Radiator Flushing

Jacob

How much is the shop(s) going to charge you to do the engine cooant flush? Also, I would consider getting the new Toyota "Super long life engine coolant / antifreeze" which is pink in colour as opposed to the "long life" which is red......it suppose to last much longer than the red stuff........should be available at every Toyota & Lexus dealer so check both for price. :)

:cheers:

My coolant seems to have some rust in it, and I want to flush the cooling the system but not sure which is more effective: flushing it my self at home or having it done at a shop where they hook it up to a machine?

I'd get it flushed by a good shop. They can probably get it flushed out better with the machine than you can. Then use only the coolant that's recommended in your owners manual. There have been problems with the super long life coolants. Better to stay with the stuff you cnange every 2 years or 30 thousand miles. Fresh coolant will help prevent corrosion, and keep the water pump in good shape, etc.

That's strange bart, I haven't heard of any problems with people who want to move to the super long life coolant.......product states that it is in fact safe to use & is compatible with previous Toyota Engine coolants..... :blink: Jacob, I would agree with bart however to get a good shop (perhaps a Lexus / Toyota dealer if the price is reasonable) to get the cooling system flushed & check with a couple of Lexus dealers to see if the super long life stuff is safe to use with your specific model & year Lexus. The good thing with the super long life stuff is it is already 'pre-mixed' with distilled water in a 55% coolant - 45% distilled water mixture so chances are you only need 2+ jugs of it. B) I'll be switching to the pink stuff next time I'm do for a coolant change as I have just the regular 'long life' (red) stuff in there now. :)

Thank you all for your replies,

As for the prices, I know an oil lube shop that does it for $70 whereas the Toyota dealer charges $100. So, they are about the same price because if I have it done at the lube shop I would still have to buy two gallons of antifreeze for about $35. So, I think I’ll have done at the dealer. I have flushed a few cars before, and I know that it is NO FUN.

Jacob

Jacob, personally this is one flush I leave to the dealer simply because I don't want to be responsible for proper waste disposal. I don't want ethylene glycol in my driveway (don't want to have an accidental poisoning of someones' pet that may come across leftover spill).

Oil and tranny fluid I collect and take to the waste disposal station. It is easy to contain and or clean up if necessary. Coolant flush is not so easy.

Do the coolant at the dealer.

steviej

I think the long life red coolant is fine. I haven't heard of any problems with it. It's probably better than the green stuff.

If you want to know how to on an LS: http://www.lexls.com/coolant.html

It's a job but I think you can do a perfectly good job if you DIY. Yeah, it can be a little messy.

I don't see how disposal of used coolant is different than any other fluid. Collect it in a large container and bring it to your county recyling center.

I don't see how disposal of used coolant is different than any other fluid.  Collect it in a large container and bring it to your county recyling center.

It is not as easy to collect as oil or tranny fluid, and there is way more of it. Around my parts it is illegal if any goes into the street sewer. I just can't be bothered with the possibilities of "what could happen" that's all. In addition, The ES also has a particular refill procedure that can be tricky if not done right. I leave mine to the dealer.

steviej

Will you stick with the regular red 'long life' Toyota coolant steviej or switch to the pink 'super long life' stuff? :unsure: I want to go with the pink stuff next time I'm do for a coolant change.......the product is suppose to be compatable with the red coolant......but almost all the old fluid is flushed out anyways so I don't see the problem if the pink stuff is fine for aluminum rads. B)

I don't see how disposal of used coolant is different than any other fluid.  Collect it in a large container and bring it to your county recyling center.

It is not as easy to collect as oil or tranny fluid, and there is way more of it. Around my parts it is illegal if any goes into the street sewer. I just can't be bothered with the possibilities of "what could happen" that's all. In addition, The ES also has a particular refill procedure that can be tricky if not done right. I leave mine to the dealer.

steviej

That's correct, plus if one is flushing there's all that water which is conaminated with coolant and it has to go somewhere. I had the private garage that does my work, flush and replace the coolant and the brake fluid for my 30,000 mile inspection. He used all Toyota products and it cost me a mere $79 for the whole deal.

I have large 5 gallon containers so collecting used coolant is not a problem. Altogether after my coolant flush I had 6 gallons to dispose of. It's probably illegal to pour it down the drain anywhere, I know it is here. That's why I bring mine into the recycling center.

The red "long life" Toyota / Lexus coolant is suppose to be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles (according to the jug's instructions). The pink "super long life" coolant is 5 years or 150,000 miles. I think the pink coolant is only a couple bucks more than the red stuff at your local Toyota or Lexus parts department. I'm going to se the pink stuff myself next cooling system flush......it already has it 'pre-mixed' with a 55% coolant & 45% distilled water solution. :D