Engine Under Cover

flanker271

I just built a 1/24 scale AMT Model of 90LS400. In the model there is a piece called the "engine under cover" that is to be glued to the bottom of the front chassis, right below the engine. When I went to my 92LS to have a look at this interesting parts, I noticed that it wasn't there! When I open the hood, I can see right through, all the way to the bottom of my driveway. There isn't any "under cover" that's protecting the bottom of the engine.

Does this part only exist for models other than 92? Can somebody pop the hood and see if there is any cover on the bottom?

Thanks!

I don't know why people take that cover off - you don't need to - but it happens all the time.

The cover is curved around the oil drain plug area and a small flap bends back to remove the Oil filter

Yes, if this was a typical oil change place they just left it off and probably threw it in the trash :chairshot:

The cover that you are missing is around $120 at the dealership, or much less at a wrecking yard. I have a '97 LS and plan on chaning mine out. Where it covers the oil filter has broken off and I would like to keep it in perfect shape.

IMO, I think it is a needed part for protection. To change the oil filter you have to remove 2 or 3 bolts and bend the cover out of the way.

BTW, I went and test drove a 01 LS430. Nice car, had bad tires, great power!

It is needed to direct the flow of air through the rad and keep noise levels and turbulence down

That sounds serious! It must be an important part then. How vulerable is my front bottom chassis without this cover? i.e. radiator destroyed by flying debri etc, etc, etc.

it makes the air go through the bumper and the rad and funnel under the car

What will it happen without this cover on? Will the air still flow through the rad but with more turbulance?

previous thread: underside of my engine

this is what i found. this is one of my posts from the thread above on page 4.

this should answer any and all questions.

my under engine cover fell off b/c the plastic cracked around where the screws went in. since i used to work at the local lexus dealer and know a few tech, i asked one of them what would happen if i left this cover off and never replaced it.

reasons why the cover is there as explained by drew stancil:

1. to protect from road debris from coming up and hitting something. examples: chucks of rubber on the highway that bounce off the road and hit something that is newly exposed, a plastic bag that might be lingering on the road while driving in town that is sucked up by radiator fans or the metal fan that is in front of your engine. if a fan gets a hold of a plastic bag, it might rip out a bunch of your hoses as it is spun at a high rate of speed. this would generally mess up your day.

2. provide a little help aerodynamically. this cover keeps air from becoming turbulent as it hits odd shaped parts on the underside of your engine. he told me this really is not an issue unless you are going over 120 mph, and even then should cause that big of an issue.

3. protect from water that might splash up when hitting large puddles. drew said that the only things that might be affected by water getting in there are belts and the like. its possible for water to reach the power steering belt causing stiff steering and a squealing belt until the water dries. another possibility is that water might get into your drive belt and..... not quite sure what he said about that but i guess it'll seem like you're in neutral. i asked about the alternator and other electrical devices getting wet and he said not to worry about it.

either way, my cover has been off for about a month and i haven't had any issues yet. the cover is too damaged to be fixed and i'm too poor to buy another one so... its gonna stay off.

Those who have cracks around the holes of their under-engine cover should get about 13 fender washers and a tube of 'GOOP'; glue 'excessively' the fender washers to the hole areas--bottom[outside] side---that way you will retain it.

I had to, it also had cracks, and I still have it and it is doing just great.

Suggest you take it COMPLETELY off to do oil changes---then you look and look and look for anything wrong, loose, dripping, etc-----how else can you know about all that stuff before something bad happens.