I've Been Hit...

blake918

Friday was a day of great misfortune for me...my car got backed into. :( How embaressing; I got hit by a damn plastic car! :lol: My sister, a group of her friends, and I went out to dinner only to get a call that one of her friends backed into my car. Luckily, she is insured, so it will just be a matter of finding time to get the work done. The grey cladding will need to be checked since it is separated from the door, and I don't want it falling off in a few months, and there is a nice sized scuff on the lower grey cladding that extends on to the door. I hope it won't have to be repainted I know a few good body shops back at home, so I guess I'll go in this weekend and get everything lined up. Other than this, I had a great weekend logging about 700 miles on my old faithful tank! :D Just out of curiosity, any price estimations?

DSC00035.sized.jpg

DSC00034.sized.jpg

DSC00036.sized.jpg

price depends on wheather they bondo and repaint, or if they replace the door, loooking anywhere between $500-$1,000 depending on how they do it.

and before you tell me im nuts, just for a comaprison, to get that saturn completely repainted, will cost somewhere between $3500 and $5,000 depending on who you go to for a quality job (i aint talking maaco). and thats IF the body is FLAWLESS so all they have to do is sand and paint. so the $1,000 estimate seems to be about right.

OH Blake, very shocked and sorry to hear about the incident.

Good thing: You were not in the car nor someone else was.

The person called you about it instead of just rollin off!

Bad: Poor Saturn.

Sounds like this was the ticket to get your whole car repainted!!!

maybe you could get the hood repainted & blended too!! :cheers:

What a thought!! :D I'll keep my fingers crossed!

price depends on wheather they bondo and repaint, or if they replace the door, loooking anywhere between $500-$1,000 depending on how they do it.

and before you tell me im nuts, just for a comaprison, to get that saturn completely repainted, will cost somewhere between $3500 and $5,000 depending on who you go to for a quality job (i aint talking maaco). and thats IF the body is FLAWLESS so all they have to do is sand and paint.  so the $1,000 estimate seems to be about right.

Oh, no you're not nuts. I got an estimate to get my car painted, and I was given a $3k number! He said the bulk of that is labor time removing/installing the two tone panels. I dunno if I'd pay $3500-$5k for a paint job though. That's kinda steep. The guy that told me $3k for my LS painted our Cobra, and I don't know how much better it could get. The paint is beautiful, and it is smother than a baby's !Removed!. lol It is perfect. There's not a chance that Bondo is going anywhere near my Lexus...ever!! :)

OH Blake, very shocked and sorry to hear about the incident.

Good thing: You were not in the car nor someone else was.

The person called you about it instead of just rollin off!

Bad: Poor Saturn.

Sounds like this was the ticket to get your whole car repainted!!!

I wonder if the insurance company would be ok with them repainting the car in Cashmere?? B) Or they can atleast start with the door, and I'll pay for the rest of the car! lol That damned Saturn didn't have a scratch on it!

Thanks for all of the nice words. :D

I love the revision of the board; it's much easier to quote several people at once! Nice work Matt! ;)

Sorry to read your bad news Blake. I know how ill I get just when I see a new scratch on my car. <_< I do not even care anymore, because there are so many. I see it everyday in the parking complex at work- someone bumping into someone elses car. Actually yesterday- a actual person was hit by a car. No injuries thankfully, but parking lots can be dangerous. At work- people barrel out of their parking slots. No wonder there are so many accidents. :rolleyes:

Just wondering- was the Saturn damaged- or did its "dent resistant" body live up to its name? I am guessing it was the bumper that hit, so..... I have to admit- those cars are good standing up to parking lot dings, but in a more severe crash- the panels break open, but these cars have a metal "space frame" under those panels. Supposed to be safe cars, but who knows?

Good luck with the repairs- Hopefully it will not take too long.

Oh, no you're not nuts. I got an estimate to get my car painted, and I was given a $3k number! He said the bulk of that is labor time removing/installing the two tone panels. I dunno if I'd pay $3500-$5k for a paint job though. That's kinda steep. The guy that told me $3k for my LS painted our Cobra, and I don't know how much better it could get. The paint is beautiful, and  it is smother than a baby's &#33;Removed&#33;. lol It is perfect. There's not a chance that Bondo is going anywhere near my Lexus...ever!!  :)

good man, no bondo! BONDO BAD!!!

i was given an estimate of $4,400 To repaint my Ford Contour in Mocha Frost Metallic ( the color it was before). i was considering it, until i realized the paint wasnt all that bad...then i wrecked it before i could reconsider. :wacko:

man, i didn't even see this post :unsure:

sorry to here about that buddy.......the good news is you know the person who hit your car, so you know it will get fixed

its just one of those things that happens everyonce in a while.....i know it sucks though <_<

good luck with the repairs, i'm sure whoever you choose will do a great job.....the damage doesn't appear to be that big of a deal :)

I wonder if the insurance company would be ok with them repainting the car in Cashmere?? 

