93 400ls Cluster Going Black

forswami

I just noticed yesterday a place on EBay that advertises repairing the cluster for $150. Which ain't bad. There are also threads on this website that discuss this problem. Type in "instrument cluster" under search here.

Type in "Lexus ls400" under Cars and Accessories on EBay. It's on about page 7.

Best of luck.

This is a common problem. What happens is that a few capacitors on the instrument cluster circuit board fail. All you need to do is take the cluster out, de-solder a few capacitors, then re-solder a new one in. I will have instructions for this coming to my site in the near future. I do have cluster removal instructions on my site.

If you don't want to DIY, then send it to Jim Walker and he'll fix it for around $200.

Oh that would be great if you can put that on ur website lexls. Your website is so detailed, it definitely helps idiots like me a lot in the DIYer field. THANKS.

• 2 years later...

I just noticed yesterday a place on EBay that advertises repairing the cluster for $150. Which ain't bad. There are also threads on this website that discuss this problem. Type in "instrument cluster" under search here.

Type in "Lexus ls400" under Cars and Accessories on EBay. It's on about page 7.

Best of luck.

Would you happen to have a diagram that shows the 12v negative and positive soldering points on the instrument cluster of a 1992 LS400. I am looking to replace those two oval shaped florescent bulbs with two flexible led strips. Thanks for the help, your a true god when it comes to the LS400.

This is a common problem. What happens is that a few capacitors on the instrument cluster circuit board fail. All you need to do is take the cluster out, de-solder a few capacitors, then re-solder a new one in. I will have instructions for this coming to my site in the near future. I do have cluster removal instructions on my site.

If you don't want to DIY, then send it to Jim Walker and he'll fix it for around $200.

Hi carl, I have a 1992 Lexus LS400 and I am triing to replace those oval shaped flourescent bulbs in my instrument cluster with a blue led flexible strip. I wanted to know do you have a picture or diagram that shows where the positive and negative soldering points are on the power board inside the cluster so I can supply power to the led strip.