Engine Loss Of Power

TMaxxTim

I have a 1992 SC 300 5spd with 141k on it. Alright so I start my car this morning, its been raining and its cold outside, starts up fine. Pull up the driveway notice it seems like I'm going to stall but I'm also wearing my shoes so I just think I'm working the clutch a little weird or something. Then I continue to drive out of my neighborhood and seem to notice that my car doesn't have much power to it so I kinda figure its just cold out and the engine needs to warm up a bit. So I pull into a neighborhood because its still weird and I pop it in neutral and try to rev and it revs up very slowly. I figure whatever I'll make it to school and I'll worry about it later. About halfway there my car just loses all power and when I try to start it, it just stays at 200-300rpm, vibrates a lot and then dies.

The clock reset itself once on this trip and I'm thinking it might have something to do with the battery. I installed my amp last night (yes, I put in the turn off switch) and during that the positive battery connection wasn't the best because the car would have power until I started it, then I fiddled around with the cable connection and it was fine. Now my car starts fine with full power, but doesn't stay started.

Any suggestions/ideas at all. I'm hoping its just the battery but it could be the headgasket or something I guess. Would I have seen smoke out my exhaust if something like that had happened? Thx a lot, my car's sitting in a church parking lot right now. I've had it less than 2 weeks and its already stranded me. My accord never did!!! But I still love this car more.

Tried adjusting connections later today, didn't work. Now it just turns over with not even a hit of wanting to start or die. I'm thinkint its not getting fuel and from reading over at clublexus it seems as thought the fuel pump or fuel pump ecu might have gone south. Either way I had to ahve it towed because its not at home to work on and instead of paying to have it towed to my house I just had it towed to a local shop...hopefully its nothing huge.

it might be the ignition coil

I hope its something simpler like that, at least not very expensive. I called this morninga at 9 and they had it up on the lift looking at it, its no 12:30 and I haven't heard a call back...not sure if this is good or bad but I guess the longer it is the worse it is.

it might be the ignition coil

I hope its something simpler like that, at least not very expensive. I called this morninga at 9 and they had it up on the lift looking at it, its no 12:30 and I haven't heard a call back...not sure if this is good or bad but I guess the longer it is the worse it is.

Sometimes the fuel system needs cleaning. Buy one of those concentrate fuel system cleaners with your next fill up.

I'll do that next fillup. They called back and there was water in the spark plug holes and all the plugs were corroded (keep in mind they were just replaced before I got the car). After that and filling the coolant back up (I hope thats unrelated) it started fine and he said there were no problems. Anybody have any idea how to keep water from getting in there again, its the only morning thats rained since I got the car and I don't want this to happen again because obviously it won't be the last.

well the throttle body runs coolant through it and the throttle body is above the middle spark plugs, and you take the throttle body off to change plugs. water could have gotten around the plugs while puting things back together or a leak could have developed from a hose or something in that area.

If it not a Coolant leak, then it is possibly rain entering the engine compartment. The Undertrays were notorious for coming loose and sagging and many owners removed them. This tray diverts water and road debris from entering the engine compartment. Check and see if this is still in place. If you look straight down through the engine compartment, behind the radiator, you should not be able to see the ground.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...