and its in storage for the winter.

Ah I see, I noticed you changed your signature too to reflect what you have told me. Having a choice of automobile to suit a situation is very nice luxury. My mom actually wants to get a truck next to supplement the cars we have because she's always buying stuff that sometimes doesn't fit her car.

yes, i simply copied and pasted my signature from ClubLexus. i thought it was here too lol. it is a nice luxury, but i try not to take it for granted.

BTW, the chrysler is BACK in the shop again, this time for an entirely new tranny. :censored: Whe warranty saved our butts! (total is going to come out over $4k) car has ~53,000 miles (covered under the 7/70 powertrain)

New Orleans saw it's frist bit of snow in about 15years, and it just so happened to come down on Christmas day! ...

^that's an interesting ice formation on the bumper of my ES. lol

^nice sized chunks of snow considering it was 80degrees 2 days before

^I love this pic!...it's the L on the hood of my ES

^I aspire to be the Toyota freak my neighbor is(4Runner, Highlander, LC, and a sweet RX)!!

The tranny is already going out on the car and it only has 53k?  What's wrong with it (e.g. torque converter, solenoid)?

we thought the tq converter was acting up, so we took it in and they said it was slipping, and then they had a look and the shaft inside the bell housing was missing a few teeth, so the removed it and opened the tranny up (since they had it out anyways) up, the solenoids were fried and the gears were missing a few teeth. i will say this much, it is a quiet car. didnt even hear the noise it should have been making. it turns out there was nothing wrong witht he TQ converter execept it was slightly worn...they are going to replace it for the price of the part while they are in there, so some money will be out of pocket, a few hudred, maybe 5 but i think thats a small price to pay.

now listen to how this happened.

it was just in, it was to have one of the linkages replaced. when it broke, one of the bolt heads that holds the linkage to the outside broke off, the head fell off inside the case. it was banging around inside the case and it got caught in all the gears, then punched through the top of the case, putting a hole in the case. they said it probably didnt get launched out of a gear fast enough until my mom got out on the highway, at which point it flugh it out from in between the gears and smacked a hole inthe case. i was following her, all of a sudden, she lost all gears, all she had was reverse. we were going around 60 and she sai the car just felt like it suddenly slipped into neutral. it had been giving her some VERY hard shifts (after the linkage was replaced) and we were on our way back to the dealer. she coasted to a stop and used reverse to get off the highway more into the grass. and it only got her about 15 feet before the car came to a sudden halt. with a loud POP. we lost reverse too.

total bill is $3800 and counting on the invoice. thank goodness its under warranty.

chrysler has given us ZERO issues about replacing it. they have been most helpful in fact. the dealer informed my mother that they would have to call D/C corporate to get approval faxed over for the warranty repair, and i thought they were going to give us beef. but they have been nothing but cooperative. my mother (who drives a large amount of miles right now, about 7,000 a week) has a Chrysler 300 for a loaner (the limited, not the C) and she is liking it. maybe she will trade up! ;)

Wow, that's like a freak accident what happened to your transmission. Explains why everything was damaged in the tranny. Good thing that Chrysler hasn't given you a hard time about this. Is Chrysler going to replace with the whole transmission with a new one or are they going to put a remanufactured one in there? Oh ya when is the car supposed to be ready? Hehe, you should tell your mom to get the 300 with the hemi in it. It's not a bad looking car (I actually like it), very retro styling, but I wouldn't mind driving it especially with that V8 in it :D .

Wow, that's like a freak accident what happened to your transmission.  Explains why everything was damaged in the tranny.  Good thing that Chrysler hasn't given you a hard time about this.  Is Chrysler going to replace with the whole transmission with a new one or are they going to put a remanufactured one in there?  Oh ya when is the car supposed to be ready?  Hehe, you should tell your mom to get the 300 with the hemi in it.  It's not a bad looking car (I actually like it), very retro styling, but I wouldn't mind driving it especially with that V8 in it  :D .

they are having one (a NEW one) put in... its one of only 15 that were kept in stock at this dealer after the production stopped. the bill is $4,564.38. they are letting us keep the old one, so we can get it rebuilt if we want, but the thing is, the dead tranny has a hole in the case about the size of a quater, so even if it was fixed, it might not last. im probably taking it so i can rebuild it in my spare time and maybe sell it on ebay or keep it as a spare. i have a friend who can weld the case hole shut. i really know very little abotu autmatic trannies, so it will be a learning experince if i decide to take it on.

