Plastic Cleaner

I tried mothers plastic cleaner to clean my headlights but it did not work.  The plastic is still stained with dirt, what else could I use to clean it?

I used Headlight Resurfacer and Protector from http://66.241.223.236/merchant2/merchant.m...gory_Code=Other

It's a 2 step process with optional third step. It did a good job on all but the deepest stone chips. There's enough stuff for several cleanings. I've done business with these guys over the last two years and they are reliable.

Follow the instuctions carefully.

I tried mothers plastic cleaner to clean my headlights but it did not work.  The plastic is still stained with dirt, what else could I use to clean it?

I used Headlight Resurfacer and Protector from http://66.241.223.236/merchant2/merchant.m...gory_Code=Other

It's a 2 step process with optional third step. It did a good job on all but the deepest stone chips. There's enough stuff for several cleanings. I've done business with these guys over the last two years and they are reliable.

Thanks for the product recommendation, I'll do a little research before i purchase

:D

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Removing Oxidation or scratches from Vehicle headlights, Brake lights (polycarbonate)

Most vehicles now have a protective, transparent, plastic lens covering the headlights to protect expensive lamps (headlight assemblies range from 500-$700+) from flying stones and road debris. They discolour over time, becoming opaque and cloudy, these lenses can severely restrict the amount of light reaching the road.

UVR induced discoloration (yellowing) will permeate through the plastic over time and is caused by accumulated exposure to ultraviolet light. While most of the cloudiness is on the surface, severely discoloured lens cannot be brought back to optical clarity. If you live in a southern state, this discoloration can become noticeable in as little as two-years

Application Methodology:

·Use a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) if this does not remove the oxidation use a plastic polish Meguiar’s PlastX or Renovo Plastic Cleaner

·Plastic Cleaners can be used to clean and condition Perspex as well as flexible plastic but is not suitable for use on glass.

·Prior to application of a plastic polish ensure that the window is clean and free from dust particles by washing with a soft cloth and warm water.

·It is not advisable to use cleaning detergents on plastic.

·Shake the bottle thoroughly. Plastic polish can be hand or machine applied

·Using a random orbital buffer with a 3.5-inch backing plate and a 4-inch (LC White) polishing pad or a terry cloth applicator

·Place a small dab (about ½-inch diameter) of plastic polish on the foam pad or applicator.

·Place the pad on the lens surface and turn on the machine (speed #4)

·Polish the lens repeatedly in a left-to-right and an up and down pattern.

·Continue polishing until all the polish is gone

·Wipe the lens with a damp Microfiber towel

·Inspect the lens, repeat the polishing process 2-3 times as necessary

·Plastic polish will not remove clarity defects that are within the plastic but it will remove external/surface scratching and oxidation (yellowing)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

• 2 weeks later...
I've noticed my headlamp covers are yellowish and I do live in a southern state. Should I even attempt to clean them or just buy new ones?

If the discoloratin is on the outside, yes, try to clean them. Headlight assemblies are not cheap and often difficult to change.

I tried mothers plastic cleaner to clean my headlights but it did not work. The plastic is still stained with dirt, what else could I use to clean it?

try mothers aluminum mag polish you can get it any any pepboys ect...for about 3-4 dollars......thats what i use i works great........

if it won't work by hand, bring out the ole dremmel tool on a low letting 2-3......i've done that method many times with crystal clear results.

I am not certain if the discoloration is on the inside or the outside. Also, I do not have an orbital buffer or a dremmel tool. Any further recommendations?

It's a cream metal polish with chemical cleaners, and a mild abrasive. It will take a brass item that's turned green and clean it up in a hurry, with just a little rubbing. We used it in the service to keep brass uniform buttons, etc, all shiny. I still keep some around for gun parts and stuff. I've never tried it on plastic lense though.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shoppin...archid=inceptor

f07776_dt.jpg

I use brasso to clean the tips (chrome) does and awesome job and for the plastic headlights I use regular Armor All..works excellent and brings out the bling in those headlights. I wish I could get xenons for it but I'm getting them for my other car B) B)