Or you can go wild and cooooll, like 'my IS430'!? lol. (see signature)

You came up with a very cool paint scheme on there, but I like dull colors best like beige and white being top. B) I like as little attention drawn to myself as possible; I could never imagine myself driving something that pimp! :P

Just wondering- was the Saturn damaged- or did its "dent resistant" body live up to its name?  I am guessing it was the bumper that hit, so.....  I have to admit- those cars are good standing up to parking lot dings, but in a more severe crash-  the panels break open, but these cars have a metal "space frame" under those panels.  Supposed to be safe cars, but who knows?

Good luck with the repairs-  Hopefully it will not take too long.

To be completely honest, I don't really know. I was more concerned with my baby! :) I'm pretty sure it was a bumper; I'm sure it just has a little scuff from where it swiped my Lexus.

sorry to hear that dood, i got hit too:( by a durrango:( now i have a lil dent on the rear right door and a small scratch

Did you get it fixed??

Oh, no you're not nuts. I got an estimate to get my car painted, and I was given a $3k number! He said the bulk of that is labor time removing/installing the two tone panels. I dunno if I'd pay $3500-$5k for a paint job though. That's kinda steep. The guy that told me $3k for my LS painted our Cobra, and I don't know how much better it could get. The paint is beautiful, and  it is smother than a baby's &#33;Removed&#33;. lol It is perfect. There's not a chance that Bondo is going anywhere near my Lexus...ever!!  :)

good man, no bondo! BONDO BAD!!!

i was given an estimate of $4,400 To repaint my Ford Contour in Mocha Frost Metallic ( the color it was before). i was considering it, until i realized the paint wasnt all that bad...then i wrecked it before i could reconsider.:wacko:

Woooh, that's a lot of duckets for a paint job! I'm still impressed that you got 385k out of that car, and she even ran after the wreck!

man, i didn't even see this post :unsure:

sorry to here about that buddy.......the good news is you know the person who hit your car, so you know it will get fixed

its just one of those things that happens everyonce in a while.....i know it sucks though <_<

good luck with the repairs, i'm sure whoever you choose will do a great job.....the damage doesn't appear to be that big of a deal :)

Thanks for the wishful thoughts. :) I have two body shops in mind that I'll let fix my car-the one that painted our Cobra(Camaro SS...bad! lol) and one that painted my neighbors MB. They both did excellent work, so I guess whoever can squeez me in soonest will do the work.

Thanks again for all of the nice words.

:cheers:

I wonder if the insurance company would be ok with them repainting the car in Cashmere?? 

Or you can go wild and cooooll, like 'my IS430'!? lol. (see signature)

You came up with a very cool paint scheme on there, but I like dull colors best like beige and white being top. B) I like as little attention drawn to myself as possible; I could never imagine myself driving something that pimp! :P

Hey,

Thanks for the compliment about the paint job. :)

I would like to have a IS300 for sure, but I don't think I'll paint it that color......maybe....or maybe not..... :whistles:

Would beige look good with light tan interior and black tint???? <_<

White would be the BEST color of your LS. Because all of the white LS400s I have seen have tan interiors, and your light tan would look awesome especially with that black tint. B)

Would beige look good with light tan interior and black tint???? <_<

Beige and tan interior go great together(very few car makers match beige exterior with black interior)-and Lexus and a few others make it extra hot with tan and light brown two tone interior :D , but you are right-my beloved 20% would have to go if I were to paint my car Cashmere. It just kills me that my beige ES doesn't have a single, solitary rock chip on it(it's been on the highway several times); I guess it's the lack of a clearcoating. As much as I'd like changing colors, I don't think I would; to me it just wouldn't be the same car. If I do decide to get my car painted, it'll be Black Onyx again; though, I would toy with the idea of one of those invisible bra's from I think 3m since I do drive a lot of hwy miles.

