Snow Tires

fjstl

There are probably lots of good models of snow tires and my opinion is that the key is to look for true snow tires instead of all season tires that have a "M + S" on the side wall. The "real deal" has a "mountain / snowflack" symbol on the side wall. There is a huge difference in performance in snow.

Last November I bought a set of four Bridgestone Blizzaks mounted on Mille Miglia Bello wheels from Tire Rack last year for $880. I normally buy winter tires in the spring and summer tires in the fall to get the bet deals but had to skip that routine this time since I had just bought the car.

It was hard to believe how well the 00 LS handled a 10" snowfall. I powered right by a whole lot of SUV's spinning their wheels in the snow and barely able to move. But the Blizzaks were brand new, and the "snow mode" traction control and VSC were continually kicking in.

If you buy snow tires mounted on wheels balanced with tape-on weights, remind the sellor of potential clearance issues between tape-on weights and the front brake caliper. I found out the hard way.

Also, it is may not be good to have better snow tires on the front or back since you could end up having better traction and put the car into a spin. Better to have tires of similar mileage and model on both ends.

Bridgestone Blizzak's are awesome tires - you *almost* feel as if you are driving on dry ground instead of slush and snow. The WS-15's or WS50's are quite capable, but the LM22's are more performance oriented. I didn't like the Nokian's that I tried, despite the snowflake and where they are made. I wouldn't for a second consider putting snows on the rear and keeping all seasons on the front as the difference in handling is too great and like someone else said could put you into a nasty spin. Good luck!

I have a 97 LS 400 with 150k and live in the northeast. I plan on placing the best snow tires on the rear. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Living in Finland I dare to assume the title "Expert". So here we go. Every year our very distinguished car magazine ("Tekniikan Maailma" ? world of engineering) tests winter tyres. I don't know the law in differrent states, but in Finland you are allowed to drive with spike tyres. So here is the list of top tyres that all can be recomended. They are all the latest technology.

with spikes:

• Continental Winter Viking 1

• Gislaved Nord Frost 3

• Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4

friction tyres:

• Continental ContiVikingContact 3

If you drive mainly in rural areas, friction tyres are perfect.

Only reason to have spikes (at least here in Finland) is in the cities where you have busses polising the road surface. Only spikes can grip those slippery marks left by busses.

I have a 97 LS 400 with 150k and live in the northeast. I plan on placing the best snow tires on the rear. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Take a look at Nokians. They are a Finland tire and I put them on my 2000 LS and had no problems. They are cheaper then Blizzaks and the tire compound is full depth. Blizzaks have about 1/2 snow traction then become a regular all season tire when you burn through that tread. This year I will put the snows back on the car but bought a winter car so the LS should stay out of the snow all season.

Just my $.02

• 1 month later...

I live in MN and looking to get snow tires. last year I ran Michelin Alpin 2 on Infiniti. I was quite happy with them. It seems from my limited experience with my LS that it is just about the worse handling car in the snow you can think of. I was going to park it for the winter. Not able to do it this year. Think I will try the Blizzak's.

Hi,

I just picked up some Nokian Hakkapeliita 2's and had a chance to try them. I think they are awesome on my 1991 LS400 and that is without weight in the trunk.

The studs are from the factory and so should stay in better. And noise, my friend stated and I would agree that they were more quiet than the Blizzaks I had before these. I was happy with the Blizzaks as well. Good snow tires will beat all season tires in the winter anytime.

daffy

I just bought a set of Dunlop Graspec II for my daughters car. She goes to school in Blacksburg, Va which is in the mountains and gets consdierable snow. I bought them from the tirerack.com. absolutely awesome. I ordered them Monday afternoon, and they were at my house on Wednesday. Perfect, mounted, balanced and delivered, cheap!

They also have an excellent review section on which can be filtered. Great reviews from real poeple with the same car as you. Dependeding on where you live, different tires may be better for different situations. Study the reviews, determine you needs and decide. They have great tire and wheel packages for snows.

Denny