Air Filter Change...yuck

ArmyofOne

gallery_12224_5_1099625426.jpg

thats what was in my airbox, no wonder the car was running like crap!

next week is plugs and wires, fuel filter etc.

i change dthe Filter when there were 140,777 on the Main odo, and 777 on the trip odo, thought that was funny.

i changed the filter, but the car wouldnt stay running with the new filter.

anyway, i pulled the airbox top off after unplugging the MAF, and i looked at the TB. the plate looked ok from the outside when it was closed...WRONG! i pulled the accelerator cable back and the plate stuck unless i gave it a tug, then it came open and i coudl see the nastyness that was my intake. i put some TB/Intake cleaner in the intake while holding open the plate, then i sprayed some on the plate, and wiped the plate off, it may be a half assed job, but it makes a world of difference. i put it all back togehter and started the car...ran like a champ!.

i put some TB/Intake cleaner in the intake while holding open the plate, then i sprayed some on the plate, and wiped the plate off, it may be a half assed job, but it makes a world of difference. i put it all back togehter and started the car...ran like a champ!.

That's what I want to do to the LS......but didn't want to take everything apart.

Sounds like this will work just fine!!!

:cheers:

Besides, that's all the dealer does :lol:

i put some TB/Intake cleaner in the intake while holding open the plate, then i sprayed some on the plate, and wiped the plate off, it may be a half assed job, but it makes a world of difference. i put it all back togehter and started the car...ran like a champ!.

That's what I want to do to the LS......but didn't want to take everything apart.

Sounds like this will work just fine!!!

Besides, that's all the dealer does :lol:

use STP Throttle Body/Intake Manifold Cleaner, it seems to be the most powerful, and burn the easiest. this cars intake seems to be tepermental. ayway, to cure the problem which recured today, i just wiggled the airbox. doesnt much matter since the Inner CV joints just blew.

KC lexus dealer lists the throttle body cleaning as part of their 60K service.....

I did most all of it this summer but didn't get to the throttle body.........so I'll give it a quick touch up!!

Thanks!!

oh, 1 other detail, if you hat a factory FSTB (front Strut Tower Brace) you will have to remove it to do all ofthis, not a big deal, its 4 nuts.

Cool.  The poor engine was being suffocated.

not exactly, the poor engine was sucking in unfiltered air, notice how there is no gasket aroun the filter in the pic? thats because the gasket that was on it turned to dust when i touched it. i literally had to vaccuum it out of the bottom of the airbox. so it was sucking in dirty air for mrobably the last 100,000 miles, im amazed it still runs as good as it does. the motor/trans has NEVER told me no when i tell it to do something. and thats the way i like it. :D

99lsguy, im not sure how it is on an LS but on an es, you dont have to remove any vaccuum hoses to get to the intake, only the big rubber intake hose.

not exactly, the poor engine was sucking in unfiltered air, notice how there is no gasket aroun the filter in the pic? thats because the gasket that was on it turned to dust when i touched it. i literally had to vaccuum it out of the bottom of the airbox. so it was sucking in dirty air for mrobably the last 100,000 miles, im amazed it still runs as good as it does. the motor/trans has NEVER told me no when i tell it to do something. and thats the way i like it. :D

99lsguy, im not sure how it is on an LS but on an es, you dont have to remove any vaccuum hoses to get to the intake, only the big rubber intake hose.

Well then, at some point in its life there had to be a high pressure drop across the filter. God only knows what all happened over that period of time. I do hope it's all better now.

Well then, at some point in its life there had to be a high pressure drop across the filter. God only knows what all happened over that period of time. I do hope it's all better now.

been 197 mile snow, just not quite to a half a tank yet...so far so good. :whistles: :D

been 197 mile snow, just not quite to a half a tank yet...so far so good.:whistles: :D

Good deal. :cheers:

been 197 mile snow, just not quite to a half a tank yet...so far so good.:whistles: :D

Good deal. :cheers:

oh and one more thing, make sure to clean your MAF and IAT while in there, thast what waws making mine run all funky, they were both filty!

• 1 month later...

oh and one more thing, make sure to clean your MAF and IAT while in there, thast what waws making mine run all funky, they were both filty!

MAF and IAT?

please elaborate for those who are challenged when it comes to automotive acronyms.

MAF=Mass Airflow Sensor

IAT=Intake Air Temperature Sensor.

:D

its on the drivers side fuel rail, but...............

i very seriously doubt your fuel filter is clogged, that is a very uncommon problem with the Lexus V8

its more than likely something faulty in the ignition, or a broken vaccum line or a dirty throttle body, or bad Maf, but in all honesty i doubt its the fuel filter

• 1 month later...
How do you get to the air filter.  I want to replace with K&N on 2002 LS430

whoo-hoo! old thread! LOL.

its right there on the drivers side in a black box. what cant you get to? ona 430, it may be on the pass side.

• 1 year later...

first thing DO NOT spray anything into your MAF (mass air flow sensor) you WILL destroy it and unless your lucky and have a good junk yard around the way you will be shelling out quite a bit of cash for this part if you were to buy it brand new.. secondly becarful when cleaning the intave valve as it might have a special coating on the valve itself and can be bad if you rub it off, third if you dont like to replace your air filter get a K&N air filter for your model, they last 50,000 miles be fore you have to clean them ,never need replacing, and add about 4+ horse power..