Fuel Filter Replacement - Has Anyone Done It ?

lexus400

Did a tuneup on my mother-in-laws '96 ES today with 210k on it. Tried to replace the fuel filter (sure it's original) but couldn't do it. I removed the air box which helped access some and tried to get the fuel line off the bottom of the filter using a flair wrench. It wouldn't break loose. Then I thought I would try and loosen the whole filter because it looks like there's enough flex in the top hose where it would drop down a few inches and maybe give me better access. The nut is on the right side of the filter bracket pretty far down. I couldn't come up with any combination of wrenches/sockets that were long enough AND narrow enough to get the 10mm nut off. So, even if I go the fuel line loosened I wouldn't have been able to get the filter removed from the bracket anyway. So, has anyone done this successfully ? I've fixed hundreds of things over the years and this is one of the few where I just gave up. I know most people don't think changing them is necessary but with 200k + it can't be in great shape.... should I just not worry about it ? Man, if they just mounted it horizontally or higher up somewhere that would have helped...

Bob

I bought the part & had my mechanic change it, I'm not sure if it's in the same location as my 01. It's suppose to be kind of a plug & play kind of thing....from what I've heard at least anyways. B)

:cheers:

i changed mine a few years ago at 150 000km it was a waste of time as mine was still good

I changed mine at 62K miles and have no clue if the old one was bad or good. Some say Lexus has the lifetime filter...I don't buy it. Only took about 25 minutes and cost about $28 for an OEM filter.

I'm at about 107K and took my baby in for a tune-up recently, only to be told that it was not needed at the time. (even though it was recommended by a Toyota dealership where I had my belts changed and transmission and coolant systems serviced). A few days later, I felt like there was some hesitation when I was accelerating past 3rpm, and I took it back. At that point I decided to have my fuel filter replaced along with a fuel injection cleaning which cost me a total of $167. ($68-parts, $95-labor)