Ls 430 Radar Guided Cruise?

ihparker

I have a 2004 LS 430 with laser active cruise control. I love the feature (one of my favorite toys), bt it gets blinded in low sun and inclimate conditions.

I know that supposedly Lexus was moving to the more reliable (like BNW and Mercedes) radar guided cruise, but the Lexus site still only shows the laser option.

Does anyone know if the radar guided is available. It may just make me move to the 2005 from the 2004.

Thanks

the radar guided cruise control is part of the pre collision system. very few cars are built with it. The system works by usuing millimeter wave radar to constantly monitor the road ahead and detect the presence of an object. Using input from the radar, speed sensors, steering ang le etc. it can determine an unavoidable accident. At that point it will activate the brake assist, cinch the seat belts, and changes the dampening force of the shock absorbers to help reduce nose dive.

the radar guided cruise control is part of the pre collision system. very few cars are built with it. The system works by usuing millimeter wave radar to constantly monitor the road ahead and detect the presence  of an object. Using input from the radar, speed sensors, steering ang le etc. it can determine an unavoidable accident.  At that point it will activate the brake assist, cinch the seat belts, and changes the dampening force of the shock absorbers  to help reduce nose dive.

Cool. I'd like to get one of them that also steers around the object, and puts me back in the proper lane of traffic after that. :D

• 1 year later...

Yes, radar cruise is availiable and has been since late in the 04 run.

I have a 2003 Ultra LS430, and it is listed as laser cruise, but when activated, it clearly states RADAR READY before applying. Could you tell me please--do I have the less reliable laser cruise, or is my cruise radar? It is clearly listed as LASER when I bought the car used, however, it does say RADAR READY every time I use it.

Ross

the radar guided cruise control is part of the pre collision system. very few cars are built with it. The system works by usuing millimeter wave radar to constantly monitor the road ahead and detect the presence of an object. Using input from the radar, speed sensors, steering ang le etc. it can determine an unavoidable accident. At that point it will activate the brake assist, cinch the seat belts, and changes the dampening force of the shock absorbers to help reduce nose dive.

I have a 2003 Ultra LS430, and it is listed as being with laser cruise, but when activated, it says RADAR READY before applying. Do I have the radar version, because it is the Ultra model? Other people have stated that radar was only available in 2004. It seems confusing, the car stipulating it is laser cruise but having a radar ready signal before applying. Thank you for your time.

Ross

ALL of the systems say "RADAR READY" when you turn them on-- even my '01 with the laser cruise. If you have a small cave-like structure on the left side (drivers' right) of the front of the car underneath the bumper with 2 clear windows, you have the laser cruise control. If you have the "L" logo seemingly sealed in a plastic case in the center of your grille, you have the millimeter radar system (and also the PCS system). Radar cruise was offered only with the PCS system, laser cruise was still offered on the non-PCS cars, and before mid MY 2004 it was all laser.

I have heard about some people having a lexan cover cut for the laser sensor and velcroing it on....it doesn't seem to affect the operation of the sensor but seems like a hassle.

I don't know if I would necessarily agree with Steve that the radar is absolutely better. It's a newer system, so its logic may be better programmed, but I've never driven an LS with it so I don't know if it works much different in the real world or not.

But it does see through fog and rain (although you may not be wanting to use cruise in those situations anyway) and the sensor is also actually mounted behind the grille in front of the radiator so it's much less susceptible to damage. But if you come up on a large non-metallic object in the road the radar might not see it. That's probably why the APCS on the next-gen LS has radar and cameras...and the lane keeping assist will actually steer the car back into the lane (but not around things alas).

:cheers:

I have the radar transmitter on the passenger side behind the bottom grill and it was obviously hit by road trash and the glass is cracked..So when I turn on cruise I get a warning..Radar Service needed..$2,000.00 for a system that's questionable...So upon startup.. I switch modes and go to regular cruise. Works great.

I don't know if I would necessarily agree with Steve that the radar is absolutely better. It's a newer system, so its logic may be better programmed, but I've never driven an LS with it so I don't know if it works much different in the real world or not.

Radar has a lot of benefits over laser, it has a wider field of vision, its not as effected by rain, fog, and adverse weather, and the sensor isn't in a position where it can be as easily damaged.

Radar has a lot of benefits over laser, it has a wider field of vision, its not as effected by rain, fog, and adverse weather, and the sensor isn't in a position where it can be as easily damaged.

Certainly from a durability standpoint it's better, but like I've said I haven't tried the radar so I don't know it in general if it drives much differently or not. I know people that have the PCS and say they don't like it, I know people that have the laser and love it, and vice-versa. It seem to be more of a personal preference as far as driving style.

As the prices fall on the radar hardware everyone seems to be moving in that direction; I think BMW, MB. and Audi all use radar, Jaguar I think still uses laser. I wonder why they didn't think to put the laser sensor behind the windshield, like the rain sensor...or the cameras in the new S and LS.

I'm still hoping for the laser that can zap the annoying drivers in front of you...now THAT would be worth it.