Now That Winter Is Coming...do I Need Snow Tires?

hammer008

Definitely snows on all four wheels. I lived in T.O. for 30 years without them and then switched. No contest.

I would also get steel rims so that you don't have to keep switching . It saves on your nice rims during winter.

My ES is great in the snow just on normal all season tires, almost as good as my 4WD Explorer actually. In Syracuse though (we have family in Albany, well right outside Albany) you're gonna want snows probably though.

I have driven all-season tires thru all the winters here in NE (and yes, we have plenty of snowstorms!). No problems with the all-seasons other than the occasional slippage on steep gradients. Driver control is just as important as the choice of tires during the winter.

I have driven all-season tires thru all the winters here in NE (and yes, we have plenty of snowstorms!).  No problems with the all-seasons other than the occasional slippage on steep gradients.  Driver control is just as important as the choice of tires during the winter.

We have no problems cause we don't go out until the roads are plowed. Here all seasons are adequate. Very seldom do I drive on deep (>4 inches) unplowed roads.

If I traveled before the plows got out and did alot of driving on unplowed snowy roads......I would put a snow tire on each corner of the car. And like mentioned before, I would have dedicated steel rims for these tires.

steviej

I put dedicated ice grip tires on steel rims on both of our daily drivers, wife's ES 300 and my Subaru OutBack Wagon, and wouldn't be without them here in Southern Ontario. On snowy and icy roads they are FAR superior to all season radials. It comes down to the finacial resources you have. If you have the money, get ice grip tires (Toyo and Bridgestone get my vote) on separate steel wheels. If you don't, make sure that your all season radials are in good condition, slow down and be careful.

Lexusk8 & I have the Toyo Proxes TPT's on our ES & they are fine in the snowy conditions.....I too like steviej mentions don't usually go out untill the streets have been plowed after a large dumping of the white stuff....freezing rain? I just don't go out. ;) Those in a 'snow belt' area or in the mountains regions might want to consider snow tires. I know Toyo, Michelin & Yokohama have a very good snow tire line as does Bridgestone (but everyone know's how I feel about Bridgestone tires in general so on principal I'll never purchase any of their products & their sister company Firestone).

jw, what kind of winter rubber & rims did you decide on? The way my Toyo's grip, I never felt any need to purchase another set of tires & rims. :huh:

:cheers:

Lexusfreak,

I have Nokeas, from Finland. I can't remember the model of the tire, but it's a long name starting with H. I actually had gotten them for a '96 Infiniti I30 with 15" wheels, but when I got my Lexus last year, the tire dealer (Nantucket in Scarborough) said that they would fit the 16" Lexus and he was right. Refreshing to find an honest dealer. I had gotten quite the deal because I got a quote from him in September when nobody was interested in snows, and he honoured the quote in November. They hold the road well, but are somewhat noisy.The rims are just ordinary steels.

I'm not sure that Toyos were available in snows when I bought them, but I had put a foursome of Proxes on the Infiniti and loved the tires. Whenever I need replacements, my first thought will be Toyo.

I've heard good things about the Nokia tires for winter. I personally have lived in Toronto (Scarborough) all my 28+ years & never felt the need for winter rubber in any of the vehicles I've owned....nor do I have the room to store an extra set of rims & tires because I live in a condo with a small storage locker (wife has much more stuff than me :whistles: ). I've always put on 'top shelf' all seasons (usually Toyo or Michelins) for year round driving. If the weather is that bad out, I simply don't go out unless it's an emergency, but that's just me.

:cheers:

We live in Riverdale,with a back laneway where I have a tight open air parking spot. Since the city was amalgamated, they don't plow the laneway, so the snows really make a difference. Happy to have them on once snow comes, but also can't wait for March to get rid of tire noise on dry roads.

Does anyone have snows where the hum on dry roads is minimal?