Beige/tan ES(Aren't upholsterers amazing!! You can see a little of the beige exterior w/ tan inside.):

DSC00062.sized.jpg

hey blake when you get a chance i would love to see some pics of your Cobra :blink:

u love those things....

i would rather have an SS camaro than a GT,  :lol:  but i would rather have a Cobra than an SS.if that makes sense :wacko:

I don't have any pictures of it on this computer. It's a '95 convertible we bought new...Opal Frost Met.(silver) with ultra rare red interior. Good, old fashion Ford 302 Cleveland. It's got a cold air intake, and we had the compression raised a tea, tiny bit-I want to say 9.5 10. With the cai and engine mod, it went from 235hp to about 285hp. She moves! B) I know what you mean GT<Cobra>SS...you want the most hp. :D

Honestly though, this looks like the perfect time to repaint it ;) Paint it all one tone.

Talk about peer pressure!! :lol::lol: j/k I'm thinking hard about the repaint though. I can't decide if I want to be completely broke or have a pretty paint job! I love the two tone, so it's staying! ;) Single colored Lexi that were once 2 look funny to me, but I have origionality issues, so it's probably just me! :wacko:

Sorry to hear about your incident as well.

I think going with one colour all the way is nice.

BTW have you talked to the insurance company to see how much they're offering to fix the problem?

I also think repainting the entire car would be better, since the good painter will extend the painting scheme to an area where no one will notice the paint difference. This is one of the reasons why insurance companies don't like to deal with body shops any more. :censored:

The $3-5k Price is mostly related to removing and repairing any physical damage to the body, and removing individual parts so that the painters can spray without covering up.

Woooh, that's a lot of duckets for a paint job! I'm still impressed that you got 385k out of that car, and she even ran after the wreck!

oops, meant 3,400, i was typing in the dark. :lol:

but yes it was still going to be expensive, but i inteneded to keep the car for many years. it too was a collectors item in my book, a true "drivers car" without all of the creature comforts, it had purley the love of the "sport" if you will. with 277,000 miles on the motor i still ran a 15.7 in the quarter with:

-Magnecore 8.5MM high conductivity spark plug wires

-Centerforce clutch and fidanza flywheel with over 100K on them

-K&N air filter and optimized Throttle body.

i attribute the motors long life to one thing MAINTENANCE. if you play/drive hard, maintain hard, its simple.

and yes, she ran after the wreck. i had to drive off off to the side of the road with power steering fluid and coolant going everywhere. she probably would have gotten me home, i was tempted when i found out how much the tow was gonna be ($185, for 3.5 miles...the truck driver was on rotation and i let the PD call him) to just take off the hood, leave it there and drive home letting the motor get cooled off via air and sorting out the mess later, but i figured that since he was here, might as well.

however, i did go out to start it the other day to drive her aroudn the block (mius power steering) and she started, ran fine for a second then sputtered and died. then she cranked but would not start. its not getting any gas...not sure why.,. i think i pinched a fuel line somewheres.

BTW, i bypassed the power steering pump, all i did was buy a serp belt for a car w/out a/c and bypassed the p/s pump instead of the A/C compressor, worked liek a champ!

she is still very much a part of my life. but for what it will cost to fix, i think i just havbe to cut my losses. i can buy 2 more of them and some goodies too for whatit will cost ($4,300 in damage, before paint, fixed with used parts).

ayway, sorry to threadjack...

did you get your lex fixed?

I say broke!

Paint it......paint it......paint it...... ;)

LOL

I found out that the body shop can paint the black parts of the car(since the two tone is still nice) for about $2k--sooo tempting, but I'm going to think about it some more before I rush into anything. I'm afraid that the the freshly painted door is not going to look right with the rest of the chipped up car, so that really makes me want to repaint.

BTW have you talked to the insurance company to see how much they're offering to fix the problem? 

I also think repainting the entire car would be better, since the good painter will extend the painting scheme to an area where no one will notice the paint difference.  This is one of the reasons why insurance companies don't like to deal with body shops any more. :censored:

The $3-5k Price is mostly related to removing and repairing any physical damage to the body, and removing individual parts so that the painters can spray without covering up.

I haven't spoken with the insurance company yet; I'm waiting to get all of her insurance info(it'll happen...she's a friend). Thanks for your concern.

Don't be sorry...I love off topic discussions! ;) I also agree that maintinance is the key to a long lasting car.

I've been busy with school, so I haven't taken any steps to get the car fixed yet. Today, I payed the body shop a visit. I found out that I have $1,390 of damage. Tomorrow, I'll start with the insurance and getting a rental car setup for the repair dates.

