Coolant Change

chuckb

Actually Toyota (Lexus) has a new coolant called "super long life engine coolant" & it's pink in colour. It lasts much longer than the Toyota red stuff & should be compatible for your ES (I wish they had it available off the shelf when I did my coolant change back in Febuary :( but I replaced it with the red regular "long life" Toyota stuff but will be putting the new pink fluid on my next coolant change). The good thing about this new coolant is that it's already "pre-mixed" with a 55% - 45% coolant / water mix so you don't have to buy any distilled water......just two (possibly three for "top up's") one gallon jugs should be all you need. I know my capacity is around 8.5 litres or there abouts. Check out a couple dealers both Toyota & Lexus to get prices (I'm courious how much it is south of the border). Let us know & good luck! B)

:cheers:

thanks for the tip on the "pink"

I just talked to my toyota parts guy(Good friend of mine)-he said they got a bulletin from toyota not to mix it in vehicles with red

You can't mix with red??? Can you "replace" for the red though?

Could you clearify this with your friend?

Personally, I would stay red, it may be a little more effort to get some distilled water, but it comes out a lot cheaper. I don't mind doing a drain an d fill annually anyways.

I would think that if you did a flush of the red, I wouldn't think there would be a problem with adding the pink after a complete flush.

If you have red in there now then stick with the red and change/flush every 2 years or 30k miles.

Since the pink stuff is so new, I personally would let the pink stuff establish it's reliability in others people's car for now. Let is get out in the public and see what stories develop, good or bad.

steviej

According to the 2004 Toyota Gazette (a Toyota Canada publication that gives some news & advice on products & services for Toyota owners), the new coolant Toyota Super long life coolant (a pink fluid that comes already pre-diluted with a 55/45 mix in a 3.7 litre jug) last much longer than the regular Toyota "long life" (red stuff).

It is also fully compatible with earlier Toyota coolant according to the brochure. So your friend is misinformed and WRONG!

I guess his bulletin from toyota is wrong-Yah OK. I trust my friend & parts guy from toyota for ten years.

If you want to pay an extra $15 for a gallon of distilled water mix w/coolant go ahead

That's correct! The 'pink' stuff is pre-mixed as I mentioned earlier in this thread. And I saw the same article hammer that the Toyota Gazette mentioned. It's factory fill on many (if not all? :unsure: ) new Toyota & Lexus vehicles (I saw a brand new RX 330 a month or so ago in the showroom with it. It's supposed to last much longer than the red stuff & you should do a 'complete' fluid flush anyways before installing any new engine coolant so all old stuff is out & will not 'weaken' the performance or dilute the new stuff. B)

http://www.evanscooling.com/main25.htm This is the coolant I and my wife use in our 93 es300 and 98 gs300 have since ownership and always will , totally waterless and good for 500,000 mi. Say what you want and use the product of youre choice , But this product has proven itself to us over the years , The temps go from the 90's to 40-50 below here in mn. this coolant does not freeze [ only gels ] at 50 below so startup is effortless and it boils at well over 325 degrees HOW HOT DOES YOUR COOLANT GET ? OK ENOUGH SAID . B)

Their site & products look very intresting dc B) I have e-mailed them for more info. Where do you buy the coolant? IE: online or do they have a list of stores that carry their products? I looked but didn't see anything. Any idea if they distribute to Canada? :unsure:

I always have bought directly from the manufacturer from the internet and shipped to my door , The only time you buy more is for topping off after hose replacement or timing belt w/ waterpump replacement and the like service , You know it never , never boils over. Never corrodes and actually prevents detioriation of gaskets and seals - there is no water to oxidize and it actually lubricates the entire coolant system for smoother flow ++++++++ The best for mine and my wifes LEXUS , BAR NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also run NEO synthetic oil in both cars always have and always will www.neosyntheticoil.com My fatherinlaw knows a guy who bought his 1990 ls400 new and now has over 500,000 on the vehichle , When he bought the car he took it home and dropped the oil and used neo 5w-30 only ever since [ arizona car ] I don't believe in manufacturer politics when it comes to whom they contract with for there products , I prefer to make those decisions on my own .

Thanx ,

PS. I do use toyota tranny fluids B)

Thanks for the info dc......looks like an awesome product. I wonder as time goes along if it becomes more popular we should be able to buy it at everyday auto parts stores? :unsure: I'll e-mail them to see. That stuff isn't cheap at $25 each gallon jug. :blink:

• 2 years later...

Check out there site there is a list of dealers [ even in canada ]or email them for current $ .

Hi DCFish,

Can you please let me know how did you do it ? i.e. changing coolant from Regular to Evans cooling System?

Thanks,

Lexlover