Just Ordered My Toyota Nav

sunman

I just ordered my factory toyota nav system with jbl amp. Very very cool unit. Touch screen and widescreen also!!!! I can't wait to install it but will have to wait till my exams are over in a few weeks. I will also fabricate a custom trim piece to match factory appeareance.

Please post some pics when you are done. I'd love to see what the nav looks like in the '95.

If you don't mind me asking.... Did you order the unit from Toyota (or Lexus) direct or did you go somewhere else? I'm also curious what you paid if you don't mind disclosing that as well.

Congrats and good lick with the install.

your profile says 95 ES on the sidebar?

One hell of a project if you can get the small parts to make the rest of it work

better and easier to use an avicn-1 from pioneer.

Personally I would prefer the in-dash, flush fit of the Toyota system over the Pioneer. I don't like the look of most aftermarkets in the large dash opening of the Lexus unless it is a double DIN sized unit. Even if the work is done well and a custom insert is put in, it looks out of place with all of the extra space around it.

That being said, the Pioneer has some nicer features and is probably a better system overall.

Any idea if the Toyota nav will work with your existing CD Player?

It is fairly easy to do except the trim piece. All other signals are easy to wire up. The audi nav is a pain! I did one a few weeks back and there are so many wires needed from all over the car. The benz is probably the easiest I have done.

I just received the nav systen. Checked all wiring. Seems like the pioneer amp will be fine for the nav system. The only 2 wires I need to get are the speed signal and reverse signal from the instrument cluster. THe dimensions of the unit are perfect for the opening of the dash. I will have to get a trim piece fabricated for the trapezoid opening since the nav is rectangular. This baby has to many features in it! Even all the maintaince reminders built in for everything including ATF, Oil change, brake pads, etc. There are so many options. I will post pics when i finish.

I HAVE BAD NEWS FOR YOU. THE TOYOTA WIRING IS ALL TOGETHER DIFFERENT THAN THE LEXUS WIRING HARNESS . THE CONNECTORS MAY LOOK SIMILAR BUT THE PINOUTS ARE ALL DIFEREENT. WHOEVER TOLD YOU THAT THE TOYOTA NAV WOULD PLUG INTO THE 97 ES300 SYSTEM WERE QUITE MISTAKEN. ALSO THE ES300 CD CHANGER WONT TALK TO THE TOYOTA NAV HEADUNIT........................................................................ THE ES300 HAS 2 SERIAL COMUNICation lines and the toyta only 1 so you wont be able to match up the cd changer wiring even if you try to splice all the common wires.................................................................... also the toyota dash suround kits wont work for es300 which has the slope sided radio shape and the toyota is rectangular..................................................................................................... for the past several years i have been installing factory lexus nav units in lexus cars that came without them and that is a challenge even using the same exact year model nav that came in the lexus i am converting. lexus does not sell the navigation wiring harness. they were only available on the assembly line in japan if the car was ordered with navigation. so i make plug in and play custom lexus navigation wiring harnesses . . es300 didnt come with nav untill 2002 so making a wiring harness for a 97 would be quite a challenge.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,heres some advice when trying to plug in the toyota nav in a lexus. dont have the toyota nav hooked into the jbl anp when you plug it into the es300 wiring harness as you could damage the toyota nav. . i tried years ago using a jbl amp in a es300 on radio applications and it wasnt possible.even if i matcxhed up all the wiring there was terrible interfence when turning on the headlights. the antenna didnt work as toyota had no power antenna outputs. there has not been a jbl amp ever installed in a lexus so i know of no wiring harness that would work. whoever the toyota experts you are dealing dont know much about lexus cars wiring harnesses if they told you a toyota would be plug in and play on a lexus. they are out of their area of expertise when they get into lexus from toyota. ..........................................................................................sorry for the bad news but just trying to save you an expensive mistake. for future reference no toyota radio (15 and 20 pin ), amp (15 pin or 10 and 6 pin )or cd changer(12 pin) works on a lexus even though the plugs all may look the same. the cd changer functioning not as important since the toyota nav has a single cd in the headunit but i dont see how the amp would ever hook up correctly . also the 97 es300 amp is analog and the toyota headunit in 2004 is digital. even if somehow you could splice all the wires correctly the sound transmission wont work just like when you try to hook up lexus nakamichi audio unit to a analog pioneer es300 system. no sound is produced even though the headunit is displaying that the headunit is functioning. asd you can tell i have been trying toyota to lexus swaps for years and i havent found one that worked well yet. hopefully you will lead the way but just giving a freindly headsup on your project.

the nav works fine. I already wired it up. I have all the pinouts already. Also, I have the necessary connectors too. I spliced them onto my old factory harness. I knew the changer would not work and did not care. The trim piece is going to be custom made. The amp i used was the original Pioneer amp that came with the car since it accepts line level inputs from the nav. I had to get the speed signal and the reverse signal from the instrument cluster. I tested everything and it works great. I have done several nav installs for mercedes and even mercedes nav units in other cars. Anything can be done if you have the right resources. I have the wiring diagrams of the es so I had no problem and I also had the wiring of the toyota Nav system.

• 6 months later...

I find this topic facinating. I have a RX 330, 2005 model. I would like to play DVD's through the navigation system; I understand that this may not be possible because of the coding charactorists of the player vis-a-vis the disk (incompatable systems) I would appreciate a comment or two on this subject.

I would also like to bypass the DVD lockout when the vehicle is in motion. I have found www.rocoto.com/siennamods/body_dvd_mod.html

that speaks to this modification on a 2004 Sienna. It appears to be very simple task.

My question pertains to the wiring diagram supplied at this web site:

1. Are these the same color code as on the RX330

2. Where may I find info on removing the bezel. (Toyota does a remarkable job of hidding entry points!)

• 3 months later...