I Am My Lexuseses Owner

ahoy-hoy. long time listener, first time caller. just picked up a '98 es300 (Lexus) for 10k. it had 72,000 miles and is in pretty good condition. just wondering what kind of preventative maintence i can look forward to in the next couple of thousand miles?

ahoy-hoy. long time listener, first time caller. just picked up a '98 es300 (Lexus) for 10k. it had 72,000 miles and is in pretty good condition. just wondering what kind of preventative maintence i can look forward to in the next couple of thousand miles?

It's going to be pretty hard to tell.

For example, let's say the previous owner averaged 35k miles per set of brakes. You'd have brand new ones. If they averaged 40k, then you're almost due.

If possible, I'd try to obtain the maintenance records. The dealer might have them.

If not, I'd suggest the following:

1. Change the oil and filter right away. Preferably, flush the engine thoroughly.

2. Flush the radiator and install new fluid.

3. Change the transmission fluid. It's quite possible that it's been changed, but it's also possible that it's been neglected. I'd rather change it than take a chance.

As for the rest (brakes, shocks, tires, belts, etc), I'd suggest having a mechanic check it thoroughly. This doesn't have to be very expensive.

Good luck.

find out if the 60k miles service was done. If not do it. It is total fluid replacements and spark plugs. If it was done, then save your pennies for the 90k service, that's the timing belt and tensioners.

If you can locate the service records from the previous owner, see if they were diligent enough to change the oil at least every 5k miles.

Find out the color and condition or the coolant and of the tranny fluid.

If you can't find any records, then:

-Change the oil and filter.

-Pull a spark plug from the front bank of cylinders and see if it looks new or very old. If old, then think about replacing them. The back three are a PITA.

-Bring the tranny/engine up to operating temp, while in park, pull the tranny dipstick, wipe it off and put it back in. Pull it out again and place it against a white rag. If the fluid on the stick is anything but cherry red, think about flushing it.

-The coolant should be red in color and can be seen in the overflow jug. If it looks brown and murky, then do a total coolant flush and replace.

good luck and welcome aboard.

steviej

Does anyone find it weird that Americans change their oil every 5000 miles, and Canadians change their oil every 5000 kms. . . . I wonder who came up with the magical "5000" number?

So:

AMERICANS = EVERY 5000 miles

CANADIANS = EVERY 3125 miles

or

AMERICANS = EVERY 8000 kms

CANADIANS = EVERY 5000 kms

That is quite a drastic 60% difference!

Regards,

Bryan

Does anyone find it weird that Americans change their oil every 5000 miles, and Canadians change their oil every 5000 kms. . . . I wonder who came up with the magical "5000" number?

So:

or

Regards,

Bryan

Well, given the cold winters, you're going to want to ensure that you have free flowing oil unless you want to deal with dry starts.

Of course, that doesn't explain why you'd need to change the oil that often in the summer.

thank you so much for the info. looks like the lady that had it before me changed the oil with synthetic every 3000 miles. that's all the records i have, so i think i'll lift up the hood this weekend and poke around.

thank you so much for the info. looks like the lady that had it before me changed the oil with synthetic every 3000 miles. that's all the records i have, so i think i'll lift up the hood this weekend and poke around.

My understanding is that if it was using synthetic that you'll want to stay with synthetic.

Fortunately, synthetic is much less expensive today than in the old days when $25 per quart was typical (back when regular oil was $1.00).

So:

or

Regards,

Bryan

Well, given the cold winters, you're going to want to ensure that you have free flowing oil unless you want to deal with dry starts.

Of course, that doesn't explain why you'd need to change the oil that often in the summer.

Hmmm . . . that is an interesting and valid point, but I think it is more due to the fact that 5000 is a nice round number. There are many areas in the State where it gets just as cold as up here in Canada, but they still follow the 5000 mile routine . . .

Regards,

Bryan

Actually bdonk, my 01 owners manual says to change the oil at 8,000 kms or 6 months (8,000 kms is roughly 5,000 miles!), I do 4 oil changes (use Mobil 1 synthetic) a year regardless, especially because of the remote possibility of the oil gelling issue on the 97 - 01 models.

:cheers:

Hmmm . . . that's interesting . . .

Maybe I should look in my '92 manual to see what it says about oil changes. Myself and everyon I know faithfully changes their oil every 5000 kms. Well, I guess it can't hurt to change it more often :)

Regards,

Bryan