Lexus Oil Filter Virsus Toyota

cuball

I've found that an oil filter from my Lexus dealer is far more expensive than any filter sold at the Toyota dealer. Like 50% higher! I bought a filter from the Toyota dealership that belongs to the V6 Highlander. Which I believe is the same as the RX300. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or what Toyota filter crossreferances with the Lexus RX300?

Well, does the Toyota filter look the same and does it fit your ES? Lexus and Toyota V6's have been almost identical for many years.

I've been buying filters for our LS400's from a Toyota dealer (last time they were $4 each in a 10-pack) ever since I found out that the same filter is used on the V8 Toyota Landcruiser.

The 2001 RX300 shares the same Toyota 1MZ-FE engine with several other Toyota models. All 1993-2005 1MZ-FE and 3MZ-FE engines use the same Toyota oil filters. Toyota dealers price them lower than Lexus dealers do. There are 3 Toyota oil filters that are Toyota approved for use with the 1993-2005 1MZ-FE and 3MZ-FE engines.

1. Toyota 90915-20003 filter. This is the filter brand new 1MZ-FE and 3MZ-FE engines come with. It's designed by Nippondenso and made in Japan. Very few dealers carry it, but they can sometimes special order them and it's the most expensive filter.

2. Toyota 90915-08922 filter. It's made by Purolator here in the USA to Toyota's specifications. It's the least expensive filter ($3.87 each at 1sttoyotaparts.com) All dealers carry it.

3. Toyota 90915-YZZD1 filter. It's designed by Nippondenso and made in Thailand. All dealers carry it. Priced midway between the 90915-20003 and the 90915-08922

I've found that an oil filter from my Lexus dealer is far more expensive than any filter sold at the Toyota dealer. Like 50% higher! I bought a filter from the Toyota dealership that belongs to the V6 Highlander. Which I believe is the same as the RX300. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or what Toyota filter crossreferances with the Lexus RX300?

BTW, you don't have to buy OEM oil filters. Lexus can't void your warranty because you use an aftermarket oil filter (forgot the name of the law that covers this).

I used K&N performance oil filter and Fram Tough Guard, both have a silicone valve that holds engine oil when you turn off the engine. I like the K&N because it is easy to put on and off with that 1" wrench nut.

BTW, you don't have to buy OEM oil filters. Lexus can't void your warranty because you use an aftermarket oil filter

But using an aftermarket filter still risks engine damage in subtle ways like this:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/fram.jpg The Toyota oil filter on the RX300 & ES300 can be reached from above (after the engine has cooled off) by using a cap wrench like this http://www.saber.net/~monarch/oilfil20211.jpg connected to a regular 3/8" drive ratchet handle.

BTW, you don't have to buy OEM oil filters. Lexus can't void your warranty because you use an aftermarket oil filter

But using an aftermarket filter still risks engine damage in subtle ways like this:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/fram.jpg The Toyota oil filter on the RX300 & ES300 can be reached from above (after the engine has cooled off) by using a cap wrench like this http://www.saber.net/~monarch/oilfil20211.jpg connected to a regular 3/8" drive ratchet handle.

Looking to the picture in the link, it is a little misleading to compare a brand new air filter (OEM) to a used one (FRAM).

I like most OEM parts. But just because a part is OEM does not mean it is better. For example, the 00 RX300s have Bridgestone Dueler tires but they can't handle snow well and wear out < 40000 miles even with proper inflation and rotation. 10w30 OEM engine oil can not match the higher burn and lower pour temperatures of 10w30 Mobile One synthetic.

I like the anti-drain valves because most of the engine oil drains to the oil pan after engine is shut off, an anti-drain valve will help the engine to cut dry-start time. Correct me if I am wrong but the OEM oil filters do not have this feature.

The 2001 RX300 shares the same Toyota 1MZ-FE engine with several other Toyota models.  All 1993-2005 1MZ-FE and 3MZ-FE engines use the same Toyota oil filters. Toyota dealers price them lower than Lexus dealers do.  There are 3 Toyota oil filters that are Toyota approved for use with the 1993-2005 1MZ-FE and 3MZ-FE engines.

1. Toyota 90915-20003 filter. This is the filter brand new 1MZ-FE and 3MZ-FE engines come with.  It's designed by Nippondenso and made in Japan.  Very few dealers carry it, but they can sometimes special order them and it's the most expensive filter.

2. Toyota 90915-08922 filter.  It's made by Purolator here in the USA to Toyota's specifications.  It's the least expensive filter ($3.87 each at 1sttoyotaparts.com)  All dealers carry it.

3. Toyota 90915-YZZD1 filter. It's designed by Nippondenso and made in Thailand.  All dealers carry it. Priced midway between the 90915-20003 and the 90915-08922

Thanks monarch, this is the info I was looking for. :cheers:

The oil filter issue has been the topic of many debates on this & other forums in LOC & CL. I personally use either Mobil 1 or K & N oil filters & have never had a problem. There are several sites that actually 'disect' & open the filters up to see what is inside such as the filter media & such.........the Mobil 1 & K & N filters did very well overall compared to other popular filters OEM & aftermarket. Fram (several different models) did very poorly & I will never again buy them. B)

:cheers:

lexus parts dept = toyota parts dept + 2 table spoon of rip off

no difference in parts

Back to the oil filter - I usually purchase our oil & oil filter at Orielly auto parts. They have their own brand (can't remember the name) of oil filter that is made by purolator. It is about the same price as the cheap oil filter sold by Toyota - around $3.20. I use this same filter for my truck as well....and have been pleased.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a site that did some testing on filters.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

have a look

Jeff

Thanks for the link. Here is another interesting study I found on Acura TL forum

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

I will be using Purolator PureOne since it has synthetic fiber to filter finer particles down to 20 micro size.