What Is The Best Cell Phone Company?

93LSOwner

Army-

Sprint still supports the older 1x and 2x CDMA phones that they've sold in the past though. You would simply be unable to access features like their Vision service (which is no catastrophe trust me). I know several people who have conned each company to activate the other's phones and they work fine.

Take a company like Alltell then, exactly the same as Verizon yet Verizon won't activate their phones (Alltell has the V710 with fully intact Bluetooth.)

And no, Motorola isn't responsible for the deactivation of the Bluetooth features on the V710, if anything they're just another victim of VZW's bullying tactics.

you are correct, i didnt think about that. so i guess it could work for a while longer. Sprint (nor any other carrier) is not req. to support networks they do not sell phones for after 5 years. in other words, if they so choose, 5 years after the last 1x/2x phones wer sold, they can stop providing service on their 1x/2x netowrks.

thank you for correcting me steve. i had forgotten they werent always 3g.

and as i said, Motorola is Investigating the dealings of VZW and their disabling of the features of their phones.

Sprint is back on board with as as they just merged with Nextel, who is 100% motorola (or nearly). so VZW no longer has the monopoly on us.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did they change to 3G? Its been about 2 years now I'd guess.

Well my company uses Nextel which has the worst reception anywhere.. The group talk is great when it works, but reception is bad in the craziest places like the main freeway in the Sacramento, and Rancho Cordova area. Go figure. It cuts out in most buildings and is very frustrating as I have to use it to tether to my laptop and download service calls. My Verizon is exceptional. However watch your first bills on acquiring a new phone and make sure the service is as promised. There customer service lines are great at fixing these problems. As for the roam coming on in areas that were supposed to be covered. they reversed all charges and said they were acquiring other cell networks and roam may appear but you would not be charged for it. And so far they are right. I switched to a family plan that covers California and Nevada and am very pleased. The LG4100 camera phone is great so far and I am having a blast with its features.

lenore- Wait until you have some sort of problem needing support, a billing problem, a problem with your phone etc.

In my experience they're very helpful for the first 3 months.

I've had Verizon cell phone service for about 4 years now, and all my problems were handled very nicely, so in this respect I can't complain. In fact, the last time I called them they reduced my monthly service charges without cutting down my service minutes. :)

What KIND of problems have you had though? Hardware problems trying to be resolved in store etc?

The cutting down the charge is normal, they just came out with a cheaper plan.

Verizon replaced the phone completely because of a cracked hinge on my Samsung flip phone.

And, the price reduction was not because of a new plan. They realized that since I had a whole Verizon package(home and mobile) that I was entitled to a discount, so they credited my account the back payments. So, that's what I consider good service! ;)

But that was a clear cut problem, there was no diagnostic required. I sat in 5 seperate Verizon stores over the span of 3 months over an hour each AND spent an hour on the phone with Verizon fuming over the terrible treatment at one of the stores. The woman on the phone was nice, but not interesting in helping me and refused to transfer me to her supervisor. All I wanted was a $30 battery. There's just no way I'll continue to do business with the crooks once I have a viable solution. Sprint is not much better, and Cingular doesn't have reliable coverage yet.

So, I'm stuck. No thing to do but hope the lawsuits come through and Verizon has to re-activate the Bluetooth functions so our $700 in phones work like Verizon misrepresented to us that they would.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a Motorola i730 with Nextel. the signal is sucked here in Western NY. but it was working great in NYC when the time i purchased. by the way. they charged a way more than other companies for service.

• 2 weeks later...

CDMA is by far the greatest of all systems in use in US right now

GSM is based on the older TDMA system which has a lot of limitaions while CDMA is evolving into the new #g system which will have a lot of nice things.

verizon offers a phone that already can play straming video and auidio

CDMA development team promises download speeds of 115 kb/secs in the near future

the only operators operating using CDMA are verizon and sprint and sprint as we know is going through the hard times now despite the merge with nextel so the only logical choise right now is verizon, i agree it might be a lil pricey but what you pay is what you get.

I think the "best cell company" is so subjective on where you are located because it sounds like VZW service isn't so bad up in the northeast. I just got my bill for this month, and it's truely fascinating. In a 238 minute call, VZW dropped that particular call 7 times. That's completely unacceptable. :censored: And, it's not like I was in the backward country woods of LA; I was going down Interstate 20. I'll be through with them once and for all in April. It'll be the best $175 I could every spend. In Louisiana, I have yet to meet someone that has said anything bad about Cingular, so that's where I'm heading.

i have a treo 650 with cingular and had no dropped calls

strange, different situation for me. I've had several drop calls once in a while.

I was also mad at cingular when I found out that my $375 treo 650 was "locked" into their system. So i went to this forum thing for Treo owners and they gave some "secret" numbers so that you won't have to start from scratch when trying to get the subsidy lock code.

It was a piece of cake unlocking the Treo. Now for my V551, I have to find another SIM card just to unlock it (well at least they gave me my code!)

http://mytreo.net/forum?topic=7196.75

I think the "best cell company" is so subjective on where you are located because it sounds like VZW service isn't so bad up in the northeast. I just got my bill for this month, and it's truely fascinating. In a 238 minute call, VZW dropped that particular call 7 times. That's completely unacceptable. :censored: And, it's not like I was in the backward country woods of LA; I was going down Interstate 20. I'll be through with them once and for all in April. It'll be the best $175 I could every spend. In Louisiana, I have yet to meet someone that has said anything bad about Cingular, so that's where I'm heading.

I remember that vividly, as i was on the other end of the phone. we yakked for hours! LOL.

at any rate, you are right. IMO verizon has the right idea, btu they need to get their heads out fo their *you know where's* or they will never be the customer friendly company that they promise.

as far as customer service, which is what it's all about, it's definitely Verizon. I've gone from Nextel to Cingular to Verizon in 2 months, having the blackberry with both cingular and verizon, and cingular screwed me so badly I will never do business with them again.

let's just say my $69.99 bill came out to be over $1100.

let's just say my $69.99 bill came out to be over $1100.

wow, that's interesting. are you sure there's no period in between the two 00s in that $1100??

so far, i'm kinda *BLEEP*ed with Cingular with their "prorated this, prorated that" that my $80 turns out to be $121. hell, it was $140 before i cleared it out with them. Is Cingular like this??