I'll keep yall posted

Edit: Forgot to mention $475 for a new door(the owner of the shop agreed that the door was curling at the seam, so I need a new one.) + $915 in labor.

I say broke!

Paint it......paint it......paint it...... ;)

LOL

I found out that the body shop can paint the black parts of the car(since the two tone is still nice) for about $2k--sooo tempting, but I'm going to think about it some more before I rush into anything. I'm afraid that the the freshly painted door is not going to look right with the rest of the chipped up car, so that really makes me want to repaint.

I also think repainting the entire car would be better, since the good painter will extend the painting scheme to an area where no one will notice the paint difference.  This is one of the reasons why insurance companies don't like to deal with body shops any more. :censored:

I haven't spoken with the insurance company yet; I'm waiting to get all of her insurance info(it'll happen...she's a friend). Thanks for your concern.

Don't be sorry...I love off topic discussions! ;) I also agree that maintinance is the key to a long lasting car.

I've been busy with school, so I haven't taken any steps to get the car fixed yet. Today, I payed the body shop a visit. I found out that I have $1,390 of damage. Tomorrow, I'll start with the insurance and getting a rental car setup for the repair dates.

I'll keep yall posted

Edit: Forgot to mention $475 for a new door(the owner of the shop agreed that the door was curling at the seam, so I need a new one.) + $915 in labor.

O/T: the contour wouldnt start because the Emergency fuel pump shut off had activated. runs fine now! :D

on topic: DAYUM! thats alot of moula. go ahead for $2K more and pop for the repaint, ESPECIALLY if you intend to keep the car for another 5+ years.

and as long as insurance is paying let them do EVERYTHING, but if you were going out of pocket, iwoudl say hang the door yourself, thats the easiest thing in the world to do.

are they going to replace the "door skin", or the whole door?

ESPECIALLY if you intend to keep the car for another 5+ years.

This beast is going nowhere anytime soon! Dropping $2k is still hard to stomach (for a college freshman anyways) regardless of how long I plan to keep the car. I've really started to get used to it(the crappy paint). I'll drive it until I can get a new/er one. I don't think it's going to give me much trouble along the way either! A few little annoying things here and there, but nothing that I can't live with! Good Lexus!

Good to hear that you got your car running. ;) What are you going to do with it? That's just for the "outer panel" which I suppose is a skin, no?

ESPECIALLY if you intend to keep the car for another 5+ years.

This beast is going nowhere anytime soon! Dropping $2k is still hard to stomach (for a college freshman anyways) regardless of how long I plan to keep the car. I've really started to get used to it(the crappy paint). I'll drive it until I can get a new/er one. I don't think it's going to give me much trouble along the way either! A few little annoying things here and there, but nothing that I can't live with! Good Lexus!

Good to hear that you got your car running. ;) What are you going to do with it? That's just for the "outer panel" which I suppose is a skin, no?

yes the outer panel of the door is the "skin"

for right now its just sitting...its got $4,300 worth of damage, the airbags deployed and blew out the front windshield....and cracked the dashboard.

i may just say screw it, drop a cobra V8 and custom chassis, cut the flor out, bolt/weld a RWD drivetrain in there and go to town in the SCCA... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally an update...I found a really nice body shop close to school that's going to do the repairs. I was relieved to see a '04+ LS430 and 2 ES's waiting to be repaired. I had them do an estimate for me, and they found $1,755.06 in damage. :o I decided to let them to do it for a few reasons but mainly because they aren't going to replace the door since the one on there now has the matching VIN sticker. They are going to pull the dent, put a new two tone molding on at the bottom(which they have listed as a $726 part?? I don't know where they buy their parts from. I checked ParkPlace Lexus's price, and they have it listed for something like $400), and blend it all together. The repair price will probably go up since I've been hearing a rattle in the door ever since the collision.

This place quoted me $5,203.73 for a complete paint job on my car! :o WOW! I'm just going to live with the dismal paint for a while longer, and get the body shop near my house to do it for $3k.

I must say that State Farm's claims service has been excellent! I got the claim number on Tuesday, and I can go drop my car as soon as the body shop can take me. I'm saying they are excellent now, but tomorrow, we are probably going to have a little tiff over the rental they want to stick me in. I'll settle for a Crown Vic, but I'm telling them to reserve a Lincoln or Caddy for me...because I'm not folding myself into some POS Malibu or Grand Am something.

I'll have pics when it's all done with...