Oil Change

Hey I have 108,000 miles on my 1995 SC 300...I need 2 change my oil...i want nothing but the best for my car...so what kind of oil do u think i should use? What brand Oil Filter should i use?

Also...

Air Filter...should i go with Air Hog Panel Filter (Guys at Auto Zone said that this works better than the K&N Panel Filter and its cheaper)

Spark Plugs...Bosch Platinum 4, NGK?

Thanks alot...

If you change your oil every 3,000mi you can use regular penzoil purebase oil or other high quality regular oil. If you change oil every 5,000+mi, I would use mobil 1 synthetic. I use lexus or nippon or advantex or wixx oil filters. Don't skimp on quality when it comes to oil filters. I also put in NGK iridium spark plugs and am very satisfied with them. I have a ram fx foam air filter but don't think they are available anymore so you should check other responses for advice on air filters.

If you change your oil every 3,000mi you can use regular penzoil purebase oil or other high quality regular oil.  If you change oil every 5,000+mi,  I would use mobil 1 synthetic.  I use lexus or nippon or advantex or wixx oil filters.  Don't skimp on quality when it comes to oil filters.  I also put in NGK iridium  spark plugs and am very satisfied with them.  I have a ram fx foam air filter but don't think they are available anymore so you should check other responses for advice on air filters.

alright thanx...

If you change your oil every 3,000mi you can use regular penzoil purebase oil or other high quality regular oil. If you change oil every 5,000+mi, I would use mobil 1 synthetic.

I have to disagree with this, based on costly personal experience. In fact, the reverse is true.

Synthetic oils are more resistant to breakdown due to heat, but they are WORSE at handling and suspending contaminates. A synthetic oil will cause engine damage at a lower level of 'dirtyness' than regular oil will. Therefore, you must change synthetic oil sooner and more frequently than regular oil to avoid this costly possibility. Regular oil is far more forgiving and can be driven 'dirty' without severe repercussions. If you ever 'forget' to change oil until its just 'a little' late, then synthetic is not doing you any favors. If you 100% absolutely, pit-crew-religeously, change your oil every 2500 miles AND include quality filters in each change, then synthetic will kick the **** out of regular oil. Unless you are that pedantic, and most people are not, then use a high quality regular oil.

I live where its over 120 during the day and I run my car hard for long hours and I've never had oil breakdown problems, but I *did* have to get a whole new shortblock due to ONE round trip from AZ to MI and back while I was using synthetic. I had driven ~1000 miles on the oil before the trip and didn't think a change was necessary and I was short on time, so I didn't get one. By the time I got back, the combination of synthetic's inability to suspend particles beyond a certain amount and the long hours of fast driving in very dusty conditions(yes I had a new air filter, but that doesnt stop everything) caused severe wear on the engine, to the point that even though I changed the oil the day after I returned, the engine had already worn to the point that they had to replace the entire short block after I spun a bearing a few weeks later. After the mechanic at the dealership explained what damage he saw and what he thought caused it, I researched the issue and what I said in the first paragraph is the result. This was at ~60K miles, and was under extended warranty(the extended warranty didnt say you couldnt use synthetic, and doesnt require proof of every oil change's milage, unlike the standard Lexus one), so the $8400 repair bill didnt cost me anything, and if you take this info into account when selecting oil, it won't cost you anything either.

p.s. I'm back to regular oil now, and 14K miles after the short block change, there are no signs whatsoever of wear, and I havent altered my driving habits either. And yes, my 95 5-speed SC300 only has 74K miles on it. Should be good for a while :)

I Got 450,000 km out of my camry. 5w-50 synthetic every 20-25,000 km... lol

I would use the Toyota air filter ONLY. It has proven to be on par with the other filters for power on the dyno, and filters arguably better than the others.

Plugs.... factory

Filter.... check planetsoarer.com, I think there's a factory filter that's excellent, and one that's garbage. That site has part numbers for both...

HTH,

Aaron

okay okay...lemme get this str8!

i should use a high brand regular oil over a synthetic oil...

what brand and weight do u think i should use? i live in cali(75-80 degree weather right now)...

and do u know if i can use the air/oil filters from a supra(93-00)? i know alot of parts and things like that r interchangeable...

The na Supra and the SC300 both have the 2jz-ge engine, so the parts are identical. The owners manual and shop manual tell us to use 5w-30 oil. There is nothing to question on that and no reason to do anything else in normal use.

Amsoil Series 2000 0w30 Severe Service Synthetic motor oil. Mail order only. Not cheap, but the best hardly ever is. Spit on Mobile 1... it's garbage. Wizard... I dont know what happened with your deal. When changing my Amsoil it comes out black. I would say it suspends particles just fine. I drive very hard and have driven from TX to CA (through AZ)... also TX-NC, TX-TN, TX-FL. I've put some serious mileage and have been in excess of 140mph with absolutely no problems. Through subsequent oil changes, I feel that the Synthetic has actually removed dirt and deposits left from years of non-synthetic.

Amsoil Series 2000 0w30 Severe Service Synthetic motor oil. Mail order only. Not cheap, but the best hardly ever is. Spit on Mobile 1... it's garbage. Wizard... I dont know what happened with your deal. When changing my Amsoil it comes out black. I would say it suspends particles just fine. I drive very hard and have driven from TX to CA (through AZ)... also TX-NC, TX-TN, TX-FL. I've put some serious mileage and have been in excess of 140mph with absolutely no problems. Through subsequent oil changes, I feel that the Synthetic has actually removed dirt and deposits left from years of non-synthetic.

I agree totally with your statement BMan!!. My engine is cleaner (internally) due to the amsoil. There used to be light yellow film on the dipstick and the lifters (looking closely with flashlight)........now its all gone and shiny clean!!!

Several LS400 users use Amsoil and go 10k to 25K on an oil change (just the filter every 6 months or 12.5k miles). The oil gets very dirty but protects just fine!!!

I change my Amsoil 5-30w every 5 k..........

Use toyota filter (oil and air)

• 1 month later...
The na Supra and the SC300 both have the 2jz-ge engine, so the parts are identical.  The owners manual and shop manual tell us to use 5w-30 oil.  There is nothing to question on that and no reason to do anything else in normal use.

I put AMSOIL synthetic in mine at 16499, currently have 26922 and will be changing filter at 30k which is what AMSOIL states. I will keep you guys posted on my findings.

soyday@gmail.com

95 Lexus SC400 and 01 Honda S2K.

The oil topic is of much debate in these forums.......some like dino, & others (including myself) like synthetic. I'd use Mobil 1 synthetic higher mileage (10W 30 should be fine). Spark plugs I would use iridiums either Denso or NGK's. B)

:cheers: