Trans Fluid?

Bill560

well to check the screen you need to drop the tranny pan

undo all those little bolts

and tehn there is a liver shaped piece held with i think one screw

it has an opening on the side you are looking at , as that is the oil pick up and it sits almost to the bottom of the pan ( so it is going to be the lowest thing in there)

undo the screw pop it off and clean it

i used degreaser and a small metal brush to get deep inside as the openings top or bottom are small

make sure it is really dry

no water at all before reinstalling

i can't remember what i said about pick up lines but i think it was regarding flushing the system

it would take a few gallons and a large container to do it at home

but possible

basically getting the car and transmission to normal temp

( see here is your problem when the flow valve opens you car quits)

do a simple flush first of the fluid with a line from a fresh jug going to the tranny and the one that leads to the radiator to a catch container

so it is just sucking up new fluid and dumping the rest right out of the system

i am speaking of the 2 hoses that come from the tranny to the rad for cooling it

this is the easiest and only place i know of to redirect the flow

and may shops have a filter machine ( walmart)

which does the exact same thing

probably for less money and head ache

where the hell do you find time to read magazines aswell as web forums

man you can't be married

lol

you almost remind me of a friend over at

www.toyotanation.com

name phi

you can ask anything on any subject and he will find a link on the web for it

he is almost scary with his supercharged 97 camry and a t1 ultra high speed line

see yah

where else do we spend most of our time on here.......

.......at work. :chairshot:

just kidding.

The pop mechanics was in the waiting room of my dealership.

I usually hit the forums for an hour before retiring at night.

I don't carry work stuff in my briefcase either....life is too short for that....its usually has car mags and stuff.

I make my life my career, I don't make my career my life.

peace. steviej

hmmm

do you have a digital camera to show us?

when you say alot of shavings

enough to fill you whole hand or just on the magnet?

most of the time the problem is the clutches

but it sounds like the valves are not opening fully causing a grinding of the gears

No I don't have a digital camera. The shavings are on the magnet and an extra one that the previous owner must have put in. There are some shavings in the bottom of the pan also but not to fill your hand.

A good example would be if you mixed up a cup of coffee with sugar and it all didnt melt away you would see residue on the bottom of the cup. Nothing large but its there and not the size of sugar grains but smaller. The car stills goes untill it gets warmed up pretty good. The area is about the size if you took a quart of trans fluid, dumpem it in the pan and added a teaspoon of sand in it. Not that course of large.

• 2 weeks later...

the 98 es300 states to use Dexron II or III for tranny. Any advantage to use Toyota T4? I am only goona perform a drain and add, so is the mixture of T4 and Dexron II or III ok?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I think I posted this somewhere else, but I'll post it hear as well.

Ther was a Toyota TSB (technical service bulletin) which stated the Dextron fluids are not interchangeable with the Toyota type fluids and this was not recommended.

So if your dipstick states Dextron 2 or 3 use 2 or 3 ( don't think they make 2 anymore) and if it stats Toyota type 2 or 4, use the Toyota type 4 (4 supercedes 2 I think).

• 7 months later...

I've searched the forums concerning the use of DEXRON III vs. TOYOTA T-IV. I've a 94' ES 300 with 82K and in the manual it states use a DEXRON II and also states it on the tranny dipstick. Contacted LEXUS with my VIN to get the correct !Removed! on the appropriate designation of tranny fluid. They told me to use the TOYOTA T-IV.

Reason I started this project is that the existing fluid (fluid and filter was changed at 45K) is caramel brown in color and smells oxidized (tinge of being hot smell).

I took a handheld vaccum pump and drew tranny fluid from pan and replaced per LEXUS recommendation. Have performed this only one time (being 2 weeks ago). Tranny fluid turned brown again and smells oxidized after 4-5 days.

Any and all help with the recommendation and any thing else necessary to correct this problem will be greatly appreciated.

I've drained and filled 2X in the last 2500 miles and it is still a little darker than fresh fluid. So it will take a few drain and fills to get the color to the fresh fluid. My 98 es300 takes Dex III so I went with Redline D4 and feels great, no slipping. 1st drain and fill, the shifting seemed a little smoother. After the 2500 miles later and a 2nd drain and fill, the tranny feels great, still no slipping.

If the fluid does not smell burnt and is a little dark, the fluid is probably ok, it doesn't hurt to drain and fill though.

I totally understand going to the synthetic in your 98' and might perform this operation on mine as well. I know for sure that it will handle the high temperatures better than the mineral oil T-IV that I am using.

I have tried to get the specs on the Toyota T-IV but have come up empty handed. Dexron III specs are readily available anywhere. Have you heard anyone say that the T-IV supersedes the Dexron III or is there a special blend of additives or possibly a higher viscosity index oil ie. Type 3 utilized in the blend which handles heat much better over the temperature spectrum?

Have you heard anything about cooling capacity of the radiators not being sufficient for the tranny fluid? Does LEXUS specify a maximum temperature for the tranny fluid in operation based on ambient conditions?

By now, you've figured out that this is bugging the living s--t out of me and I not only want what's right to go in the tranny but want to know why it is breaking the oil down so quick.

Dude, appreciate the help! RDW

I was told by a Lexus tech that if your model calls for Toyota T-IV, use only that. I was also told that if your model calls for Dex II or III, use only Dex III (Dino or Synthetic your choice). The T-IV and Dex II or III are not interchangeable, there is a Toyota technical service bulletin that states this, I am sure a Toyota or Lexus tech can dig it up. This may be due to differences in frictional characteristics.

For the Synthetics, I like the handling of the higher temp, but in the Northeast, it handled the cold starts of -10 F pretty well.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed M2, I know at least the 00 & 01 ES's you can only use the Toyota type IV type fluid......, check your owners manual for the correct type of fluid for your specific year. Anything else (including synthetic) and your asking for trouble. I did a 100% change & the tranny shifts even better than before & I was impressed before I did the change! B)

:cheers:

My tranny fluid was brown and smelled burnt too, I had Toyota do a power flush w/ Type T-IV and everything is fine now. I don't know what type fluid you should use, but I would highly recommend a 'real' tranny flush - this will replace about 95% of the fluid in one shot.

It cost me $130 + $20 extra for the Type-T - well worth it!