Looking At 95 Sc300

Hi folks. Newbie here! I was referred to this site from a fellow car nut(Moe) known as GrandLS400 on other boards..(thanks moe)

anyway, i am the current owner of a pretty-well modified Lincoln Mark VIII. I have had my eye on the SC's since they came out back when I ran an auto repair shop in the early 90's.

I am starting to look for a relatively low mile SC 3 or 4. I found one such candidate, and wanted to ask you folks for some advice.

it is a 95 SC300 "sport". First off, what is the difference between a "sport" and a standard SC?

this vehicle is black/tan, and has 63k miles on it.

It is being sold at a dealership(Lincoln) where I bought my 94 mark VIII. They are willing to reduce the price ($12k) since I am a past customer and will be trading in my cherry Mark VIII(90k miles).

I noticed that these SC's have tremendous resale value when compared to mark's, even with over 120k miles.

I really wanted the SC400, but to be honest, they range close to $20k used with over 90k miles, around here.

The stats on the 300's mention that they are only 2/10ths slower in the 1/4 mile, and only .4 slower 0-60

I am also thinking about the straight 6 vs the V8 as far as repairs/maintenance/cross-over parts. I am a self-reliant mechanic, I have done each and every repair/upgrade to my current car, myself, but cost of parts/tools is important to me.

Which brings me to my point. I have read about a couple notorious things to look for in a used SC. The power steering pump leaks, and the transmission shudder. I have also seen a few mention about the dash light bulbs, and the headlight hazing(dont even talk to me about poor headlights. The 93-95 Mark VIII's have the worst headlights on the planet).

So, I'll loom for any help from you good people, and this afternoon i am going to take this 300 for a spin. No, it isnt a 5 speed(drat), but hopefully...it will check out ok.

Thanks in advance!

There is no "Sport" edition from what I know, they are all the same. Where did you get "sport" from?

I've found when looking at these cars whether it has 100k or 200k on it, if the inisde is in good contition they will gof or the same price. Personally, for 12k I'd try to find a newer model with more miles since these things go forever, but if you want low miles that looks like a good candidate.

BTW V8's should not be that expsensive, and I'd try to find one of those if I'm not getting a 5spd 300

Thanks TMaxx,

for some reason, around here, SC4's go for ALOT more than the 3's. I understand what you mean about the longevity, so if I find a hi-miler for less, it really doesnt matter, other than condition, and saving a few bucks.

I really do want a 400, but since the least expensive one i found was $14,900, and had 145k on it, I balked.

I'll go drive this 3 today, and see what its got. I am a speed junkie, so it really has to have some power. if it lags, it stays where it is. I really havent driven enough of them to know what they've got. I just know I crave the reliability, longevity, and comfort of the Lexus brand. They sure are nice cars.

as far as "sport", I have seen many ad's that either have the word "sport" or dont. That led me to believe there might be a "unique" or different model. I know the Mark VIII's have a destinguished "LSC" model, and a standard, or "Base" model.

Thanks for the tips.

SC300/400 means Sport Coupe. Headlight discoloration can be rubbed out. My 95 SC300 has all dash/console lights working. After reading about the troubles here I turned down the brightness a tad. You'll be disappointed with the power of the 300 after driving your Lincoln. Can you say TURBO?

There are pleny of deals out there on SC's. I bougt the 300 for the turbo option and ease of maintanence. Regardless of the book value they have been going for less than they are worth. I have been trying to sell my 97 for a while now with no luck and only wanting $8600.00 for it. If you really want a sc you might want to look at the 97 and newer ones. Seems like alot of ppl with the 96 and older ones are converting the bumpers and tail lights to the newer style.

• 1 month later...
Hi folks. Newbie here! I was referred to this site from a fellow car nut(Moe) known as GrandLS400 on other boards..(thanks moe)

anyway, i am the current owner of a pretty-well modified Lincoln Mark VIII. I have had my eye on the SC's since they came out back when I ran an auto repair shop in the early 90's.

I am starting to look for a relatively low mile SC 3 or 4. I found one such candidate, and wanted to ask you folks for some advice.

it is a 95 SC300 "sport". First off, what is the difference between a "sport" and a standard SC?

this vehicle is black/tan, and has 63k miles on it.

It is being sold at a dealership(Lincoln) where I bought my 94 mark VIII. They are willing to reduce the price ($12k) since I am a past customer and will be trading in my cherry Mark VIII(90k miles).

I noticed that these SC's have tremendous resale value when compared to mark's, even with over 120k miles.

I really wanted the SC400, but to be honest, they range close to $20k used with over 90k miles, around here.

The stats on the 300's mention that they are only 2/10ths slower in the 1/4 mile, and only .4 slower 0-60

I am also thinking about the straight 6 vs the V8 as far as repairs/maintenance/cross-over parts. I am a self-reliant mechanic, I have done each and every repair/upgrade to my current car, myself, but cost of parts/tools is important to me.

Which brings me to my point. I have read about a couple notorious things to look for in a used SC. The power steering pump leaks, and the transmission shudder. I have also seen a few mention about the dash light bulbs, and the headlight hazing(dont even talk to me about poor headlights. The 93-95 Mark VIII's have the worst headlights on the planet).

So, I'll loom for any help from you good people, and this afternoon i am going to take this 300 for a spin. No, it isnt a 5 speed(drat), but hopefully...it will check out ok.

Thanks in advance!

SC300/400 means Sport Coupe. Headlight discoloration can be rubbed out. My 95 SC300 has all dash/console lights working. After reading about the troubles here I turned down the brightness a tad. You'll be disappointed with the power of the 300 after driving your Lincoln. Can you say TURBO?

when you say the discolor of the headlights can be rubbed out by using what ....wax , soap and water ...thank you in advance for your reply Joe

I bought my 95 SC400 with 85K a year ago for $10,000, Lexus does not have a "Sport" designation, they are all sporty by nature, dont expect the power of the Mark VIII, but rather alot of power with incredible reliability, I just passed 100K with no major problems, and i drive hard.