BTW, i forgot to mention above, that right before it went, i saw fluid gushing out from under her car for 5 seconds or so and it soaked thefreeway in front of me!!!, i knew something was up! i had to swerve but i got caught in it and went sliding, almost lost it and hit a K-Rail (concrete freeway divider)...good thing i saved it, that would have sucked! i didnt realize how slippery that stuff is.

they are having one (a NEW one) put in... its one of only 15 that were kept in stock at this dealer after the production stopped.  the bill is $4,564.38.  they are letting us keep the old one, so we can get it rebuilt if we want, but the thing is, the dead tranny has a hole in the case about the size of a quater, so even if it was fixed, it might not last. im probably taking it so i can rebuild it in my spare time and maybe sell it on ebay or keep it as a spare.  i have a friend who can weld the case hole shut.  i really know very little abotu autmatic trannies, so it will be a learning experince if i decide to take it on.

That's good that they are putting a new one in. I would trust a new tranny versus a rebuilt one. If you could rebuilt the old on and sell it that would cool.

BTW, i forgot to mention above, that right before it went, i saw fluid gushing out from under her car for 5 seconds or so and it soaked thefreeway in front of me!!!, i knew something was up!  i had to swerve but i got caught in it and went sliding, almost lost it and hit a K-Rail (concrete freeway divider)...good thing i saved it, that would have sucked!  i didnt realize how slippery that stuff is.

Yikes, that would have been bad. Not only would you have had a wrecked tranny, but a wrecked car. Good thing you didn't lose control.

they are having one (a NEW one) put in... its one of only 15 that were kept in stock at this dealer after the production stopped.  the bill is $4,564.38.  they are letting us keep the old one, so we can get it rebuilt if we want, but the thing is, the dead tranny has a hole in the case about the size of a quater, so even if it was fixed, it might not last. im probably taking it so i can rebuild it in my spare time and maybe sell it on ebay or keep it as a spare.  i have a friend who can weld the case hole shut.  i really know very little abotu autmatic trannies, so it will be a learning experince if i decide to take it on.

That's good that they are putting a new one in. I would trust a new tranny versus a rebuilt one. If you could rebuilt the old on and sell it that would cool.

BTW, i forgot to mention above, that right before it went, i saw fluid gushing out from under her car for 5 seconds or so and it soaked thefreeway in front of me!!!, i knew something was up!  i had to swerve but i got caught in it and went sliding, almost lost it and hit a K-Rail (concrete freeway divider)...good thing i saved it, that would have sucked!  i didnt realize how slippery that stuff is.

Yikes, that would have been bad. Not only would you have had a wrecked tranny, but a wrecked car. Good thing you didn't lose control.

well it would have been my car that wrecked, hers had the busted tranny, i was following her in the lex. it was nasty, thank god for skip barber driving school. B)

oops, ya I meant to say she would had a busted tranny and you would have had a wrecked Lexus.  Bad nonetheless.  Skip barber driving school, sounds pretty cool.  Are the classes expensive?

mine was ~$4,500 in 2000 i think. Maybe more/less now though. That was including airfare/hotel/rental car as well. I took the class at Laguna Seca Raceway in CA. My dad sent me, as he was concerned for my saftey.

you can check them out here at www.skipbarber.com

$4500, wow. It makes sense though with all the things you mentioned included. It would be great to enroll in a driving school, but perhaps in the future when I have $4k-5k laying around, hehe. I'll check out their site, thanks.

$4500, wow.  It makes sense though with all the things you mentioned included.  It would be great to enroll in a driving school, but perhaps in the future when I have $4k-5k laying around, hehe.  I'll check out their site, thanks.

its actually here:

http://www.skipbarberdrivingschool.com