High Mileage Es 300

timothy

interested in 97,98 es 300 with over 100,000 miles. what caution areas should I be looking for? timing belt, sensors,etc.? driving es 330 now, looking for second car. Looked at a few for 8900.00 to around 10,000. any tips would be helpful.

Timothy

• Like 1

Make sure you have the complete maintenance history as well.    B)

:cheers:

Is this too obvious? At 120,000 you need a major service that costs around $1500 at the dealer. My 97 for example might have a market value of $7k, it is in GREAT shape, but in addition to the full 120k mile service (including timing belt) plus recommended valve cover gaskets and p/s pump would be an additional $2,500 at the dealer. Caveat emptor!

MNJack,

Lexusfreak was referring to the actual record of what was done to the car in the past. When buying a car it is wise to inquire and see proof that the proper maintenance was performed. I would shy away from a car that has 110,000 miles on it from an owner that changed the oil and filter "whenever" as opposed to the identical car from an owner that religiously changed the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Do you see where he and I are coming from.

Your point is well taken about major services coming up, but simply stated, a view at the maint. history of a car can tell you alot about the car and how it was treated.

steviej

• Like 1

High mileage ES's (from the '97-'01 era) can be a bargain if of course the price is right and the maintenance have been up to snuff.

As an example, I purchased my '01 ES last year for less than $14,000 after trade-in, and it had 64K miles at that time. I did not find a major problem with that car for the last year and a half that I have owned the car (other than the low idle problem, but that was recently fixed and partially my fault when I had a K&N filter installed). I'm currently up to 96K miles, had the 90K service done a few months ago, and this car still feels like a brand new and peppy car despite the high mileage :lol:

High mileage ES's (from the '97-'01 era) can be a bargain if of course the price is right and the maintenance have been up to snuff.

As an example, I purchased my '01 ES last year for less than $14,000 after trade-in, and it had 64K miles at that time.  I did not find a major problem with that car for the last year and a half that I have owned the car (other than the low idle problem, but that was recently fixed and partially my fault when I had a K&N filter installed).  I'm currently up to 96K miles, had the 90K service done a few months ago, and this car still feels like a brand new and peppy car despite the high mileage  :lol:

That's the key - the price must be right.

Too many people think a 3 year old lexus with 60 K miles is still worth $22 K. As far as I'm concerned, you need to save a good bit of money to justify buying ANY used car with high mileage. What was the value of your trade-in? "$14,000 after trade-in" doesn't tell us anything.

Sorry about that.  The purchase price for my '01 ES was $18,900 at that time (asking price was $21K).

Glad you're happy. Personally, that's considerably more than I'd spend for a 4 year old car with 60 K miles, but people obviously see this issue differently. And the asking price is just plain ridiculous.

I re-read my post and see you may have taken it wrong. I quoted lexusfreak because I agree with what he was saying and understand the importance of the maintenance history. I was asking if MY point was too obvious, that in addition to reviewing the maintenance history of the car you should also be aware if a major (and expensive) service is due soon or has just been performed. :cheers:

• 9 years later...

Maybe you guys could give me some good advice. I had a 2000 Lexus E300 until New Years Eve when a drunk driver totaled it for me. I am now looking to purchase another Lexus in a price range of $8,000-$9,000. The 2000 I purchased 5 years ago for $8500 with 84k miles. I loved that car. I just put a second set of new tires on it, over $1,000 in maintenance last summer to keep it healthy. The insurance Co and I do not see the same value for my car but they have the money and I need a car. I've found a few and not sure what to do. I can buy a 2005 ES 350, 120k miles for $8,000. I'm not afraid of the miles because I know how well my other Lexus ran. Am I better off stretching myself by spending $9-9500 and getting one with 80k miles or is the one with the higher milage and lower price a good deal?

Everyone is telling me to look at Nissan, Honda, etc but I am a Lexus girl through and through.

Advice?

Thanks,

Lizzybluts